DROID Switching bootup ICONS

KShizzle

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally tried to ROOT my Moto D1. I Rooted it successfully, and installed FREE ROM Manager in the Marketplace. I opened it, and then downloaded the first theme that was an option. It then went into Clockwork recovery mode, and then the screen went black. The Motorola logo then showed up like my phone was booting on, and then the "DROID" wording showed. Next the Droid eye came up, and began to pulsate, like everytime you boot up the phone. But now, my Phone just keeps on continuously going back and forth from the "DROID" and Red Eye logos. It doesn't stop. Has anyone every had this problem before? Any pointers or tips for the Newb? HELP ASAP would be much appreciated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you install a rom first? If so, is the theme compatible with the rom?

Mike

OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score
Did you install a rom first? If so, is the theme compatible with the rom?

Mike

I'm not too sure.. All I saw of the name of the thing I installed was A Glass Theme. That's it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sense is you did not.
Did you make a backup after rooting and prior to installing the theme? If so, pull the battery and go back into clockwork. Restore the backup then boot and open RM and install a rom. Since you have the free version I believe you are limited to installing the Cyanogen rom.

Mike

OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score
My sense is you did not.
Did you make a backup after rooting and prior to installing the theme? If so, pull the battery and go back into clockwork. Restore the backup then boot and open RM and install a rom. Since you have the free version I believe you are limited to installing the Cyanogen rom.

Mike

I did not make a backup. Does this mean I'm screwed? :blackdroid:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not yet! How did you root your phone? Did you install SPR?

Pull the battery then try to boot into recovery. Let me know .

OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score

I used the latest article on DROIDLIFE.COM:
How to: Root Android 2.2 for the Motorola DROID

But I did just the first part.

I pulled the battery out, and put it back in and turned the phone on again several times but it is still cycling the "Droid" and the Red Eye. How do I put it into recovery?

I am clueless and scared at this point. :icon_eek:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turn the phone off, pull the battery. Wait about one minute and replace the battery.

Open the slider and press the "X" key and power key at the same time.

Let me know what happens.

Mike

OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score

OK. I turned off the phone, and then I held the power up button and the 'x' button on the phone and I put it into Clockwork Recovery Mode.

The options are:
-reboot system now
-apply sd card:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sd card
-nandroid
-partitions menu
-advanced

Now what?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sense is you download a rom, mount the phone, copy to SD card wipe and install zip from SD card.

I've contacted another member of the rescue squad who has more experience with RM. She will have a better sense than me.

Mike

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Hi, Mike asked me to see if I can help you....... A couple of questions to bring me up to speed..... You say you downloaded the free ROM Manager, did you also download the paid version??? How did you download the theme???

For starters, clear your ROM Manager download cache. To do this go into RM hit the menu key then hit "clear download cache"

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OK. I turned off the phone, and then I held the power up button and the 'x' button on the phone and I put it into Clockwork Recovery Mode.

The options are:
-reboot system now
-apply sd card:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sd card
-nandroid
-partitions menu
-advanced

Now what?

Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe cache then reboot. Report back you might have to reroot

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I don't think your download of the theme was complete and that is your problem. There are two ways to fix this...........

First we have to get you out of the boot loop. Power off the phone by pulling the battery. Press and hold the x key then press the power key, once the M shows you can let go of the power key but continue to hold the x. You will then enter Clockwork Mod recovery.

Once in recovery, wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache. Once those are done, reboot

Let me know when you are done with this and then we will fix the theme part.

OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score
I don't think your download of the theme was complete and that is your problem. There are two ways to fix this...........

First we have to get you out of the boot loop. Power off the phone by pulling the battery. Press and hold the x key then press the power key, once the M shows you can let go of the power key but continue to hold the x. You will then enter Clockwork Mod recovery.

Once in recovery, wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache. Once those are done, reboot

Let me know when you are done with this and then we will fix the theme part.

Yes! I got past the continuous cycling of the boot up screens and I am back to the Main Menu! The new ROM that I tried to install is INSTALLED. But, I want to figure out what I did wrong so I don't do this again in the future. Can you help me?

I did not BACK UP ANY of my data before trying to root so now I have lost all of my phone numbers, and APPS. Any way to get them back? And also, how to I back up for next time? Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
KShizzle

KShizzle

Reaction score
I don't have the Android Marketplace. Is that normal?