Droid Turbo common issues?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
at the apple store..bring in a device that's acting strange and what do you think they tell you to do??? They don't take their time with customers..they say...more or less to do the same thing..

Not just the apple store but Verizon stores also. More than once, my kids have brought their phone to Verizon because of a problem only to have the Verizon rep bring their phone back to them saying "fixed!" Then it is discovered that an fdr was done without any warning or suggestions to back up their data. I now tell my kids when they bring their phone into Verizon, to be very clear that they are not to do an fdr. That we (mom) will do it at home.

I have 75 apps on my phone. Surely you know what a PITA it is to have to do an FDR? Even if Google successfully backups and reinstalls ALL my apps, I lose all the data. You tell my son he has to start his Lego game over. :D I have to re-login to almost half of them. Not to mention my password keeper. Gotta' back that up first.
Royal PITA.

FDR IMO is and always will be an absolute last resort. I have never FDR'ed after an OS update. To suggest that it should be done absolutely makes any carrier or manufacturer look bad.

Yes, generally, doing an fdr is a last resort. I can't say that I've ever "had" to do an fdr after an update. My phone still functions. But I always do one after/before an update because my phone functions much better, without question. It doesn't look like anyone said that it must be done "absolutely" but said it is highly recommended.
To you, or the enthusiasts on this board (and yea, me) an FDR really, in truth is NOT that big a deal. But to the other 80% of the Android population? The people that HAVEN'T installed DropBox or use G+ to backup photos? Nightmare for them

Yes, doing an fdr can be a pita. And yes, probably a nightmare for most of the Android population. But there are several ways and apps that allow you to back up your data so that you can pick up games, etc from where you left off. Because doing an fdr is much more work to do after you have already set up your device and used it for your games, etc, it therefore makes sense to do one before you start loading everything on. Why not start with a guaranteed fresh, clean device.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Well....... with all of that said
I think it sounds like good sound advice and I will surely do an FDR just as soon as I get the phone in my hand.
With my g2 I started to use an app that kills the processes (apps) running in the background helping to clear the memory. seemed to help keep the phone running fast and quick

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Any seller on Swappa worth a rat's butt will FDR and box it up.

TapaTurbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I can't find anything to back this up. Not that I don't believe you but it seems odd to me Google would recommend this. It would make them look bad, don't you think?
"Yea, our updates can be buggy, so you should FDR when you get a new OS."
Apple certainly doesn't suggest that.
I'm actually surprised that you're arguing against this.
I think you've been on this forum long enough to know it's something that's been recommended for years.
It's also why he recommended doing it BEFORE the OP sets up their device. Making it painless & easy comparatively speaking.
I've always done an FDR on a brand new device, even without taking any updates. Is it "needed", probably not, but it's a simple preventative measure that's been recommended for quite awhile.

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Certainly nothing wrong with it. Not trying to be argumentative. Just don't think Google would publicly say that.
I wouldn't FDR a brand new device.
I trust brand new to be fresh. That's just being anal. Lol and that's OK.
I would on a used one if it didn't come out of the box acting like it was FDR'ed.

TapaTurbo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It was actually my droid maxx and turbo that both had stutters out of the box..a week of putting up with it, and then doing an fdr fixed the issue..that's why I do fdr's on new devices..but the reason he should is because he's taking probably 3 ota's..one is a major ota and even moto suggests for a smooth transition.. Do an fdr..I know in the past I've had a particular droid razr maxx..I did one fdr and it was still having issues because it was applying old settings..had to do 2 in a row on that pos...

I can see your not wanting to do fdr's with 75 apps..its like my not wanting to with 1200 songs...another reason to do an fdr before settling in the phone..

jacklance

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
Well built and good quality. I upgraded from the droid maxx to the turbo as my work phone. Battery is stellar and the camera much improved from the maxx. The bad side is the earpiece on the phone. It's poorly placed to the left. The rest of the grill is merely styling. Could have been better positioned. Also speaker phone is terrible. Can manage with a Bluetooth. Otherwise phone is excellent

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I can see your not wanting to do fdr's with 75 apps..its like my not wanting to with 1200 songs...another reason to do an fdr before settling in the phone..

You should try out Media Monkey. LOVE. It wireless synchs my music and playlists across my WiFi to my laptop.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'll look into that

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Well built and good quality. I upgraded from the droid maxx to the turbo as my work phone. Battery is stellar and the camera much improved from the maxx. The bad side is the earpiece on the phone. It's poorly placed to the left. The rest of the grill is merely styling. Could have been better positioned. Also speaker phone is terrible. Can manage with a Bluetooth. Otherwise phone is excellent
Is the earpiece problem due to low volume? The lg g2 I had had same issue, but there was a mod created to increase the volumes.
Maybe someone has done the same for the Turbo. Something to look into.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The only low volume issue on the turbo I have is when the phone was new, and I'd put the center to my ear..the turbo has 2 speakers up there.. Far left and right..so if you out the center to your ear you'll hear poorly...

I've had no issues with Bluetooth volume being low...but I've heard others have..

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have experienced issues several times after doing an OS update. Not every time, but several times. Force closes I think once on my N3 and battery drain, I think on my N3 and my S3; and an FDR most definitely fixed it.

Having said that, I almost always used TB before hand and only backed up apps that had essential data. I also tried not to include apps, particularly system apps, that seemed like they would cause an issue like I was having. And since you didn't lose root with FDR's, it was fairly simple to get back completely to normal.

But yeah, from my experience, I wouldn't deem it necessary UNLESS you start experiencing issues you didn't have before. Also from my experience, if you do have an issue, it was much easier to back things up and do an FDR than sort through apps or random deep files in Astro to figure out the cause, then wait a few days to make sure that was it, only to have the issue return. Then you do the FDR, problem solved

As for the OP, I haven't really experienced any major issues other than an instance of major battery drain after LP update. I think this is usually a conflict with an app that hasn't been updated for the new OS, so I used Juice Defender for a few days while a bunch of apps updated, and when I turned it off, no more drain. So like anything smartphone, it all depends on YOU!

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
You won't regret it. It's a pretty awesome phone.

One issue is possible fraying of the nylon back but really, that's about the only one I know.
Any other issues are really just things people don't like about Lollipop.
Yea, your right been using it a few days now. Definitely awesome phone and fast. Loving it so far.
Did all updates to Lollipop and fdr. Working great. I disabled several apps that are included, like some of the Google apps I don't care for or won't use.
Hangouts is one of them, I've noticed a few times since then I get a little window pop-up saying Hangouts app has failed or something like that and needs to close. Not sure what to make of that, don't want to let it report error to Google either.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
rkirk

rkirk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
razr maxx
Funny,
As I'm surfing around the forums I get a window pop-up.... Again. Says, "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped"
And gives an option to send a report to.... I guess Google.

Sent from my Tapatalk'n Turbo