Droid headphone jack self-fix?

vanessa2155

Reaction score
Crazy response from verizon on this.....

I went into the verizon store yesterday and asked if the droid incredible or X still has the headphone jack issue because I wanted to upgrade my phone. The guy looked at me like I was crazy and said, 'I've never heard of that issue'. Well of course I looked at him like he was even crazier. I said, are you serious? Just Google it and you will get about a million hits. Either it was his first day and he had only been working about an hour or he was a complete liar. How frustrating.:icon_evil:

qkpony

Reaction score
I fixed mine by taking it apart and using a dental pick I am going to do a video on it if someone needs me to I will do it sooner

smd12

Reaction score
so what's the straw trick for the DX? i'm on my 2nd X and i'm about to return it. i totally lost audio this time :(

sigh

julius386

Reaction score
Thank You!

Just had to post a big thank you! My headphones had been crackling for a while and then eventually the left channel completely cut out unless I jiggled the damn plug in just the right way. Gave up on using my Droid as a music player for months. Finally found this thread, cut out a little piece of plastic from the packaging for a pack of batteries, and am now happily listening to Rise Against.

What's more, there's now actually some bass to the music since in the intervening time between when I last used my Droid for music and now, someone finally came out with a dsp manager.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy:icon_ banana:

alwerner

Reaction score
This fixed my problem as well. Instead of a straw or paper, I used a small zip tie and cut it to the right length. Static is GONE! I can also heat the plastic to melt it into place.

duyna

Reaction score
I have problem for the Jack where it pauses my music randomly any ideas?

Sent from my zombie droid2 using DroidForums

alwerner

Reaction score
I don't have a Droid2 but my phone would either pause on it's own and/or create static. The fix(es) posted here fixed both problems.

campersand

Reaction score
Just in case someone else has the same problem I did...I tried the straw thing but it didn't work. Unlike most of the posters here, my problem wasn't that the jack was loose, as I had to push my headphones extra hard into the jack to get a connection rather than push forward or back.

It sounds kinda stupid but I finally tried digging around in there with a paperclip and realized there was just a ton of lint that had accumulated. Got that all out and it's as good as new!

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
Recently the headphone jack on my D3 has not been working well. It is not loose and the headphones work just fine in other devices. Sometimes I can get it to work if I move the male end of the headphone plug around a bit and press it to one side or another. I am not sure if this has anything to do with me rooting my phone or the launcher im using (QQ Launcher). I am assuming its just a bad jack in my phone or a bad soldering job. I am going to try updating to steel when I get home in a couple days to see if that changes anything. I am tempted to just send the phone back, but think it might be less hassle to just claim it was stolen than unroot and do a factory restore.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

coeus82

Reaction score
Just in case someone else has the same problem I did...I tried the straw thing but it didn't work. Unlike most of the posters here, my problem wasn't that the jack was loose, as I had to push my headphones extra hard into the jack to get a connection rather than push forward or back.

It sounds kinda stupid but I finally tried digging around in there with a paperclip and realized there was just a ton of lint that had accumulated. Got that all out and it's as good as new!

Thank you! This whole time I was trying to stick a piece of paper between audio jack and case, in the end the problem was lint! Cleaned it out and my audio jack now works!

Thanks for posting this

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums

capndroid

Reaction score
Straw fix, thanks! Original Moto Droid with bad headphone jack. Now to put the iPod classic back in the closet!

Julez2012

Reaction score
my Dinc2 has had the SAME problem, and sometimes I lose the sound COMPLETELY! I don't wanna replace my phone, but I've tried the straw/paper method, and it didn't work! :( Since they're NOT selling the Dinc2 anymore, what would happen?? Am I stuck with a broken headphone jack for 2 years?

krosenqu

Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. You are stuck with a broken unit for two years if your phone is currently not under warranty.
My droid 1 had this problem. Fortunately for me, the d1 was easy to take apart and fix. I applied electronic conducting grease to the pins and reassembled it. Works like new now and I can yank and torque on the jack with no audio loss or quality issues.

The droid incredible might be just as easy to fix yourself. Do a LOT of research and find teardown videos on YouTube to see if it's a simple matter to get to the jack (assuming it works similarly to the d1). You might just have a broken component.