Droid X pre-order from Best Buy

B

b16a2smith

I have a question for those who got a Droid with a family plan but are not getting out of that contract...

Is it possible for you to:
1. Buy the Droid X and add as another line (+$10 plus options)
2. Replace your old Droid with a cheap eBay-purchased Feature Phone (let's say the EnV2) and drop your data plan on your Droid's line
3. Swap numbers between your Droid (now EnV2) and Droid X lines

So all in all, you are buying yourself out of your old contract for $10/month? Or is this a no-no? I'm new to Verizon and not really sure how things work there.

That is similar to what I am doing. I am....

Adding a line and getting the X for $150
Switching the X to my primary (Droid) line
Put an old junk phone on the new line
Sell the Droid. Should be able to get $250-$300
Cancel the new line after a month or two and pay the $175 ETF

Should just about break even and way cheaper than paying full retail.

Oh and just so you know VZW requires a minimum $10 data plan on most multimedia phones. So if you are gonna do it like that I wouldn't use anything like and ENV. Best to get an old flip phone like an old Moto V60 that you can get for a few bucks.

Don't even mess with the ebay crap shipping and all that stuff, do it when you get to best buy, just when you go into best buy buy a VZW prepaid samsung pay - as - you - go phone, 40$ and throw it on that line, best bet, promise. and its brand new.

tucsonstan

Reaction score
I pre-ordered mine yesterday from BB. Was the first on the list. Hope they don't misplace my order form. A lot can happen between yesterday and the 15th.

him

Reaction score
So the new ETF doesn't apply to dumb phones or it only applies to secondary lines?

The $350 ETF applies to any smartphone line carrying a $29.99 or higher data plan. All others are still $175. If I switch the X off of the new line and put an old flip phone on it that line becomes a basic line. I've been told by several sources that it will work.

I think there might be a hole in your plan. Your purchase Droid X purchase is based on a contract. Once you sign that contract in order to cancel that contract it will cost you 350 because that's the ETF your contract is signed under. So moving whatever phone to that line will still cause it to incur a 350 fee which is what was written in that contract. Not to be a downer but that's what it seems like to me.

I was looking at two options myself...trying something like that, or canceling my plan and just having my wife start a new line of service and just add my phone on to her's. Also what plan are you guys choosing that will allow you to get a cheapo phone for 10 bucks? I have the basic plan for 49.99. the first family plan is 69.99...

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Also what plan are you guys choosing that will allow you to get a cheapo phone for 10 bucks? I have the basic plan for 49.99. the first family plan is 69.99...

If you already have a family plan (other than unlimited minutes), it only costs $10 to add a 3rd through 5th line to it. I'm getting a family plan anyways, so I'm asking to plan such that I can get mostly-subsidized phones in less than 2 years from now. So what I'm thinking...

Me and my wife become new Verizon customers for Droid X (July 15, 2010) with 2x 2-year contracts on a family plan with 2 phones. Then when the Droid Q comes out on July 15, 2011, I can add it as a new line (+$200 for phone and +$10/month for new line and +$30/mo for data), replace my Droid X with a dumb phone (-$30/mo for no more data), swap phone numbers (free?) and I essentially pay $120 ETF to ride out the second year of that contract with the dumb phone and no data. This way I don't have to pay full retail nor the $350 ETF.

If that's not possible, should I look into getting a 1-year plan instead? Or is that even possible? How much of a premium do 1-year contracts generally come at? Again, I'm just trying to figure out how Verizon works, so muchas gracias for the help!

Unrelated...
I now have a Droid X reserved for me at Best Buy and a second one reserved at a Cellular Connection store that specializes in Verizon Wireless. Interestingly, the Cellular Connection guys say they can give it to me for $269 - $100 MIR and even cut me a deal on accessories (I apparently educated them quite a bit on the DX and accessories, specifically the multimedia dock and car dock, which they know are fairly hefty-priced accessories from the original Droid). I don't know which one of the two I'm getting, but I like to have a backup plan and options, and this gives me both. I'm sure neither of them will have issues with too many DXs in stock, so I don't feel bad for over-reserving... :p

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
But you're still paying $199 in the end. Either you give them back the gift card when you pick up the phone and only pay $150, or you pay the full $199 and keep the $50 gift card.

soulpatch

Reaction score
But you're still paying $199 in the end. Either you give them back the gift card when you pick up the phone and only pay $150, or you pay the full $199 and keep the $50 gift card.

+1 They put your deposit on the gift card since it locks many people in and they do not return gift cards so even if you do not get the phone you will be spending $50 at Best Buy.... Shrewd thinking on their part.

So you either use the gift card towards the phone and still shell out another 150 OR you spend 200 on the phone and then spend the gift card on more merchandise from BB. either way they get you for a min of 200...

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

+1 They put your deposit on the gift card since it locks many people in and they do not return gift cards so even if you do not get the phone you will be spending $50 at Best Buy.... Shrewd thinking on their part.

So you either use the gift card towards the phone and still shell out another 150 OR you spend 200 on the phone and then spend the gift card on more merchandise from BB. either way they get you for a min of 200...

Oh so that is how they are working it. Are you sure??? I assumed by putting a deposit down that takes away from the balance due. That is usually how preorders and deposits work. I put $50 down which would leave the remaining balance of $149.99. Use the $50 gift card when it comes in taking it down to $99.99. I thouhgt the $50 was an extra perk. If what you are saying is true then I'll just take the damn card back and cancel my preorder. Fuggum

hflpjtrade

Reaction score
I did the pre order at best buy and am eligible for New Every Two on 07/26/2010. I should be able to get the phone for the 199 discount right

soulpatch

Reaction score

Oh so that is how they are working it. Are you sure??? I assumed by putting a deposit down that takes away from the balance due. That is usually how preorders and deposits work. I put $50 down which would leave the remaining balance of $149.99. Use the $50 gift card when it comes in taking it down to $99.99. I thouhgt the $50 was an extra perk. If what you are saying is true then I'll just take the damn card back and cancel my preorder. Fuggum

It is exactly how it works as they did the same thing with the droid. Though you actually have a pre order and will have stock in hand on launch vs. havng to order online. You will be paying 199 regardless.

Should you decide to return the gift card good luck. Typically have a no return policy on gift cards and you will need to go to customer service and talk to one of the store managers.

Though I dont see why it would bother you anyway. 199 is 199 whether you order online or continue with your pre order at BB

soulpatch

Reaction score
I did the pre order at best buy and am eligible for New Every Two on 07/26/2010. I should be able to get the phone for the 199 discount right

If you get the NE2 discount than they shoudl apply that as well. Depending on how long you have been a member that would mean your total will either be 149 or 99