Droid Incredible Low light photo Quality?

metalmenance

Reaction score
The Inc camera kicks major butt
very fast n smooth and pics even in low light look really good
in good lighting they are bad a**, better than my 500$ kodak digital camera

windstrings

Reaction score
I agree.. the software is far superior both in using the camera as well as viewing the pics once you have them as the gallery on the basic 2.1 moto is pretty sad now.

The portal or "aperature" that allows light in is much bigger as well as the lens itself which makes the job for the electronics much easier.....

Its a camera folks... light is a good thing....
For those of you who still have your droid moto, carefully compare the lens and size of the two.

TBolt

Reaction score
manilaboy, what setting are you shooting your original pics in? the 8MP option or smaller?

thanks.

brochaos

Reaction score
any way to get the camera apk on to the droid? i don't understand why they don't fix ours. which track is that btw? willow springs?

metalmenance

Reaction score
I found indoors or poor lighting just open settings and slide the brightness
level down to zero and it takes good pic without over flashing the subject

TBolt

Reaction score
manilaboy, what setting are you shooting your original pics in? the 8MP option or smaller?

thanks.

I thinik those are at 8M

If you have never changed the MP setting, you'd be at the default which was 5MP. Just trying to jog your memory - do you remember ever changing any settings in the camera?

Thank you for the info, though.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score

thanks.

I thinik those are at 8M

If you have never changed the MP setting, you'd be at the default which was 5MP. Just trying to jog your memory - do you remember ever changing any settings in the camera?

Thank you for the info, though.

ya i did.. sat morning at work..i just checked it.. its at 8M

Signum

Reaction score
from what ive read on the internet an 8mp camera is the bare minimum needed to take quality pictures in little to no light

with a 16mp+ camera (there are 20mp cameras available) you have a near perfect image in no light.

c_law23

Reaction score
im just not camera savvy. However in low light conditions if i try to capture something up close the flash just blinds everything... cant make out what its focusing on... just white washes it i guess is the term im looking for.. thoughts?

windstrings

Reaction score
Don't think its so much the mp size as the quality and sensitivity of the internals, but above that is the need for light.
If the lens is a tiny tiny pinhole, no camera can do a good job, not even the human eye.

Expensive high quality camera's have very large lenses to capitalize on the leverage of having plenty of light which in turn gives grace to have other options too without suffering.

The Inc lens is much larger than the moto.
Whether dealing with binoculars, telescopes, or cameras... they all need light to process an image and do it well... the darker the scene, the more critical.

The larger MP cameras will have better and more sensitive internals which indeed do help, and that alone would help the moto a tiny bit... but I really think the biggest killer "In a bad way" for the moto or any camera phone is the size of the optical lens.... everything else is dependent upon and falls under that.

Manufacturers have to decide.. "whats cheaper"... better internals or larger lenses?....Large lenses are much harder to make but due to mass of product, but mostly because there is more room for error on a larger surface.... technology is so cheap now, its probably a stronger temptation for manufacturers to put in quality internals to make up for the crappy lenses... I prefer a moderate amount of both.

As a very small example.. think of a tiny pair of pocket binoculars.... We will let the binoculars be the lenses and your eyes and brain can be the electronics that process the light....
in full sun bright lighting, the pocket binos practically look as good as a 50mm pair, but let it get dusk or even dark and the 50mm make all the difference in the world, both to see image detail, composition, and contrast, as well as hope to get excellent color reproduction..... its the same with cameras.

TBolt

Reaction score
im just not camera savvy. However in low light conditions if i try to capture something up close the flash just blinds everything... cant make out what its focusing on... just white washes it i guess is the term im looking for.. thoughts?

I've heard this comment before on other forums. I'm wondering if a software update would improve the excessively bright flash.

I dunno. Maybe it's a hardware issue (the flash) rather than the software controlling it.

windstrings

Reaction score

One trick I"ve used with cameras that have a fixed flash output is to backup and zoom in instead... yes you have to hold the camera steady, but you can get great lighting whereas otherwise its near impossible if your too close.