Droid RAZR Will Have Unlockable Bootloader for International Version

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
19076-albums200-picture41676.jpg

Great news if you live overseas. The upcoming Droid RAZR will have an unlock solution for the bootloader. Bad news if you are in the United States. Verizon Wireless has decided to disabled this unlock feature. The obvious reason is the phone is more secure with a locked bootlader. This doesn't make it an easier pill to swallow for those hoping that Motorola phones on VZW would start having unlockable bootloader solutions.

Source: Ausdroid via Android Central

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
All anyone has to do is NOT buy this phone. Show Verizon that the locked bootloader is a big deal.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
All anyone has to do is NOT buy this phone. Show Verizon that the locked bootloader is a big deal.

The thing is the people wanting unlocked bootloaders account for only a small percentage of the total customer base. And VZW knows it. They know that the masses, the everyday users don't care about a locked bootloader or even know what a bootloader is. They advertise a new Droid phone on TV and have their sales geeks convince every customer that walks in the door that they need one. And they will sell. Locked bootloader and all. If those of us that care don't buy it, that will go totally unnoticed.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I realize we are a very small slice of the pie. But Verizon is all about profits, if the Modding community were to band together and agree to not buy a locked down smartphone, we might finally see some change.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^I'm pretty sure a lot of us are already banding together to go buy the Nexus!

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I personally don't care if the bootloader is locked or not. I lived with it for 15 months now with my DX and and am quite happy with it. It boils down to the principal of it. It is my phone. I paid for it. I should be able to do with it what I want. I understand the risks.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I personally don't care if the bootloader is locked or not. I lived with it for 15 months now with my DX and and am quite happy with it. It boils down to the principal of it. It is my phone. I paid for it. I should be able to do with it what I want. I understand the risks.

I completely agree. I flash roms and do all I need to with my rooted dx and am very happy with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
The X is great and had good support but what if the GN goes to all carriers? There would be quite a few dev's working on it and that should result in a lot more variety!

silver6054

Reaction score
Would the overseas version of this phone work with Verizon?
I would guess not, as it will be GSM, and not LTE/CDMA. On Moto Owners forum Matt confirmed that the US version has no global capability so I assume the reverse holds too.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
The X is great and had good support but what if the GN goes to all carriers? There would be quite a few dev's working on it and that should result in a lot more variety!

I am not too worried about dev support. I have already seen a couple post/tweet they were going to get it. And at first the shock of the pretty new os will hopefully hold me over allowing for the dev community backing it to grow and get working.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I understand what impact the kernel has on everything (that which you see and as the back end of the android OS), not having the ability to change kernels severely limits pushing the abilities of the hardware you paid for.

Locked bootloaders = crippled hardware controlled by the carrier (you think they care how good your battery life is ((or can be)) or how an individual patch can resolve your wifi issues?)...we developers do care about these things and strive to improve the end users experience with their mobile device.

Locking bootloaders is a shameful act in my opinion.