Droid photo quality?

Discussion in 'Android Audio and Video' started by Seawolf, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Seawolf

Seawolf New Member

If I have one complaint about the Droid is the photo quality of the droid camera. Now I know camera phones are notoriously poor in the quality department, but the Droid has a 5mp camera and I would assume this would make a huge difference vs the 1.2mp cameras on other phones.

My photos in low light have white streaks and my daytime photos are grainy and pixelated.

Is this normal?
  2. racklefratz

racklefratz Guest

3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Why would you assume that? 5MP is a specification for resolution. That's it. It says nothing of the optics, the sensitivity of the sensor, the dynamic range of the sensor, the noise level of the sensor, etc. It's like expecting a feature on a car "because it is 300hp". I don't understand why people automatically assume that more MP means better. It just means more MP.

I have a 0.3MP (yes, 1/3MP) video camera that can take better stills in low light than the Droid.
  4. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak New Member

I guess some people expect a 5MP imaging chip to be better quality than a 3MP chip seeing the resolution is higher and would require a better chip .
    I have a Nikon D40X (10.2) that is much better than the 7.1MP Samsung pocket camera we have . And yes I do expect a 10.2 to be better than a 7.1 and a 5MP to be better than a 3.2MP .
  5. racklefratz

racklefratz Guest

Agree. At the end of the day, 5MP only means a big picture, not necessarily a "good" picture.
  6. chaostheory6682

chaostheory6682 New Member

Numbers sell. my phone takes good pics during the day but lousy ones even when i'm under moderate tree canopy. it's good for on the go and when you are on a hike and want to save weight but it'll never replace a real camera
  7. snowman

snowman Member

but my 5MP Olympus E1 will produce much better pictires then the 10 nikon because of the sensor it functions a lot different, so it isn't just MP to quality, it's a lot of other things
    I've seen true life sized blow ups of people , yes true life sized crystal clear done with the E-1
    the 5mp Droid is really poor but again it's a phone not a camera.
    pretty cool though for what it is and can do fair video
  8. RLJSlick

RLJSlick New Member

I agree numbers sales and I have to admit I was taken in by that 5MP deal. The camera is really the only disappointment I have with the Droid. Being a photographer I was really looking forward to having a nice camera on my phone but it's not to be because the camera isn't great by no means.
  9. snowman

snowman Member

and it may get a bit better with updates, it can't get much worse?:)
  10. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

I thought the camera would be better too. My LG Envy took better pictures than this thing. Other than that I have no complaints.
  11. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

There are applications you can buy that will drastically improve your pictures so it's not a hardware but a software issue.

I'm waiting until the next update to see if they fix it free.
  12. Johnly

Johnly Guest

A Carpenter is only as good as his tools! FTW!:greendroid:
  13. justbob

justbob New Member

+1 for ssh guru. I don't think the sensor is all that bad, it's the software that drives it that needs adjusting. You can have the best camera in the world and still take lousy pictures if you don't have it set up correctly.

2.0.1 fixed the focus & speed issues, let's hope that 2.1 fixes a few more things.
  14. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I only hear people moan about how bad the pic quality is, how does everyone feel about the video recording capability? it's supposed to be dvd quality and I find for the most part it's pretty fantastic for the few times I've used it like christmas. Why does video turn out so well but pics not? is it because of the shutter / light exposure deal + the compression of the jpg?

just seems strange that video looks good for me at least yet people seem to find pics so terrible. same camera doing both.
  15. LuN3yDaV3

LuN3yDaV3 New Member

I was out at the club last night and trying for the first time to take pics in low light. Horrible! My wife has a Palm Pre and it blew away the quality of my Droid. Woke up today very disappointed in my phone. :( I would rather be on a hangover
  16. jnd121

jnd121 New Member

This camera (or software that runs the camera) is of horrible quality! I came from an enV Touch and that took fantastic pictures compared to this phone. Hopefully there will be an update to fix this in the near future.
  17. Logan3824

Logan3824 New Member

It's a software issue...They will be fixing it in 2.1, for now just wait. You can use some apps that might help.. I heard camera magic helps.
  18. cosmonaut

cosmonaut New Member

Well photography is a huge hobby of mine and I agree with one thing, don't get a phone for the camera. Image quality starts with the lens. You will never, probably, get a super great lens on a phone. The sensor on the other end is also the next element. The smaller the sensor the worse image quality you have. But that is going to improve with technology.
  19. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well said. I know nothing about photography, but I do know that you can't expect a phone to be as good as a camera.

Besides I happen to think the Droid does do a good job taking pictures. But like I said I know nothing about photography. The picture of my avatar was taken with my Blackberry Storm.
  20. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

I am as well with my Canon 7D and agree with everything you have said. However, it is still a fact that this camera is on the lower end of many phone cameras. I am hoping this can get fixed. I am not expecting 7D results, but rather results on par with other phones cameras.
Search tags for this page

1st droid phone picture quality

android razor - picture quality

how to get the best picture quality from the droid x 2

improve picture quality of razr

why is my droid dna camera quality poor?