Another Headphone Jack Thread...Sigh

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by RiotSauce, Apr 5, 2010.

1. RiotSauce

RiotSauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I am using Skull Candy INK'D headphones (just a little background info)

When I first got my Droid, the headphone jacked worked great-- From the start though, I could tell that it was a little loose. Within a few months, my headphones would keep cutting in and out while listening to music-- this was remedied by lightly inserting the headphones, however it was not practical because the headphones would just come out on their own because they were so loose.

I brought back my Droid to Best Buy (that geek squad protection is actually worth it), and they replaced it with no questions asked.

So onto my second Droid, less than a month in, my headphone jack shorts up again. I checked the headset jack the moment I got my new Droid and it was much sturdier than the last-- I can deal with the fact that maybe I just got a bad unit the first time around. Now, what has happened is that whenever I bump my headphone connector, the phone thinks that they have been removed. The top part of the 3.5 pin, I believe is digging into the plastic headset connector on the Droid-- this in turn lets the headphones go deeper in than they should. It's almost impossible to keep my headphones correctly inserted-- they go in way to much and now the headset is loose again.

To make a few things clear, to people who think I could possibly be negligent :), I know not to keep my headphones plugged in and then to wrap it around the phone... I unplug my headphones all the time when I am done using and I make sure my Droid isn't cramped within my pocket.

Coming from an iPhone, I actually did do the above mentioned things to the phone and it still withstood better than the Droid.

I love Google, I love Android, but if this persists I may exchange for a new device.

Any ideas?

Questions/tips/need more info?

2. RiotSauce

RiotSauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    /bump for sound!

3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Known design issue within the phone. If wired headphones are a necessity for you than you'll likely be best served by getting another device (maybe the HTC Incredible due out this week or next). Otherwise there is a 'fix' for it involving putting a thin piece of plastic in between the jack and the phones case (search).

4. DesktopDevin

DesktopDevin Active Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    I have gotten reamed for suggesting this before, but there is an alternative.

Take the jack out of the picture and use a set of bluetooth headphones.

No wires dangling all around and you don't have to worry about the jack anymore.

5. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    considering a bit of strategically placed hot glue for mine..

6. RiotSauce

RiotSauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, there are probably plausible work-arounds but there is a point where the producer has to meet the consumer halfway with these issues, and I think asking me to blow $$ on bluetooth headphones that will only work for my phone is a little much.

Hope I didn't "ream" ya too much :p -- I hate getting all "consumer rights" but I believe Motorola is obligated to provide a real, long term solution rather than having me just drive out to best buy to keep swapping my phones out.

Search tags for this page
droid 4 android phone headset microphone pinout
droid bionic phone jack pinout
droid razr headset pinout
droid razr max headset jack pinout

galaxy s3 headphone jack pinout

headphone jack
xt875 or bionic headphone pinout