Another Headphone Jack Thread...Sigh

RiotSauce

Reaction score
Ok, so I am using Skull Candy INK'D headphones (just a little background info)

When I first got my Droid, the headphone jacked worked great-- From the start though, I could tell that it was a little loose. Within a few months, my headphones would keep cutting in and out while listening to music-- this was remedied by lightly inserting the headphones, however it was not practical because the headphones would just come out on their own because they were so loose.

I brought back my Droid to Best Buy (that geek squad protection is actually worth it), and they replaced it with no questions asked.

So onto my second Droid, less than a month in, my headphone jack shorts up again. I checked the headset jack the moment I got my new Droid and it was much sturdier than the last-- I can deal with the fact that maybe I just got a bad unit the first time around. Now, what has happened is that whenever I bump my headphone connector, the phone thinks that they have been removed. The top part of the 3.5 pin, I believe is digging into the plastic headset connector on the Droid-- this in turn lets the headphones go deeper in than they should. It's almost impossible to keep my headphones correctly inserted-- they go in way to much and now the headset is loose again.

To make a few things clear, to people who think I could possibly be negligent :), I know not to keep my headphones plugged in and then to wrap it around the phone... I unplug my headphones all the time when I am done using and I make sure my Droid isn't cramped within my pocket.

Coming from an iPhone, I actually did do the above mentioned things to the phone and it still withstood better than the Droid.

I love Google, I love Android, but if this persists I may exchange for a new device.

Any ideas?

Questions/tips/need more info?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Known design issue within the phone. If wired headphones are a necessity for you than you'll likely be best served by getting another device (maybe the HTC Incredible due out this week or next). Otherwise there is a 'fix' for it involving putting a thin piece of plastic in between the jack and the phones case (search).

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I have gotten reamed for suggesting this before, but there is an alternative.

Take the jack out of the picture and use a set of bluetooth headphones.

No wires dangling all around and you don't have to worry about the jack anymore.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
considering a bit of strategically placed hot glue for mine..

OP
R

RiotSauce

Reaction score
I have gotten reamed for suggesting this before, but there is an alternative.

Take the jack out of the picture and use a set of bluetooth headphones.

No wires dangling all around and you don't have to worry about the jack anymore.

Yeah, there are probably plausible work-arounds but there is a point where the producer has to meet the consumer halfway with these issues, and I think asking me to blow $$ on bluetooth headphones that will only work for my phone is a little much.

Hope I didn't "ream" ya too much :p -- I hate getting all "consumer rights" but I believe Motorola is obligated to provide a real, long term solution rather than having me just drive out to best buy to keep swapping my phones out.