DROID USB/SD to PC Transfer issues

deoxy

Reaction score
I have googled and searched this forum for a couple of days now and I still cannot seem to find a solution to my problem.

I am running Win7 64 and cannot seem to get my DROID SDcard to mount properly.
I have followed the steps(turned on debugging mode, entered the drop down menu after the USB cable has been connected, hit the mount button.) My laptop recognizes the connection with a notification sound yet I do not see my drive. Repeatedly trying I rarely somewhat connect but am told to enter a CD. I was able to mount ONCE since i've had the phone and was able to transfer some mp3's and would desperately like to be able to do it again. I know Android is still young and having growing pains but this is turning out to be a HUGE annoyance. I bought the phone and dropped my ATT account to replace my mp3 player but sometimes Pandora just doesn't cut it. Do I need to connect it to a Linux distro or...what?

JonBattle

Reaction score
Join the club. I have the exact same problem. I can connect to my XP laptop - but Win 7/64 works one in 20 times. Sometimes the drive will come up..shows the SD card files and by the time I get there....its no longer online. Very frustrating.

My email is [email protected] if you ever get an answer on this.

Jon Battle, Plano TX

OP
D

deoxy

Reaction score
I will send you a solution if i get one. For now I am going to try and mount in Ubuntu.

Droid69

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 64bit and had the same problem but now it works fine. Here is what I did.

Disconnect your phone from the PC. Go to Device Manager and see if Motorola A855 is listed under Disk Drives. If it is uninstall it then reconnect your phone.

Mine started working fine after that it may of been a driver issue..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This seems to be a more common issue than I thought.

Sorry I couldn't help you Jon, but that was the best advice I had.

Have either of you tried uninstalling the phone from your computers or factory reset?

fibermick

Reaction score
SD card issues

I had to get a new phone because my card became very loose and wobbly. I thought the problems mentioned here were because of that. Turns out they werent. When I try to transfer songs to my phone nothing happens. Can't get iTunes to open on my new Win7 laptop so I can't transfer any songs (from discs) to library. Winmedia doesn't work. SD card when I unmount it says--busy. Only way to get back to music is to turn phone completely off. Crazy making.

OP
D

deoxy

Reaction score
This seems to be a more common issue than I thought.

Sorry I couldn't help you Jon, but that was the best advice I had.

Have either of you tried uninstalling the phone from your computers or factory reset?
I haven't tried a factory reset yet. I am curious to see if that does anything as I have already installed all of the latest drivers from the Motorola website and to no avail. Although after installing the driver and rebooting I was able to gain access for about 4 seconds then my windows explorer window just disappeared on my way back to my couch!(My laptop is hooked up to my TV) Will give it a try and if I fail I am just going to take it to the Verizon store to see what they have to say. I haven't spoken to any tech support as of yet.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i have a toshiba with windows 7 64-bit and mine works fine. at one point it didn't so i unmounted the sd card from the phone then put it back in and remounted it. that fixed my problem. maybe you took out yur sd card without unmounting it thru yur droid settings at one point?

OP
D

deoxy

Reaction score
i have a toshiba with windows 7 64-bit and mine works fine. at one point it didn't so i unmounted the sd card from the phone then put it back in and remounted it. that fixed my problem. maybe you took out yur sd card without unmounting it thru yur droid settings at one point?
:icon_eek:Actually I did take it out without unmounting it through the droid settings.:icon_eek: But this was after discovering my issue. I took it out and placed it back in to make sure it was in nice and snug like. My previously transferred mp3's were still on it when I put it back in.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
lol well i guess that didn't help ya then. my phone kept saying cant read sd card until i discovered the settings mount and unmount sd and my pc couldn't see my phone until i did it correctly! good luck tho!!

OP
D

deoxy

Reaction score
...I could always get a mini SD USB card reader...but I shouldn't have to.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
true you shouldn't have to, but i dont think it's really the droid's fault. mine is a toshiba satellite 64-bit with windows 7 and it sees my card. HOWEVER, it doesn't see it as droid...it just shows removable disk F. have you tried yur computer support ppl?

OP
D

deoxy

Reaction score
true you shouldn't have to, but i dont think it's really the droid's fault. mine is a toshiba satellite 64-bit with windows 7 and it sees my card. HOWEVER, it doesn't see it as droid...it just shows removable disk F. have you tried yur computer support ppl?
LOL no HP Tech support is almost non existent. I have a dv7. I am due for a new laptop *looks under Christmas tree*

325ryan

Reaction score
What if the usb symbol doesn't show up on my phone in the first place? Or could it possibly be that I have a bad usb cable even? I get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when I plug my phone into both my desktop and laptop pc's. It will take a charge off of them, however, so I don't understand what in the world is going on.

JonBattle

Reaction score
Thanks...I tried this. When I disconnect the phone...the driuver doesnt show up in Device Manager. I deleted it anyway - plugged phone in....reinstalled driver....but same issues.

Here is on point. I use DoubleTwist and have it set to start when phone is connected. When I plug phone in DoubleTwist DOES open - so the PC know the phone is attached. Problem seems to be in the SD card/Files area. Ill keep plugging away at this