Motorola Does the Unthinkable - Xoom Will Come with Unlocked/Relockable Bootloader!!!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
xoom-bootloader-tweet.png

Motorola may be on the path to consumer redemption. They just tweeted last night that their new super-tablet the Xoom will come with an unlocked/re-lockable bootloader! This is quite a shock considering they've almost never done this before with their devices. This is welcome and happy news. It might make that $799 price a better pill to swallow, (although many will be perfectly happy with the $599 Wi-Fi only version.) Shout out your praises in the forums! Also, suggest ways we could 'convince' them to do the same with all their other devices.

Source: AndroidTablets and Android.net and XoomForums.com

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's just because they partnered with Google IMO. There's probably been no change in their business strategies.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bills742

Reaction score
That's awesome, makes you wonder if they will do the same with the bionic...

sonicfreak360

Reaction score
Omg

WOW! This made me CRAVE the xoom! this is the tablet i want, if i ever get the money!

Reaction score

I doubt it.

This was the same with the Droid 1. Worked closely with Google and it came unlocked. Was a first generation device for them, a new product line. They leave it unlocked and see what hackers can do with it, and then use that info and lock down all future devices.

I'd bet a lot of money the Xoom 2 will come as locked as the Droid 2 and Milestone were.

sphen22

Reaction score
Well I think this adds a hell of alot to the allure of this device!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
And what is the main concern Moto has with unlocked phones? Is is just the worry that they will get several bricked phones back??

deputc26

Reaction score
Awesome news, hopefully Moto ship an unlocked phone in the future too.

jddevinn

Reaction score
1st device with a new version of android = always vanilla always unlocked

Big Lou

Reaction score
This + $600 wifi-only (pssh... I can just tether with my Droid anyway) = win!

At first I was horribly disappointed with the Xoom, but I'm now warming up to it. This will probably be the most hacked tablet for a long time. May be enticing enough to buy.

pylopor

Reaction score

I doubt it.

This was the same with the Droid 1. Worked closely with Google and it came unlocked. Was a first generation device for them, a new product line. They leave it unlocked and see what hackers can do with it, and then use that info and lock down all future devices.

I'd bet a lot of money the Xoom 2 will come as locked as the Droid 2 and Milestone were.

What they don't seem to comprehend is that it will boost the **** out of their sells. You're right the phones after didn't have it. And with the iPhone out I think they should keep adding it in the phones, it would make up.

onsht1kll

Reaction score

I doubt it.

What they don't seem to comprehend is that it will boost the **** out of their sells. You're right the phones after didn't have it. And with the iPhone out I think they should keep adding it in the phones, it would make up.

I think that is more true than not .. DF already posted that Moto is gonna be cautious about Verizon cuz of the iphone .. so if it has hurt sales.. what would boost them? unlocked bootloader .. Only time will tell.. but I have seen more people than not saying they would buy the bionic if it was unlocked

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think most people are over looking a couple key words here. The device has a unlockable/relockable bootloader. To me that says we will give the key out to some people but not everyone. I would be very surprised if the average consumer had the ability to have the bootloader unlocked. I am thinking only top end dev's of apps and stuff like that will have access.

Haloman800

Reaction score
I think most people are over looking a couple key words here. The device has a unlockable/relockable bootloader. To me that says we will give the key out to some people but not everyone. I would be very surprised if the average consumer had the ability to have the bootloader unlocked. I am thinking only top end dev's of apps and stuff like that will have access.

These "top end dev's" will make noob-friendly tutorials/apps to make fully unlocking it open to the public.

I don't think that's what they meant by unlockable/relockable anyway, although I'm not sure what they meant by it, maybe, that they have the ability to lock it if bricked devices get out of hand.. With an OTA update?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

I doubt it.

You forgot the part about them also adding Blur lol.