Droid Turbo shuts off and won't turn back on unless plugged in

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hey guys,

My Droid Turbo has been randomly shutting off. It started once or twice a day, usually while in my pocket. It's now grown to 10+ times a day, sometimes while I'm using it, sometimes while it's just sitting on the table, sometimes charging sometimes not charging.

When it shuts off it will not power back on unless you plug it in. Plug it in, wait for the battery % to come up then it will power on. It does this at any level of battery (and like I said occasionally while charging). A few times it was above 80% charge and when the indicator came on after plugging it in it said it was a 5% or so. Other times it's come on and said 100%.

Should I look at getting a new battery? Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum!

Have you tried recalibrating the battery? Try this for a few days to see if the battery is out of calibration.
1. With the device powered on, press and hold the Power Button for 10 seconds until device resets.
2. Connect the device to the charger and allow it to charge completely to 100%.
3. Continue charging for at least 30 minutes after the unit has reached 100%.

Also, have you tried putting your phone in Safe Mode after it's fully charged? Safe Mode is a diagnostic tool to help troubleshoot problems and apps you have installed from the Play Store don't run. If the problem still occurs in Safe Mode then it's an indication that a Play Store app is not causing the issue. To put the phone in Safe Mode tap the power button and then long press the Power Off option (don't just tap it...long press) and a new pop-up will appear asking if you want to boot into Safe Mode.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I do that once every couple months at least for that reason. I last did it last week. I let it run down to about 15% then plugged it in and let it charge all night. I rarely use the fast charger. It's either sitting in the Qi cradle in my truck or connected to a regular slow charger every night. Unplug it in the AM and go.

I haven't tried safe mode yet, I'll give that a shot next. I don't have a ton of apps and none of them are new. I've got a few basics and a couple games and that's it. I haven't even installed any new apps in months. In fact i've uninstalled ones I don't use lol.

OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I did the format cache thing I saw on another post here yesterday. Took 3 hours and still wasn't done so I reset it. It went from 90% battery to 30% (while plugged in) then took forever to charge afterwards. Got home and plugged it into my turbo charger and it got to 94% then just sat there. Unplugged it and within 2 mins it was down to 78% and dropping fast (see screenshot).

I plugged it in to the same slow charger I use every night and by this morning it was back to 100%. Then I was using it at work this morning and it just shut off on me again with the same problem where I have to plug it in to be able to turn it on. Battery was at 90% when it shut off and was still at 90% when I turned it back on.

Batteries are cheap enough, I wonder if it's worth just getting one and trying it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180221-205209.png
    Screenshot_20180221-205209.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 347
OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Rebooting in safe mode now, will report any problems

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It does kind of sound like (and look like from your screenshot) that the battery might be failing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Yea, for $10-$20 it's a cheap thing to try

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My Droid Turbo has been randomly shutting off. It started once or twice a day, usually while in my pocket. It's now grown to 10+ times a day, sometimes while I'm using it, sometimes while it's just sitting on the table, sometimes charging sometimes not charging.

When it shuts off it will not power back on unless you plug it in. Plug it in, wait for the battery % to come up then it will power on. It does this at any level of battery (and like I said occasionally while charging). A few times it was above 80% charge and when the indicator came on after plugging it in it said it was a 5% or so. Other times it's come on and said 100%.

Should I look at getting a new battery? Thanks.
If it's over 20 months old, then yes. You could also try to flash the stock ROM (if that's what you're on) in TWRP to have a clean system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JDH

Reaction score
I started a thread for replacing the Turbo battery but not getting any replies. As I posted in the other thread I bought a Motorola battery online for a Razor Maxx and had tech do the install, its not all that simple. It didn't work so he put the original back in and it booted right up. I'm trying to find out if anyone has successfully replaced the turbo battery and if so where and how and cost.
thanks

OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Just go mine in last night. Took about 10 mins to do. Snap the back off, disconnect battery, remove the U shaped spacer, remove the 4 or 5 small torx screws holding the top cover on, peel off the Qi flex pcb (careful with the little temp sensor part on top) and finally use a plastic guitar pick or similar to pry the battery from the PCB carefully (it's glued on). Slap new battery down and put everything back together.

Got my battery on ebay for like $12 with free shipping. Came with the torx tool and plastic guitar picks but the torx was too small. Luckily I had the right size available form tearing the phone down to replace the screen previously.

Repl battery ahs been in for about 20 hours now and it's been flawless

JDH

Reaction score
That's good news, mine will arrive Sunday, going to have repair shop do mine just to be safe. Last evening it went to 0 and shut down on it's own. used slow charger over night and it seems to be fine today.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
That's good news, mine will arrive Sunday, going to have repair shop do mine just to be safe. Last evening it went to 0 and shut down on it's own. used slow charger over night and it seems to be fine today.
You may wanna put off that replacement procedure. A battery that allows a drain to zero (not a good practice, btw. Mid teens minimum safe practice for life-chemistry), may be ok. When the battery starts dying in the mid-20s, then you should swap it out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JDH

Reaction score
Good point, my battery has been performing like new since I calibrated. Think I'll just put my replacement battery in a cool place for a while

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try calibrating [again]. My battery is still going strong, but it's shutting off at sometimes 10-11% battery. Or it drains to 1%, shuts off and won't power back on....plug in and power up and it will show 10-11% charge.

Really annoying. You'll think you have battery left with 5-10% showing, and then it shuts off.

OP
S

sxrguyinma

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
That's what happened with mine except it started at 40-50%. Had to plug in to get it to turn back on. It was always a good as to eat the battery indicator would say too.

Sometimes it'd say whatever perfect it shut off at and other times it's read like 10%. Then I'd turn it on and in the middle of the boot up it'd shut off again. Unplug and plug it back in and then it says 80%.

It got to the point where it wouldn't even fully turn on before it shut off again. Then by chance the day my battery arrived it shut off and nothing would power it on. I'd plug it in and a green light would come on to the left of the front camera which I've never seen before in the 3 years I've had the phone.

The attached screen shot is with the new battery. That's like what it was when it was new. It's been 4 days with the new battery and it's been flawless since the swap. Do yourself a favor and just swap the battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180304-175802.png
    Screenshot_20180304-175802.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 331