Droid keeps telling me I have new email when I don't

jasonb

Reaction score
I have my Droid linked to my AIM email account. It is set to notify me when I have a new email. It does this, but it also sometimes notifies me that i have email when I really don't. It will say "Droid" and then show a notification of a new email, but when I go check it there is no new email. Even if I refresh it it shows no new email. If I go online with my laptop to the same email account it shows no new email.

So.... why is it telling me I have a new email when I don't? Any ideas?

Mark5047

Reaction score
Some pop3 accounts are doing that. My hotmail account used to do it more frequently until I changed how often it checks for new messages. I think I set it for 30 minutes. What was happening for me was the 'new' messages were really older messages that were showing up at the bottom of my email list. Scroll down and see if that is happening for you too. Try decreasing your polling time to see if it helps.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
it's not showing a new message anywhere in any folder.

Mark5047

Reaction score
Bummer - for me there were old messages marked as new, but after changing to a 30 minute poll, it has been working fine for me.

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Agree with Mark... make sure you don't have any "new" messages that are at the bottom of your inbox because they're dated 1960 or whatever. I get that with my Yahoo. But if I check on the computer, they are all correct there. So maybe you're having an entirely different problem.

julesdroid

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. It's driving me nuts. I'm using AOL and have the time set to 15 minutes. Any other suggestions?

HUFFDROID

Reaction score
I'm having some what of a similar issue. I'll delete emails on my Droid but I'll get the same emails again throughout the day. Any information would be appreciated.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
I have since switched to a gmail account. No more issues.

famac!

Reaction score
To the guys having issues, check the sig and star the issue. POP3 implementation is very buggy on our phones.

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. The default email client only downloads x messages per session. Each and every time you delete or move messages, it replaces those messages with older messages. Every message that the default email client downloads is "new" to the client is will be shown as such.

2. For a solution to the default email client, have GMAIL check all of your POP3 accounts instead. This will save data usage and battery as you don't have a set process synching every x minutes.

help on how to have gmail check your POP3 accounts below:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all my accounts coming through my Gmail account and still have this problem at times. Even my actual gmail account will do this. If fact, It says I have a bunch of messages right now, but the inbox is empty...

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all my accounts coming through my Gmail account and still have this problem at times. Even my actual gmail account will do this. If fact, It says I have a bunch of messages right now, but the inbox is empty...
are you using the GMAIL client or the EMAIL client. For GMAIL, you should ONLY be using the GMAIL client, even though it will let you set it up in the EMAIL client.

It's the one with the red M on the envelope.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you using the GMAIL client or the EMAIL client. For GMAIL, you should ONLY be using the GMAIL client, even though it will let you set it up in the EMAIL client.

It's the one with the red M on the envelope.

I'm using the Gmail app. I have three gmail accounts set up with it and also have a non gmail account set up to come through gmail.

Silver Member
Reaction score
your inbox couldn't possibly be empty if it's telling you that you have new messages and you can't located them. since you have three gmail accounts, you know how to switch between them, right?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
your inbox couldn't possibly be empty if it's telling you that you have new messages and you can't located them. since you have three gmail accounts, you know how to switch between them, right?

Yup, one gmail account says it has 30 some new emails but it is empty and a second gmail account says it has one new email but it is empty as well. I'm not saying there aren't messages in my actual gmail account, but they aren't showing up in the gmail app on the Droid.