Shut off and wouldn't go back on...

searayman

Reaction score
My droid just shut off and i couldn't get it back on even with a battery pull. I had to plug it into the charger to get it back on and it wasn't even a low charge.

MrCntry

Reaction score
I know this might sound silly. But when you pulled the battery and put it back in did you hold the power button down until it started back up? I know just by pushing the power button the phone will not turn on. I have to hold it a few seconds till I see the screen light come on.

My droid just shut off and i couldn't get it back on even with a battery pull. I had to plug it into the charger to get it back on and it wasn't even a low charge.

sir

Reaction score
i used an app that caused my phone to crash and i had the same issue. but keeping the battery out for 20 seconds to fully discharged did the trick.

jerry62

Reaction score
Droid will not turn on

It seems there is a much more serious issue going on with Motorola Droid models. I don't believe it's just a few bad models, I just believe the phone has a problem in general somewhere, perhaps hardware or software related or both. Hopefully and OS update will address the issues... See this post...

Droid will not turn on - Android Forums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It seems there is a much more serious issue going on with Motorola Droid models. I don't believe it's just a few bad models, I just believe the phone has a problem in general somewhere, perhaps hardware or software related or both. Hopefully and OS update will address the issues... See this post...

Droid will not turn on - Android Forums
With all due respect it is not a widespread problem. If it were there would be A LOT of threads dealing with this issue.

With that said, there is always going to be devices that exhibit this type of behavior. No way around that.

Could be issues with apps, could be the OS, could be hardware it's just hard to pinpoint one thing when dealing with this kind of technology.

Couple questions though.....

What apps do you have on your phone?

Are you using a task killer program? i.e. Advanced Task Killer?

jerry62

Reaction score
Well it certainly could be software related as stated, but I have seen a lot of similar complaints on other forums. Is there a known issue w/ the screen display and Advanced Task Manager? If so, that would be a relief...

1981shamrock

Reaction score
I have had this issue, too, where my Droid will just seem to "die" and it won't come back on (even when there's plenty of battery power left.) It has happened three times. The last time it happened, I was on my way to the Verizon store to get help when it magically powered on. I swear this thing is alive!
I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed that sometimes my chargers seem to work with my Droid, and sometimes they don't. It's definitely not the outlets I'm using. Sometimes it seems the charge indicator light will turn on and sometimes it won't. For example, when it won't work in my wall outlet, I will use the car charger and it will go on immediately. And vice versa when it won't turn on in my car, it lights up right away in my house outlet. Anyone else had this problem?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have had this issue, too, where my Droid will just seem to "die" and it won't come back on (even when there's plenty of battery power left.) It has happened three times. The last time it happened, I was on my way to the Verizon store to get help when it magically powered on. I swear this thing is alive!
I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed that sometimes my chargers seem to work with my Droid, and sometimes they don't. It's definitely not the outlets I'm using. Sometimes it seems the charge indicator light will turn on and sometimes it won't. For example, when it won't work in my wall outlet, I will use the car charger and it will go on immediately. And vice versa when it won't turn on in my car, it lights up right away in my house outlet. Anyone else had this problem?
are you using the oem charger for the wall? There are known issues with not using the wall charger that came with the Droid.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Well it certainly could be software related as stated, but I have seen a lot of similar complaints on other forums. Is there a known issue w/ the screen display and Advanced Task Manager? If so, that would be a relief...

ATK made my phone do exactly what yours did. Have not had the problem since I uninstalled.

Google Sky MAY be another culprit....

I don't want to spread misinformation but these 2 apps seem to show up in a lot of threads with people having issues with reboots or lock-ups.

I can say ATK jacked up my phone though.

ThievingMagpie

Reaction score
Mine shut off the other day too and would not come back on. I had to take the battery out and put it back in to get it to power on. I thought that it may be due to having GDE installed so I uninstalled it just to be sure. I really don't think that was the problem but I can't figure out what caused it. Motorola hasn't made a decent piece of hardware since the StarTac so I am slightly worried.

ThievingMagpie

Reaction score
Motorola hasn't made a decent piece of hardware since the StarTac so I am slightly worried.

What made you get a Droid then?

A few reasons actually: 1) I was due for an upgrade and hated everything else although I almost went for a blackberry 2) I'm a huge google fan 3) I heard that motorola actually put some effort in to this model (although I'm starting to have doubts)
My friend who has one already had to have his replaced because he started getting dust under the display screen and he had the loose battery door problem.
I do like the phone though and have faith that google will sort out the software bugs with updates, but there isn't much you can do about a bad hardware design.