TV Guide or Channel Listing

asmallchild

Reaction score
Anyone know of an app that shows Channel listings?

I know on my iPod Touch I can use AOL's TV channel listings in the Safari browser and it's specially formatted just for the iPod/iPhone browser.

On my old Storm, I'd use to go to the TVguide mobile site and just used the ugly, text-based listing.

I'd love to be able to use an app for this on my new Droid, or at least a specially formatted website.

Thanks!

techguru

Reaction score
There are two that I have found in the market for US listings. Neither is perfect, although at least one has been getting updates every few days since it was released a few weeks ago and is better with every release.

"USA TV Guide" is the one that is getting lots of work. It gets listings based on your timezone which it gets from your GPS or you can specify a location, so it is not specific to your cable provider, but it has all of the network and most of the standard cable and the movie channels, but doesn't have, for instance, all fo the different MTV channels and doesn't separately list HD channels. It does allow you to select favorites to display and kind of allows sorting, although the interface to sort is currently so clunky I haven't bothered. Display is a very nice scrollable grid. It does allow you to search for a specific program, and it has 3 days of data at one time.

The other one is TV-Guide USA (subtle difference, I know). It allows you to specify your specific cable system and lists all of the channels in the right order. however, it is more like the TV-Guide mobile site in that it only provides the current time and the next two programs (whatever time they start) in a long text list. It does scroll much faster thant the TV Guide site though. You can filter to see just movies or just sports, but otherwise no ability to show just favorite channels. Because of this, I find the first one more useful despite its limitations.

Alan

OP
asmallchild

asmallchild

Reaction score
There are two that I have found in the market for US listings. Neither is perfect, although at least one has been getting updates every few days since it was released a few weeks ago and is better with every release.

"USA TV Guide" is the one that is getting lots of work. It gets listings based on your timezone which it gets from your GPS or you can specify a location, so it is not specific to your cable provider, but it has all of the network and most of the standard cable and the movie channels, but doesn't have, for instance, all fo the different MTV channels and doesn't separately list HD channels. It does allow you to select favorites to display and kind of allows sorting, although the interface to sort is currently so clunky I haven't bothered. Display is a very nice scrollable grid. It does allow you to search for a specific program, and it has 3 days of data at one time.

The other one is TV-Guide USA (subtle difference, I know). It allows you to specify your specific cable system and lists all of the channels in the right order. however, it is more like the TV-Guide mobile site in that it only provides the current time and the next two programs (whatever time they start) in a long text list. It does scroll much faster thant the TV Guide site though. You can filter to see just movies or just sports, but otherwise no ability to show just favorite channels. Because of this, I find the first one more useful despite its limitations.

Alan

awesome, thanks so much for the help!

jev

Reaction score
I use whats on by napkin studio on my ipod but it's currently not available in the market. I emailed the guys at napkin studio and they are working on one for android and they said it should be ready soon. I think it's one of the best guides out there and it beats the ones for the droid. Hopefully they'll release it soon.

gmack35

Reaction score
i use the second one mention above, TV-Guide USA, and it is pretty good. lists all the channels on my system in order, shows the current time and the next two shows, then you press on the channel and get the whole days programming with detailed show descriptions.

good to hear that 'whats on' will be coming to android soon, used it on my ipod touch regularly.

moosc

Reaction score
i like the first one. perfect for driving i can find the channels in motels but looking and seeing what is on makes it better

PatG

Reaction score
Another drawback of TV-Guide USA is that it does not indicate new show / repeat. It does say what Episode it is, but that doesn't always indicate if the show is a new one or a repeat. I have not used USA TV Guide.

PatG

Reaction score

phone

Reaction score