1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Email notifications of past and old emails

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by xxspellboundxx, Nov 9, 2009.

1. xxspellboundxx

xxspellboundxx New Member

An annoying thing I've found with the droid is that it keeps sending me email notifications of emails from my hotmail account that i've either already read through the motorola droid or emails that are months old from my email account. I thought it's suppose to only sync and notify me of "new" emails not ones from months ago. Does anybody have the same issue? How do I fix this? Thank you
  2. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

Had the same issue, luckily it's my school address and I didn't have many emails in it, so I just marked them all as read. HUGE pain though.
  3. steveo52

steveo52 New Member

Ditto with my Yahoo e-mail. Very annoying. :icon_cussing:
  4. jbjtkbw00

jbjtkbw00 New Member

I'm hoping this is fixed in a software update as it's really a little annoying. I think what needs to happen is there should be a setting so that when you delete on the phone, it syncs with the server and deletes there as well. Obviously, it should be a setting that we could disable, but you get the picture.
  5. trevorl

trevorl New Member

I have a similar issue. Some e-mails that I previously read on the Droid are being marked as unread whenever e-mails are retrieved from the server. Each time this happens, I get a new mail notification. If I then mark the e-mail as read, during the next update it gets marked as unread and I get the notification again.

It was happening with three e-mails. They were scattered randomly in time (eg: not the most recent ones). I deleted two of these e-mails and they haven't returned, but the one I'm keeping in my inbox keeps getting marked unread. I did notice two of the e-mails had attachments and the third was an HTML e-mail (so may have had a hidden attachment).

Note that I'm using a POP e-mail account with the setting to check every 15 minutes and with the setting to delete e-mail from the server when I delete it from my inbox. This is a dedicated POP account I use just for my cell phone (forwarded from my main account) so no other e-mail client is accessing the account. The security type is set as TLS, if it matters.

If anyone has insight into why this is occurring, or how to fix the problem, let me know. Thanks.
  6. xliderider

xliderider New Member

This has been happening on my msn account as well.
  7. jbjtkbw00

jbjtkbw00 New Member

OK, so I did figure out the setting to delete emails on the server. Long press your email account and then click Account Settings. Click on Incoming Settings and there's an option to Delete email from server. I'm hoping this may help somewhat. Unsure at this time. (was at a motivational seminar all day).
  8. xxspellboundxx

xxspellboundxx New Member

Thank you...the most annoying part is the phone sending me notifications of emails that are at least a couple of months old....it actually notified me of an email that was way back in 2007.

However since, my first thread...the phone has stopped sending me notifications period!
  9. cawjr

cawjr New Member

Same issues here with AOL emails. I get notifications of new mail approx. every 3-5 minutes (no sound, though, even though I have it "on"), but no new messages. Fingers crossed for a software update soon!
  10. jedidroid

jedidroid New Member

same thing happens to me on my comcast email account. worked fine for the first 2 days and then this started happening. no fix as far as I know.
    so I just started forwarding all of my comcast emails to my gmail account.
    workaround until its fixed
  11. xliderider

xliderider New Member

I already had done that, but was still getting the notifications on old mail on an msn acct. I ended up deleting all the old messages and now, the delete from server is working on the new incoming mail.

I suppose if you don't want to delete your messages you could make a folder and put the mail in there, out of your inbox.
  12. five0five

five0five New Member

Thanks jbj...

I was having the same problem, kept getting "new" emails which I had already read and deleted. Changed Incoming Settings as you describe, thus far (one hour later) no old email re-notifications.
  13. jedidroid

jedidroid New Member

doesn't work for me. I figured I would give it another shot on my comcast.net email address. I followed what you said and after I delete all of the older emails in my comcast account, checked off delete from server on he droid, the droid email doesn't find any email just gets hung at loading messages.
    It refuses to load new unread messages, only keeps going back in time or getting hung up.

I hope come DEC 11th, there is a real fix for this.

Otherwise I have to keep email forwarding on from my comcast to gmail account.
  14. samredman

samredman New Member

With, email other than Gmail, for example, Yahoo, the best way is to forward all Yahoo mail to Gmail . Then with Gmail... a delete from Droid removes it from being shown on your Droid and your gmail pc inbox, but it is still archived if you search for it on your pc with Gmail.

But, most important, deleting a forwarded email doesn't delete it on your Yahoo account inbox, if you need it, go there with your pc to view it.
  15. flyingdroid

flyingdroid New Member

so if you delete a new message from your gmail account, does it erase the notification on the droid? Is there an app to do this...it's driving me crazy. i have my gmail account open and my phone sits there and the green light keep blinking so I'm not sure if it's a text or new email...and I'm OCD so...

Help.
    Thanks.
  16. jmed99

jmed99 New Member

Me too..now I'm getting no notifications for hotmail, yahoo or facebook. Gmail is the only notifications I'm getting.
  17. samredman

samredman New Member

I have explained how to do this by letting Gmail be the controlling system. I have four email accounts (one is Yahoo, others are domain name server accounts), plus I have my gmail. I forward all mail to gmail, but I set them so they don't delete in the orginating location on forward. Then, I get notifications on all new mail from all the accounts on my Droid. Deleting on the Droid deletes on Gmail, but the other accounts' originating locations are not touched.

If I delete on gmail on my pc, it won't delete an existing notification (one which I already received, but didn't delete) on the Droid, but it does stop being notified again for that now deleted one. Learning to use this with Gmail as the controller is the key to making this work.
  18. flyingdroid

flyingdroid New Member

Luckily I only have a gmail account so I get the notifications - and I guess after a few minutes if I delete an email on my PC or read it, then the notification on the Droid goes away -- just wasn't waiting long enough I guess. But it seems spotty -- I've tried a few test emails and the notifications lag for a long time after I delete but thanks for the feedback.

I hope they come up with a sweet app to distinguish between text, calls, and emails through the LED on the phone -- different colors (does it even have different LED colors other than green???)

I'd like it if texts from certain people just popped up on the phone and unlocked it so you didn't have to go through all the razzamatazz to get to it....
    Luckily I don't do that much texting but...
    I'm sure there will be some apps for this eventually....I hope.
    Cheers.
  19. tritop15

tritop15 New Member

I guess I'm have the opposite issue to everyone. My Droid is not notifying me when I get my email. I set the frequency to check email every 5 minutes but sometimes I dont get it for like hours (4-5). But when I go to my email and refresh, then it notifies me - very annoying. I even delete the account on the phone and add it again to see if it will work - same thing.

For the LED color - I was able to change my LED color to Cyan as notifying me when I get a text. It gives me the option of: Green, red, yellow, magenta, cyan and custom. I only see this LED color option under an app called sms popup. Hope that helps.

Try to "uncombine" your email inbox and change the settings from getting email every hour and/or set as never to get email notification. Hope that helps also.

I turned off my auto-sync with facebook and gmail and that saves battery life.
Search tags for this page

android email loads old emails

android mail keeps delivering old emails
droid 2 email settings to change to keep old emails

i keep.getting email.notifications.for already read.emails

i was notafied tody about olod emails i sent months ago
notification bar on android 4.1 keeps showing emails that ha

notifications for old email

old email in notification

remove juno email notifications android

why does android notify me with emails i have already read

why does juno email keep reloading on android device