Will magnetic damage the Droid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nomad, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Istus

Istus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon sells a new holster with 2 magnets towards the ends rather than one in the middle. I've found no problems with the phone going into a docked mode while it is in the case but occasionally I pass the phone by the magnet when I am pulling it from the holster and it will flash one of the dock screens before going to the home screen.

2. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I bought some REALLY REALLY strong magnets on Ebay. They were 15 bucks. I literally had to pry them apart using leverage, and when I finally got them apart they snapped back together so strongly it left a mark on my fingers. I use that on the back of my Droid, and I have zero problems.

-Wil

3. Rettocs

Rettocs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Magnets of any strength will not erase the memory of the droid. They erase things off harddisks and tapes because those are magnetic storage devices. Flash memory, such as SD cards and thumb drives do not use magnets to hold their information, and because of that are invulnerable to magnetic fields.

The more you know... :D

4. karnaak

karnaak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to try Dock Blocker which can be downloaded from the App Market for free, I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it solves the problem for me.

5. Rettocs

Rettocs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice find. Have you tested it by passing a magnet across the phone? Does the phone turn on at all when a magnet is passed over it, with this app installed?

I would love to know if this works!

6. karnaak

karnaak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tested it with the case my wife purchased for me, before installing the application (when trying to justify buying a new case or cutting the magnets out of this case) I could show off the docking mode simply by putting the flap (with magnet) on the back of the DROID, this would always pop me in Car or Media dock mode.

After installing the application, and testing it to verify it wasn't just wasting space I could not get the docking mode to work when passing or holding the magnet under the phone.

I think what the application does is simply blocks the API calls by the OS from calling the dock methods. This keeps the phone in sleep mode now in the case (as long as I remember to change my settings in Sleep Mode (app which will keep the phone from locking or the screen from dimming).

7. Rettocs

Rettocs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, awesome, Karnaak. This seems to be the answer to OP's question, and I'm glad to know this, because I want to buy a Droid Car dock, but don't want to use car mode.

8. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out why my screen kept turning on when i take it out of my pouch. Thank you for putting my mind at ease... Now if i could just figure out how i keep turning the flash on :-\

#20 knotbeerdan, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. JamesX

JamesX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my screen still turns off in dock mode.

Where is the option to keep it on? Or is there only the "Keep Screen on when Plugged in" option?

10. Istus

Istus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need to have it plugged into a power source that provides enough power. When plugged into the computer, the droid does not get enough power (500mA) and cannot support charging and running the phone. Instead, use the wall adapter to provide the necessary power requirements for the phone.

11. unkilbeeg

unkilbeeg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My concern with magnetic closure holsters is possible damage to the magnetometers. You know, the ones that drive the compass functionality?

The dock magnets mesh with the back at a specific point. Random exposure to magnets right over where the magnetometers live (no, I don't know where that is) could conceivably magnetize some components in or around them, and cause a systematic inaccuracy of the orientation sensors.

I got the Verizon velcro case.

12. Rettocs

Rettocs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In order to get magnetized, a piece of metal needs to have a magnet rubbed across the surface directly over and over in order to align the rods to have a polarity. Then after being bounced around without having a magnet attached, it will lose this polarity and go back to normal. It actually is pretty hard to magnetize just any piece of metal and keep it magnetized.

Search tags for this page
can a magnet damage a htc incredible 2

can magnets damage cell phones

do magnets affect cell phone batteries

do magnets damage cell phones

do magnets hurt cell phones
do magnets ruin cell phones
how to destroy a cell phone with a magnet

will a magnet damage a cell phone

will magnet hurt cell phone

will magnets damage cell phones