Verizon Wireless and AOL are Teaming Up to Offer New Browser Bookmark

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-curved.png
AOL_Logo_3d.png

Here's something for you guys to collective groan and laugh about at the same time. Apparently Verizon and AOL have teamed up. What sort of ground-breaking new feature/service could these two bring to the table with their collaboration? Why, it's an AOL.com browser bookmark of course! Here's a quote with a full description, just in case you are like me and had to do a double-take because you over-complicated it in your mind,

This is one that will have the AOL.com portal coming to Verizon Wireless smartphones. In addition to the smartphones, the portal will also be available on “certain” tablets. Verizon hasn’t specified which tablets, however they have said it will include some running Android.

This is set to go into effect sometime “this summer” and basically means quick and easy access to the AOL.com portal. This means access to everything from breaking news to maps and weather as well as popular videos and live streaming events. The portal is also able to be customized which will allow the user to narrow things down to the information and details they want to see.

Basically, if you are using an Android device with Verizon Wireless — at some point this summer you will likely notice the AOL portal access. Verizon didn’t offer much in terms of specifics here though. As of now the details include how “customers will have the AOL portal bookmarked on their smart phones and tablets’ web browsers.”

Well... at least this isn't something as intrusive as an app. It's a great deal easier to get rid of a bookmark, making this a relatively minor bit of bloat.

What is there to say about this? Does anyone still use AOL?

Source: AOL and Verizon partnership will bring a new browser bookmark | Android Community

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I knew they had a website, that was all I thought it was anymore though, just a news aggregate service pulling news from elsewhere. I don't even use AIM anymore. haven't for years

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Waste of time, and resources.

VZW could use the the money spent on this garbage to ensure that their networks don't get choked by overuse (like what happens when there's a ball game or festival and a tower gets saturated) or expanding their markets. But instead they do this. When will they learn that they make money by providing network access. That's all they are... a network provider, and to do anything else is DUMB. If you have a good network people will freely hand you money. You'll have to turn them away! It's that simple. Nobody wants this crap bookmark. Nobody wants your garbage apps. NOBODY. So just stop it.

UGH! What do they smoke in their boardroom that makes this seem like this is something people want?

(Yes, I realize I'm just pointlessly shouting into thin air.)

xtor

Reaction score
Aol!, wasn't this around during the 386 or 486 day's?

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! SENT FROM NOTE 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Waste of time, and resources.

VZW could use the the money spent on this garbage to ensure that their networks don't get choked by overuse (like what happens when there's a ball game or festival and a tower gets saturated) or expanding their markets. But instead they do this. When will they learn that they make money by providing network access. That's all they are... a network provider, and to do anything else is DUMB. If you have a good network people will freely hand you money. You'll have to turn them away! It's that simple. Nobody wants this crap bookmark. Nobody wants your garbage apps. NOBODY. So just stop it.

UGH! What do they smoke in their boardroom that makes this seem like this is something people want?

(Yes, I realize I'm just pointlessly shouting into thin air.)
Don't lie Dusty, you've been waiting for the day that Verizon made the AOL Portal available on their hand sets :big smile:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I've been using AOL since 97 .. the desktop that is. It's free and I'm just used to it. My internet provider is Comcast tho..