Droid headphone jack self-fix?

JimmyD

Reaction score
That's why I asked first :-/ Just trying to create a more solid connection. I'll try a straw instead.

:) Sorry if I came off kinda harsh. I would just hate to read that someone fried their Droid!! :happy:

Yeah, I would try anything else before something metal based!

By the way, since you mentioned a straw, I wonder how well a coffee stirrer straw would work?! Those are REALLY small in diameter, so it might help with fitting the contour of the area you put it in.

etipaced

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for the warning actually. You read my mind with the coffee straw, too. Hitting the grocery store later today.

OP
Ryan325678

Ryan325678

Reaction score
No worries, thanks for the warning actually. You read my mind with the coffee straw, too. Hitting the grocery store later today.

Let us know if you find something that works well--the paper is great because it mostly does the trick but it does tend to wear down after a while and needs to be replaced.

Charlie_Don't_Surf

Reaction score
Straw fix is a go. It works very well. When I jiggle the jack :)icon_eek:) there is no break in sound. I also left a little tab in the straw so I could pull it out if I need to. I tucked it behind my case. Pics soon, seeing that I use my droid for my pic uploads I'll wait to use my friend's.

Charlie_Don't_Surf

Reaction score
Any pictures of the straw fix? I'm interested!

Oops my bad I forgot to take pics. I'll try to have them up soon. The trick though is to cut a small piece of straw that can slide between the rear half of the jack and the phone. I made a piece that looked like

. . . . * * * . . . .
. . . . * * * . . . .
. . . . * * * . . . .

I left the top part as a tab so that if I wanted to pull the straw I had something to grip. Also because I have a case I can just bend the tab to go between the phone and case. I gotta wait until I have access to a good camera or cameraphone but I'll post pics soon.

vphreeze

Reaction score
wont be able to try this for a couple days myself, but maybe you should try some nautical heatshrink tubing. it's basically regular heatshrink (which maybe more durable than a straw) and the inside of its coated with what amounts to a thin layer of "hot glue" (like from a glue gun) so that it forms a water tight seal when you shrink it. this would be sturdy, as well as have a bit of glue to help hold it in place, and i buy a new batch a couple times a year at Harbor Frieght, so its pretty cheap too ($5?).

brando56894

Reaction score
Ive been meaning to do this since originally I thought it was the headphone jack then I thought it was a loose connection on the headphone cord extension, then I realized it was the jack itself. I finally did it and it was a slight PITA to get the bit of straw in there (hindered by dull scissors) but once I did it worked perfectly. Thanks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no fix huh.........

brando56894

Reaction score
this stopped working for me after about three weeks, I had to put another piece in there (this time slightly longer) and I couldnt get it in all the way (yes I know, thats what she said lol) so it left a piece of the straw left out and wouldnt securely lock the the male and female ends together, instead of taking it out, retrimming it and reinserting it I just applied some heat from a lighter and melted the SOB and pushed it down. I now have a green crescent shape around my headphone jack (yes I know I should have used a black straw, but theyre hard to find) but now it wont move!

indefactorX

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix, it worked perfectly... I use my phone as my car radio and it was insanely frustrating to have the music crackle after a slight turn... or bump in the road

I used a Mcdonald Straw & trimmed it down with an exacto knife

Darkseider

Reaction score
Thanks for the fix, it worked perfectly... I use my phone as my car radio and it was insanely frustrating to have the music crackle after a slight turn... or bump in the road

I used a Mcdonald Straw & trimmed it down with an exacto knife

McDonald's straw here as well but without the exacto. Used a pair of busted ass scissors and bingo! Insta fix!

msmojorisin

Reaction score
need help

Well I'm on my third Droid for exactly this issue. I treat it with kid gloves and every time the verizon employees have replaced it without a peep.

Its a crazy weakpoint for such an expensive device. The issue I found was that the jack itself had too much give in its slot, it would wiggle a bit and eventually this effects the connection.

Here's my diy fix. I took a standard envelope, cut a small triangular wedge from the flap, folded it in half, wedged it in between the outside of the jack and the phone, and then trimmed the edge with a bit left so I can still get it out if needed. This did the trick.

Sorry if I am not using this forum correctly. But I am having the same issue with my droid right now. Crappy headphone port. Do you think verizon will still replace my droid even though I bought it through Dell.com and not verizon??

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd call dell.com. I bought a camera thru there and it broke. They next day aired me a box and sent me a new camera. Great customer service there.