Droid RAZR Will Have Unlockable Bootloader for International Version

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
People will buy that phone regardless if its locked or not. The droid x showed that even locked devices can be rooted so people will not make that a deciding factor. For me if the nexus galaxy had the specs of the nexus one then I would not buy it regardless whether it is unlocked. So the idea of people coming together to buy the nexus to show vzw what people want is irrelevant. We are not the only voice in vzws ear and every one is not asking for an unlocked bootloader. They are giving us our unlocked phone in the nexus, and given others what they want in the razr which is a slim design, lte, a better screen than the bionic, and durability.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is the good thing. If its a software thing being the 2 phones should be identical. I am betting it will not take long for our devs here to figure out away around the locked bootloader.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I understand what impact the kernel has on everything (that which you see and as the back end of the android OS), not having the ability to change kernels severely limits pushing the abilities of the hardware you paid for.

Locked bootloaders = crippled hardware controlled by the carrier (you think they care how good your battery life is ((or can be)) or how an individual patch can resolve your wifi issues?)...we developers do care about these things and strive to improve the end users experience with their mobile device.

Locking bootloaders is a shameful act in my opinion.

Man, I cant wait for some real overclock action!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm confused....If it's rooted, can't you overclock and underclock with SetCPU?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is the good thing. If its a software thing being the 2 phones should be identical. I am betting it will not take long for our devs here to figure out away around the locked bootloader.

I think that with the hardware being slightly different this could cause an issue, however the devs definitely know what they are doing and having an unlocked version, gsm or not, should help in the long run.

I just got my bionic and I'm very very tempted to check out the nexus when it comes out, or the razr.... I feel almost jipped, I love this phone but wtf... barely any word on the razr until AFTER the bionic is released, and having jumped on the new phone bandwagon I was to late to return.

this phone is great but... srsly. vzw pulled one over on my this time, glad I bought through bestbuy and got the buyback program.

bullswife98

Reaction score
I just read on one of the other android website(Google Motorola HD razr) and you'll see that Motorola has an unlocked Motorola razr that is going to ATT, therefore Verizon is the reason why we're getting the locked down version of this device.

SENT FROM MY OG DROID ROOTED AND SUPERCHARGED!

newparadigm

Reaction score

locked > encrypted.

It's the encryption that's the problem.

I can't stand it when they tell me what I can and can't do with my stuff. If I wanted to live in totalitarian-land I'd have apple products.

Here's hoping tizen bears some fruit, and isn't killed off like poor Meego. We need truly open source devices and carriers not afraid to embrace it.

Alright, that was a little off-topic rant. I have control of myself now...

bullswife98

Reaction score
I agree with this^^^^ hence why I rooted my OG Droid in the first place,not really cuz of any wifi or such but cuz I wanted to have my phone the way I wanted it not what Verizon wants me to have,I bought it,its my device I should have on here what I want and by rooting it I could. And its my way of sticking it right back to them and saying haha now what ya gonna do about it. If it wern't for the devs and users here that taught me what I know about my OG Droid I'd still be stuck with stock :( Motorola has a unlocked Motorola HD Razr unlocked, its our good ole' Verizion that's locked it up, ATT is receiving the unlocked Version. So its not just overseas.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
As long as it isn't encrypted, I could care less. Isn't HTC locking their bootloaders? And aren't people unlocking them because they aren't encrypted?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
As long as it isn't encrypted, I could care less. Isn't HTC locking their bootloaders? And aren't people unlocking them because they aren't encrypted?

HTC locks them but then does something that unlocks them later.

mrZoSo

Reaction score
Until Moto/VZW have unlocked bootloaders, I won't get another one. I like there build quality a lot too. I have a DX now, since it came out and knowing it was locked, but only because I wanted a bigger screen. Still have my OG too ;)
As others have mentioned, maybe the devs can do something, I wish them the best of luck.
I'm not too impressed with the way the DR looks anyhow.
Plus I've been patiently waiting for a Nexus to come to VZW, even held off on using my upgrade for the last 4 months, and it's paid off.

bullswife98

Reaction score
I just wish that the razr had the software of the nexus or visa-versa, love the look and body of razr but no battery removal and it has sd card ability, but nexus has removable battery but no sd card ability, nexus has a plasticy feel and razr has durability. Nexus/Samsung has horrible connectivity issues especialy with gps and dropped data, but razr has a locked bootloader unless you go to ATT, and there your no better off. I am due for an upgrade in Dec and still trying to figure out what would be a worthy phone to go to from my OG Droid/rooted. I fear that there will be nothing worthy for me to leave my pure android behind. I would be insulting my OG Droid if I don't upgrade to something worthy to leave droid for.

newparadigm

Reaction score
Rezound might be OK (if it ever comes out), or buy an off contract device for cheap and wait for something you like. I bought a dinc a few months back when my OG started losing it, and I can easily see keeping it until Q1 2012. I bet you could pick up a pretty cheap t-bolt or charge in a few weeks. I'll probably go with g-nex though, assuming it will have the most active dev community for a while.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
With root, you can remove or rename to "kill" bloatware. I've needed to mod my Droid because of the paltry ram, but I don't anticipate flashing roms with a new, powerful phone and ICS. Sure, it will be nice to get the newest Android when it breaks, but after ICS I'm not sure it will matter much to me.

I have a few apps that need root, and would like to be able to overclock but primarily underclock and that's about it. Even something cool I might care about like a 3rd Party lapdock I really have no need or use for. I can understand if you're heavy into themes and modding, though.