Motorola Does the Unthinkable - Xoom Will Come with Unlocked/Relockable Bootloader!!!

Reaction score
Someome correct me if im wrong (maybe someones already posted)...

but if the bootloaders unlocked, it seems that verizons requirement of buying a 1 month data service to activate wifi is going to be EASILY tricked...

With a simple flashing of an update.zip...
Maybe this is Motorola trying to get more people to buy the device that are angry with verizons requirement?

(granted once the wifi versions out, it becomes mute)

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
Someome correct me if im wrong (maybe someones already posted)...

but if the bootloaders unlocked, it seems that verizons requirement of buying a 1 month data service to activate wifi is going to be EASILY tricked...

With a simple flashing of an update.zip...
Maybe this is Motorola trying to get more people to buy the device that are angry with verizons requirement?

(granted once the wifi versions out, it becomes mute)
Well, that's the power of misinformation. Everyone was running around screaming over this stupid rumor, and it's spread everywhere. You see, the wi-fi is NOT locked on the device. Best Buy just won't sell it off contract.

...Best Buy seems to be causing a lot of problems for Verizon with their incompetence lately.

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
P.S.: Just wanted to add that Best Buy really annoys me. From the Thunderbolt preorders, to articulating extremely poorly about what is simply a refusal to sell the Xoom off-contract, and the bs way they handled the Nexus S launch, I honestly wish they would just go out of business so a more competent retailer can take their place.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing what exactly this turns out to be and how it is implemented.

As to us being a small minority, well we may be, but as stated we influence many of our friends and family. I personally have turned 9 friends and family members to android and advised many others that already were going android on which phones were best. So while individually we may be small in numbers our overall reach and impact, as the tech goto guys/girls in our circle of influence, is bigger than it appears.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Hey OP, which stories have the right prices?? This with $599 wifi, or the other at $799 for wifi.... Kinda changes up the game here lol

I believe it breaks down as such..

$799 3g w/o Contract (except the 1st time $20 which can be canceled without fee, I called Verizon)
$599 3G w/ Contract
$599 WiFi only unsubsidized

Thanks for the clarification Ictinike

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I think it's ridiculous that the price is 799 if you get a 1 year contract. The only way to have the price lowered is to sign for a full 2 years.

Big Lou

Reaction score
It has now been announced that the monthly 3G subscription is no longer required.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
xoom-bootloader-tweet.png

Motorola may be on the path to consumer redemption. They just tweeted last night that their new super-tablet the Xoom will come with an unlocked/re-lockable bootloader! This is quite a shock considering they've almost never done this before with their devices. This is welcome and happy news. It might make that $799 price a better pill to swallow, (although many will be perfectly happy with the $599 Wi-Fi only version.) Shout out your praises in the forums! Also, suggest ways we could 'convince' them to do the same with all their other devices.

Source: AndroidTablets and Android.net and XoomForums.com

Sounds great!

And then they drop the ball by having no Flash support, no SD card support, hardly any apps, no 3D accelerated graphics, choppy support.

Once again we have a company so desperate to make money that they take a half-baked product and push it out the door before it is ready for prime time.

And charge top dollar for it?

Pass. iPad is a better option at this point, and with the iPad 2 about to drop, the iPad prices will bottom out.

The Xoom is too little, too buggy and too late. Shame on Motorola for dropping this lemon onto the market.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Really, hasnt every phone had an unlockable/relockable bootloader? Its able to be unlocked... with the encrypted key.

Doesnt mean we will get the key.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Really, hasnt every phone had an unlockable/relockable bootloader? Its able to be unlocked... with the encrypted key.

Doesnt mean we will get the key.

Somebody ate a big bowl of semantics this morning. :icon_rolleyes:

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

I dno if anybody seen but clockwork mod was installed on the xoom already

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You know what, your username should have been Hemorrhoidorid.;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola Orders an End to XOOM System Dump Distribution, What Happened to Developer Cooperation? | Android Phone Fans

Motorola Orders an End to XOOM System Dump Distribution, What Happened to Developer Cooperation?

by Kevin Krause on February 24th, 2011 at 2:47 pm
xoom-550x504.jpg
Just as quickly as a system dump of the Motorola XOOM’s software and media files came online, it was ordered down by Motorola’s legal department. Visiting the XDA thread distributing the files, where links to the system dump previously resided can now be found the text “Links removed due to receipt of a DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) infringement notice received from Motorola Information Protection Services.”
So what gives? After the news that the XOOM would feature an unlockable bootloader, it seemed Motorola was ready to be in the good graces of developers everywhere. Denying access to system files certainly makes you question Moto’s true intentions, but we can’t speak for why they requested the removal. It may have a lot more to do with this being the first official full release of Honeycomb than anything else. It could also be that the unlockable bootloader was instated to comply with Google Experience requests, and Moto never had any intention to make their device developer friendly. It’s all speculation for now.
Needless to say, Motorola doesn’t want the system dump floating around the internet. If you already have it, cherish it. If you don’t, well Moto would rather you go out and by the XOOM now that it is available.
[via XDA]