Droid and Magnet

mtnman64

Reaction score
Anyone figure out a way to overcome the magnet issue of carrying the phone in a horizontal pouch? I have always carried my phones in a side pouch with magnet closure; can't tolerate the velcro (much too noisy!).

Really want to go with the Droid, but understand the magnets in my side pouch will throw the phone into car dock mode, killing the battery.

Thanks!

GolfProRM

Reaction score
I've got a horizontal pouch with magnets, and as long as I put the phone in with the screen facing outward, it doesn't activate car/dock mode.

Also, unless you have an app setup that doesn't allow the screen to go to sleep, even if it kicks into dock mode, the screen will still time-out and go to sleep, so it won't make a significant difference in battery life.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You will have to test that with whatever pouch you get....screen in/out, top of phone in first vs. bottom.....

Taina51

Reaction score
Anyone figure out a way to overcome the magnet issue of carrying the phone in a horizontal pouch? I have always carried my phones in a side pouch with magnet closure; can't tolerate the velcro (much too noisy!).

Really want to go with the Droid, but understand the magnets in my side pouch will throw the phone into car dock mode, killing the battery.

Thanks!
Before you give up the magnetic case, try changing the position of the Droid inside the case. I have a magnetic case as well and it solved the issue. Good luck!

OP
M

mtnman64

Reaction score
Taina51, how did you "change" the position in the pouch? I always carry devices screen in, to protect when I bump against things. So curious how to adjust position to avoid the magnet issue.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taina51, how did you "change" the position in the pouch? I always carry devices screen in, to protect when I bump against things. So curious how to adjust position to avoid the magnet issue.
I think they're referring to doing the exact opposite you do now... turn the face of the phone 'outward', it will keep the back of the phone (where the magnet interacts) away from the magnet itself.
I'm with you on this though, I always put the screen facing in.

huskur

Reaction score
seido makes a magnetic closure case for the droid and they say it does not affect the modes

Raydee35

Reaction score
The phone will still timeout and go to sleep even if it goes into car dock or home dock mode. I have been carrying my Droid in my old Blackberry magnetic case and there are no ill effects. Yes it goes into dock mode and then the screen turns off like normal and goes to sleep.

Taina51

Reaction score
I think they're referring to doing the exact opposite you do now... turn the face of the phone 'outward', it will keep the back of the phone (where the magnet interacts) away from the magnet itself.
I'm with you on this though, I always put the screen facing in.
That is correct

chrisjett

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. I just heard about the magnet issue today. I recently purchased my wife a Motorola Droid and got myself the HTC Droid Eris, (both from Verizon). We ordered cases and they sent the magnetic closure horizontal case. From reading through threads today it seems that there may be a concern that the magnet on the case might drain the battery.

My first question is, would this be the same situation for both the Motorola Droid and the Droid Eris?

Secondly, has anyone definitively proven that by having the screen facing outwards it will stop the drain of the battery?

And third, other than the battery drain, could the magnet actually affect the usage of the phone or is it just a drain to the battery.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Last edited:

JoeProcopio

Reaction score
i'm using the case i bought with my voyager, the leather magnetic case from verizon, and I carry it screen out. dock mode doesn't turn on, but if i put the screen in, it does...i have never carried it face in, so it "just works" for me, lol.

entropi

Reaction score
The app "Dock Blocker" on the market allows you to toggle preventing Car Home or Multimedia Station from launching when your phone thinks it is docked.

(Disclaimer: I wrote Dock Blocker, due to my annoyance with the holster magnet dock launch scenario. Please feel free to let me know of any problems you run into with it.)

Last edited:

mrhavoc1988

Reaction score
Not to jack this thread but im not so much concerned about the holster magnet as a home speaker magnet. I have 2 12" subwoofer boxes (with speakers) that i use as a table. I noticed with my blackberry storm the phone would kind of lag if i set it on the boxes, and that had a auto dock sensor inside. i dont want to mess up my brand new eris because of a speaker magnet. If anyone has ANY thoughts and/or info on it I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance to everyone that replies!!