1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Will magnetic damage the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by nomad, Dec 16, 2009.

1. nomad

nomad New Member

Hi all.
    I have noticed that the magnetic flap of my droid pouch has activated the phone every time I insert or pull the phone in/out of the pouch.
    Even though, the screen will shut off as it supposes to be, but I just wonder will the magnetic will affect, or damage the phone, such as the GPS feature.
    Thanks in advanced for any advices.
  2. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Both the car-dock and the desktop-dock (a.k.a Multimedia Dock) have magnets that are designed to activate features on the phone. Hence the reason why the magnet in your pouch activates the phone.

Since it's a design feature that the various Droid docks use a magnet to activate features on the phone, I'd say it's a good bet a different magnet won't cause problems. Unless it's a REALLY strong magnet -- strong enough to erase the memory of the phone itself -- I think you're good.
  3. GreyMouser

GreyMouser New Member

The Droid uses magnets to identify when it's in a dock; both the Car dock and the Media Dock have a magnet. So, when you holster your Droid, it's going into a dock mode (which is keeping the screen on.) You're going to see a dramatic decrease in battery life in that holster. The reason you're seeing the phone "activating" is because it is coming out of dock mode when you pull it from the holster, which returns you to the home screen.

So no, it won't damage your Droid, it WILL decrease your battery life.

-M
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

If I were you, I would find a case that does not use magnets just in case.
  5. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

Just the opposite of a Blackberry which goes to sleep in the magnetic holster. The Droid wakes up around magnets.
  6. nomad

nomad New Member

Thanks guys!
    I think I can use the holster then. Except that I have to turn it off after holstering.
    BTW. The screen is off while the phone staying inside the holster.
    My only concern is if any future damages to the phone itself.
  7. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

if the holster makes it go into a certain mode (media or car) it can and will drain your battery.
  8. coolkidd

coolkidd New Member

Better use a case with velcro... Cases with magnetic flaps will just drain your battery since it will activate it as if it is attached to a multimedia dock.
  9. radioz

radioz New Member

Magnetism will NOT affect the memory in your Droid.
  10. nomad

nomad New Member

Here is my final decision: not using the magnetic pouch.
    Reason: the magnet turns the phone into car dock mode, and I cannot turn it off, except reboot the phone.
  11. base

base New Member

I bought the Verizon Pouch for the Droid before I heard of the magnet problem. The Pouch looks nice and has very positive case closure using magnets. Initially, I would insert the Droid with the glass face pointed in and with the back to the magnets. The Droid would sometimes go into the car mode or sometimes media mode. I then started experimenting and found with this case there is one way that you can insert the Droid where the magnets don't seem to affect it. You have to insert the Droid with the glass facing outwards and the gold camera button pointed up. The Droid doesn't turn on in the Pouch with this orientation. Be aware, that puts the power button right where you pull it out so your finger will engage the button when you pull it out of the Pouch. That's really what you want anyway.
  12. Sp3aK

Sp3aK New Member

I have the velcro Verizon pouch, works fine. Although the velcro noise is kind of annoying I'm really just not noticing it much anymore. I also doin't like the idea of the screen having to be facing out (even in a pouch).
  13. Istus

Istus New Member

Verizon sells a new holster with 2 magnets towards the ends rather than one in the middle. I've found no problems with the phone going into a docked mode while it is in the case but occasionally I pass the phone by the magnet when I am pulling it from the holster and it will flash one of the dock screens before going to the home screen.
  14. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Actually, I bought some REALLY REALLY strong magnets on Ebay. They were 15 bucks. I literally had to pry them apart using leverage, and when I finally got them apart they snapped back together so strongly it left a mark on my fingers. I use that on the back of my Droid, and I have zero problems.

-Wil
  15. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Magnets of any strength will not erase the memory of the droid. They erase things off harddisks and tapes because those are magnetic storage devices. Flash memory, such as SD cards and thumb drives do not use magnets to hold their information, and because of that are invulnerable to magnetic fields.

The more you know... :D
  16. karnaak

karnaak New Member

You may want to try Dock Blocker which can be downloaded from the App Market for free, I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it solves the problem for me.
  17. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Nice find. Have you tested it by passing a magnet across the phone? Does the phone turn on at all when a magnet is passed over it, with this app installed?

I would love to know if this works!
  18. karnaak

karnaak New Member

I've tested it with the case my wife purchased for me, before installing the application (when trying to justify buying a new case or cutting the magnets out of this case) I could show off the docking mode simply by putting the flap (with magnet) on the back of the DROID, this would always pop me in Car or Media dock mode.

After installing the application, and testing it to verify it wasn't just wasting space I could not get the docking mode to work when passing or holding the magnet under the phone.

I think what the application does is simply blocks the API calls by the OS from calling the dock methods. This keeps the phone in sleep mode now in the case (as long as I remember to change my settings in Sleep Mode (app which will keep the phone from locking or the screen from dimming).
  19. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Well, awesome, Karnaak. This seems to be the answer to OP's question, and I'm glad to know this, because I want to buy a Droid Car dock, but don't want to use car mode.
  20. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out why my screen kept turning on when i take it out of my pouch. Thank you for putting my mind at ease... Now if i could just figure out how i keep turning the flash on :-\
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
Search tags for this page
can a magnet damage a htc incredible 2
can a magnet damage my cell phone

can magnets damage cell phones

do magnets affect cell phone batteries

do magnets damage cell phones

do magnets hurt cell phones

do magnets ruin cell phones

does magnet affect cell phone
how to destroy a cell phone with a magnet
magnet damage galaxy s3