Droid Does... AOL?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wuyanks, Jul 22, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 7/22 @2:19PM EST: AOL News, Apps and Sites app does not have internal mail checker. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the update guys!

Android is slowly gaining the reputation of reviving companies who had struggled with the mobile transition. First with Motorola. Then with Sony Ericsson. Now... AOL? Maybe. Today, AOL released two new apps to the Android Market to give mobile users a better experience with AOL on the go. The first app, AOL News, Apps and Sites allows users to check their AOL mail (obviously), but that is just the start. You are also able to view content AOL's other sites, like Engadget, PopEater, and FanHouse. You are also granted access to a nice UI for MapQuest.

The Daily Finance Mobile app is the second released today by AOL. From this app, you will be able to view financial news and real-time stock quotes; you will also be able to set up and track up to 25 portfolios. Both apps are currently available on the Android Market for free.

[​IMG]
    In addition to the two newly-released Android apps, AOL also announced that it revamped its mobile website. Now optimized for HTML5 browsers (read: Android and iPhone browsers), the new AOL mobile site "delivers location-based content related to local weather, movie, traffic and other updates; and an application directory."

So, is Android on the verge of reviving another company late to the smartphone game? Possibly, according to David Temkin, AOL's new Vice President of Mobile:

AOL released an AIM app recently as well. Thoughts on AOL's suddenly increased presence in the mobile world?

Source: TechCrunch

2. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great, now instead of hearing "droid" constantly youll be wisked back to the late 90's/ early 2000's by hearing "youve got mail!" constantly lol

3. RobertHaw

RobertHaw New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is AOL still around?? WOW. That's one app I think I'll pass on even before I try it.

4. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Silver Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    I hope this helps logging onto AOL mail. I have been having a heck of a time getting into my mail. Fact is I just stopped checking it. ( its a standby email anyway ) Just saying.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'd be impressed if it actually let you into your account. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

And many people still have AOL. My brother refuses to let go of his account. Silly if you ask me.

6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    the Email app works just fine with AOL mail...

7. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yea I was surprised also, I think they have around 5 million members, a far cry from the 30+ million members they had 5-10 years ago.

8. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Silver Member

Ratings:
    +231
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    I didnt see any mail app. I can get to sign in area however where to click to go to it isnt there. anyway the AOL News etc. isnt any better Oh well

9. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,794
    tried it; i too thought it would allow u to check your mail......oh well uninstalling.

10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    updated OP.

11. toddj

toddj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of agree with aol being an IM of the past. I still have my username and everything though, and can only get in contact with most of my friends via AIM. I just wish more people would make the transition to gtalk.
    What i really don't understand are the people that have android devices and DON'T use gtalk! Nonsense!

12. calbrs04

calbrs04 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    AIM on my droid is a battery killer. Anyone else having this problem?

Search tags for this page

does aol have a droid app