Droid Bionic vs Droid 3

donzz

Reaction score
With my contract expiring this summer with Verizon I will be in need of a new cell phone. I currently have the D-1. The Droid Bionic sounds very promising but I am intrigued by the rumors of the Droid 3. Does anyone have any inside secrets of the Droid 3 or can anyone point me in the right direction for some possible Droid 3 specs? TIA

cpjr

Reaction score
If we had any....they would be posted on the forum already.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
The Droid 3 is basically a Bionic with a keyboard and apparently a 4" display instead of the previous 3.7". Also, a lack of LTE. Don't know how much truth is in these rumors, but it sounds legit more or less.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Droid 3 is basically a Bionic with a keyboard and apparently a 4" display instead of the previous 3.7". Also, a lack of LTE. Don't know how much truth is in these rumors, but it sounds legit more or less.

Pretty much sums it up. If he has LTE in his area now or soon, the Bionic is a no-brainer. If he needs a physical keyboard, D3. I'd guess the D3 likely will be out about 2 months after the Bionic.

mjforte

Reaction score
Verizon really needs to consider making the Droid 3 an LTE device in my opinion. All the LTE devices that are planned are all the same, they all have 4.3" screens, all touchscreen, just made by different OEMs. An LTE device with a slider is definitely needed.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon really needs to consider making the Droid 3 an LTE device in my opinion. All the LTE devices that are planned are all the same, they all have 4.3" screens, all touchscreen, just made by different OEMs. An LTE device with a slider is definitely needed.

Physical keyboards should really be an optional accessory. That may not be ideal for some, especially with a 2nd battery to worry about, but it doesn't seem that hard that you could do this via bluetooth, and that only leaves the issue of attaching to different size devices which hardly seems any great feat of engineering. I don't know, maybe we are a year away yet, and maybe it's a capability Google needs to add to Android.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Physical keyboards should really be an optional accessory. That may not be ideal for some, especially with a 2nd battery to worry about, but it doesn't seem that hard that you could do this via bluetooth, and that only leaves the issue of attaching to different size devices which hardly seems any great feat of engineering. I don't know, maybe we are a year away yet, and maybe it's a capability Google needs to add to Android.

Disagree with that unless the phone is going to cost less. I use my physical keyboard a lot which is why I went from the d1 to d2.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Disagree with that unless the phone is going to cost less. I use my physical keyboard a lot which is why I went from the d1 to d2.

Maybe, but do phones really cost more because of the physical keyboard, or are there simply trade-offs made for that option? Certainly phones with similar specs and no keyboard are comparable in price.

Why limit yourself to a choice of phones because of the keyboard? It could be a $50 accessory. Since we can't get phones made-to-order, at least you can have one option across the board. Not to mention, I don't always need the keyboard, rarer and rarer I do, and why deal with the added bulk? A universal detachable keyboard would allow all phones to reach a larger target market.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I call b/s on stock 2.4

I mean, c'mon, really?

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Isn't it gonna be like 4-5 months before the bionic comes out tho?

It's been said late Q2. I'd say either before or after the IP5, presumably at the end of June. If the TB is any indication (although we still don't know the official launch date), it would appear that VZW isn't concerned about spacing launches more than a few weeks. I don't know what else is in the pipeline or when (saying D3 and DX2 in Q2 now, as well), but I think late May/early June for the Bionic.

Bionic I think is a big deal for VZW. First, and only (for a while it looks), dual core LTE.

OP
D

donzz

Reaction score
Ok, I give up, is it a known fact that it isn't going to have LTE? That just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I call b/s on stock 2.4

I mean, c'mon, really?

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

Actually the DX2, D3 and Incredible 2 are said to be releasing this year and one if them is going to be stock Android. Now that the specs are out for the DX2 that leaves either the D3 or Incredible 2 running stock android.

Its a pretty safe bet this is good info.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk