Droid Turbo common issues?

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
I was just on a phone call, got put on hold so I switched to speaker to check email while waiting and a window poped-up saying I can't use data while on a phone call. I can only use WiFi to check email, web, etc. I've always been able to use data while on the phone before with other phones.
Anyone experience this before?

Sent from my Tapatalk'n Turbo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was just on a phone call, got put on hold so I switched to speaker to check email while waiting and a window poped-up saying I can't use data while on a phone call. I can only use WiFi to check email, web, etc. I've always been able to use data while on the phone before with other phones.

You might want to read through this thread:
Welcome to the Droid Turbo Forum Page 2 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

The Droid Turbo can surf and call at the same time if HD Calling is turned on. If it's not, then I don't think we have call & data capability at the same time.

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
You might want to read through this thread:
Welcome to the Droid Turbo Forum Page 2 Android Forum at DroidForums.net

The Droid Turbo can surf and call at the same time if HD Calling is turned on. If it's not, then I don't think we have call & data capability at the same time.
Thanks for that. Now my main question is does this HD calling still work on the prepaid plan. I know most of the Verizon apps don't work on the prepaid plan, which is fine with me.
But, I do need to be able to use data and phone at the same time.
I'll check out that thread
Thanks again

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for that. Now my main question is does this HD calling still work on the prepaid plan. I know most of the Verizon apps don't work on the prepaid plan, which is fine with me.
But, I do need to be able to use data and phone at the same time.
I'll check out that thread
Thanks again

According to the Verizon website, Advanced Calling (or HD Calling as it's also called) is not available for pre-paid plans. I don't work for Verizon, so I cannot confirm that...just what I saw on the FAQ page:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/advanced-calling-faqs/

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
. I've always been able to use data while on the phone before with other phones.
Were your previous devices Samsung Galaxy phones by chance? If so, they've always allowed for simultaneous talk and surfing, without VoLTE. I can't confirm the other carrier models, but the Verizon Galaxy models have always had two radios which provided this feature.

S5 tap'n

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
I had a Razr Maxx, and recently the LG G2. Both must have had 2 radios, i drive a lot for work and been able to talk, listen to iheart radio app and GPS navigation all at the same time.
I just read on Verizon site you can't use HD calling on any headset or Bluetooth device unless it's HD capable and the other person receiving a call also has to be using a HD voice capable phone with it enabled. I don't think there are too many of those yet. This is really too bad, what a bugger

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a Razr Maxx, and recently the LG G2. Both must have had 2 radios, i drive a lot for work and been able to talk, listen to iheart radio app and GPS navigation all at the same time.
I just read on Verizon site you can't use HD calling on any headset or Bluetooth device unless it's HD capable and the other person receiving a call also has to be using a HD voice capable phone with it enabled. I don't think there are too many of those yet. This is really too bad, what a bugger

You can use HD calling with any Bluetooth device. I use it with two different ones on my Turbo and also when I had my Droid Maxx. You just can't benefit from the HD quality unless the Bluetooth device is HD also. Same goes for calls to non HD phones, everything still works just fine, but the call will not be truly HD. Trust me, there is not much difference between a call to a non HD phone and a call to another HD phone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Well, that sounds good enough if only Verizon would allow on prepaid. I wonder if there's an app that allows it to be used, the phone is capable just the service isn't there... Or whatever. Of course it may one of those features we could use if we could root the Turbo.... With Lollipop that is.... Ugh

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ok gotcha, I recall now that it was determined a Verizon thing, not a manufacturer thing. But I'm still not sure why the Turbo or Nexus Verizon models didn't continue the 2 radio option. I imagine they were trying to save money and were banking on VoLTE to provide this feature. Frustrating not to have it right out of the box anymore.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ok gotcha, I recall now that it was determined a Verizon thing, not a manufacturer thing. But I'm still not sure why the Turbo or Nexus Verizon models didn't continue the 2 radio option. I imagine they were trying to save money and were banking on VoLTE to provide this feature. Frustrating not to have it right out of the box anymore.
I would not be surprised to learn that Moto built the Turbo with two radios, but Verizon refused to allow them to enable the 1X cell radio, because they were counting on their VoLTE network.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Well crap, let me open this puppy up and solder some rabbit ears on it and see what happens. Lol

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
All jokes aside. I do like this phone a lot. It's just too bad I can't multi task with it. Guess Big Red doesn't want you to be able to utilize the hardware with out paying them some extra for it. Go figure

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well, that sounds good enough if only Verizon would allow on prepaid. I wonder if there's an app that allows it to be used,

I doubt it, since it is a Verizon network feature and not a phone specific feature. Before the Turbo was released, you had to enable the Advanced Calling feature on the Verizon website, under your plans & options page. Now, the enable feature is built right into the Turbo, if you have a monthly plan. It's a bummer that they don't offer it to prepaid customers.