Motorola Droid vs Droid 3

kpoker

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Droid 3. I have the motorola droid and am very happy with it. The Droid 3 looks similar and definitely is in design. Should I get the Droid 3? How do the camera's and battery life compare phone vs phone? That is my main concern. I heard the colors on the droid 3 (especially yellows?) arent that great. Are they still just as good as original motorola droid? Anyone switch from motorola droid to droid 3 who can comment. Definitely thinking about picking this up but just want to be happy with the phone. I suppose I could always get an extended battery.

I dont know if the droid 3 has the scratch resistant cover.

Also, how is the speakerphone? Heard its on the reverse side of the phone which is odd.

Last edited:

kookk

Reaction score
Its close to being outdated, already. The Droid 4 is going to be out soon and it will be 4g so if I were you, and set on a Droid, I get that. Or you could do as the rest of the forum and get a nexus next week, that's my personal next upgrade.

As for the screen, I haven't held a Droid 3 but I can almost ensure that the screen color will be better than the og, but its pentile like the x2 so its a Tad pixelated

Sent from my cyanobolt

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Looks like the droid 4 will have the slideout keyboard too. Any good links to a good droid 4 review?

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Looks like the droid 4 will have the slideout keyboard too. Any good links to a good droid 4 review?

The Droid 4 isn't out yet so it can't be reviewed. Last rumored date I heard for it was Dec 22nd. But rumored release dates are often wrong with Verizon, especially if there is more than 1 person that wants the device ;) .

As far as which one you should look at, on paper the D4 seems to be shaping up to be superior to the D3, but that doesn't mean it is the right device for you. The Droid 4 looks to be a blend of the Droid 3 and Razr. It has the same, if not similar keyboard of the Droid 3. It looks to be a global phone, like the D3. It looks to take a little styling lessons from the Razr though, also there is a possibility it doesn't have a removable battery like the Razr (I could be wrong on this). Also it is getting LTE, more RAM, and perhaps even a bump in processor speed. It also has the webtop enabled accessories for it, the D3 didn't get these.

What you should do is think about what you use your phone for.
Do you have a need/want for LTE?
What sort of tasks do you use your phone for? If you are a basic user, a slight bump in processor and more RAM may not really benefit you much. Gamers, and users more complex apps should benefit from the bump though.
Pricing - The D4 since it is LTE, more than likely will be around $300 initially. While the D3 you can find for less than that. I could be wrong on this, but Verizon has put high end LTE phones at $300

I can't really help with the D3 questions though, as I haven't really used one beyond toying with someone else's or one in a store. I can say I noticed a difference in the screens, comparing my OG Droid to the D3. But not everyone does.

dolpns13

Reaction score
Its close to being outdated, already. The Droid 4 is going to be out soon and it will be 4g so if I were you, and set on a Droid, I get that. Or you could do as the rest of the forum and get a nexus next week, that's my personal next upgrade.

As for the screen, I haven't held a Droid 3 but I can almost ensure that the screen color will be better than the og, but its pentile like the x2 so its a Tad pixelated

Sent from my cyanobolt

Do you know how big the Nexus and Droid 4 will be? I also have an OG Droid and have an upgrade to use. I had the Rezound but returned it not because of size but because of battery. I love the size of the OG Droid and dont want to go much bigger than that. Phone's like the Razr and the Bionic are way to huge for me. For me a size something inbetween the Droid and the Rezound would be perfect. I heard the Droid 4 will be just as big as the Razr except it will be a slider, if true that would make the phone enormous.

dolpns13

Reaction score
The Droid 4 isn't out yet so it can't be reviewed. Last rumored date I heard for it was Dec 22nd. But rumored release dates are often wrong with Verizon, especially if there is more than 1 person that wants the device ;) .

As far as which one you should look at, on paper the D4 seems to be shaping up to be superior to the D3, but that doesn't mean it is the right device for you. The Droid 4 looks to be a blend of the Droid 3 and Razr. It has the same, if not similar keyboard of the Droid 3. It looks to be a global phone, like the D3. It looks to take a little styling lessons from the Razr though, also there is a possibility it doesn't have a removable battery like the Razr (I could be wrong on this). Also it is getting LTE, more RAM, and perhaps even a bump in processor speed. It also has the webtop enabled accessories for it, the D3 didn't get these.

What you should do is think about what you use your phone for.
Do you have a need/want for LTE?
What sort of tasks do you use your phone for? If you are a basic user, a slight bump in processor and more RAM may not really benefit you much. Gamers, and users more complex apps should benefit from the bump though.
Pricing - The D4 since it is LTE, more than likely will be around $300 initially. While the D3 you can find for less than that. I could be wrong on this, but Verizon has put high end LTE phones at $300

I can't really help with the D3 questions though, as I haven't really used one beyond toying with someone else's or one in a store. I can say I noticed a difference in the screens, comparing my OG Droid to the D3. But not everyone does.

Dumb question, but what exactly is LTE? I know 4g LTE is the network speed but the way you say "if you need LTE" makes me think there are 4g phones and then there are 4g LTE phones.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Dumb question, but what exactly is LTE? I know 4g LTE is the network speed but the way you say "if you need LTE" makes me think there are 4g phones and then there are 4g LTE phones.

LTE= Long Term Evolution. Its a 4G standard. This is true 4G whereas At&t and tmobile's 4G is just a beefed up 3G or 3.5G if you will.

Sprints WiMax is another 4G standard, but its been shown LTE is faster and supposedly more stable.

Oh....and there are no dumb question ;)

"Stay classy interwebz"

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok then.

LTE hasn't even been reached yet btw.

However, I have the D3 and it is a fantastic phone. A dual core processor and twice the RAM of the d1 and this is quite a worthy upgrade.

For size comparison, the Thunderbolt is the exact same size.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Do you know how big the Nexus and Droid 4 will be? I also have an OG Droid and have an upgrade to use. I had the Rezound but returned it not because of size but because of battery. I love the size of the OG Droid and dont want to go much bigger than that. Phone's like the Razr and the Bionic are way to huge for me. For me a size something inbetween the Droid and the Rezound would be perfect. I heard the Droid 4 will be just as big as the Razr except it will be a slider, if true that would make the phone enormous.

Yeah I'd be interested in size aspects also. I'd think the Droid 4 would be small like the motorola droid but you never know.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The D4 'looks' similar to the RAZR.

I'll take a pic of my D3 in comparison to my D1 in a few minutes.

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
421fd7e8-e92b-1ba7.jpg

421fd7e8-e937-e506.jpg

421fd7e8-e942-b6d5.jpg

OP
K

kpoker

Reaction score
Wow didnt realize how much bigger the droid 3 is then the original motorola droid? Is it too big in the hands or not really? Hoping the droid 4 isnt even bigger.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow didnt realize how much bigger the droid 3 is then the original motorola droid? Is it too big in the hands or not really? Hoping the droid 4 isnt even bigger.

Tbh I've had no trouble moving to the larger footprint. I don't use a case and wear it in my front jeans pocket and its no harder to remove than my D1 was.