Droid acts crazy when charging

amandals2007

Reaction score
We all know droids don't have the best battery life. I've accepted this and charge it frequently. I got this phone as a replacement to the fascinate when it wasn't working and I begged to get out of that phone. (I'm giving all info I have hoping it will help). I got the phone with a basic universal charger as is my car charger. When I plug it in the screen goes wacky. I can barlet unlock the phone, I can't use the virtual keyboard because if I touch the m key it gives me all other letters but m or gives me 10 m in a row. I can't play games because the screen thinks I'm touching other areas than what I'm touching. Does this make sence to anyone? Can someone tell me what's going on or is this something I have to deal with?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a known issue. You need an OEM type charger from Motorola. Otherwise you will experience this everytime you charge the phone.

OP
A

amandals2007

Reaction score
So should I call verizon about this since they sent this with my phone?

robert70

Reaction score
Yes you should talk to vzw however if you let this go on for to long, it will mess up your charging port, it took me awhile to figure out what was causing the same issue with my x2 and now its something I have to live with as I'm not going to get a refurbished phone under warrenty to have more problems than the screen thing while charging.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
A

amandals2007

Reaction score
I've had the phone for about two months I'm guessing. Is that too long?

AshRiv

Reaction score
Have the same problem. I've only had this DROID for a couple weeks.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I've noticed this with the OEM charger. Returned phone recently for "certified new" replacement. Haven't noticed the problem we're talking about on the replacement--it just doesn't work correctly at all. Needless to say, I'm returning it for another "certified new" model. The D3 build quality seems less than stellar from my perspective. I love the phone anyway.

OP
A

amandals2007

Reaction score
So are u saying I should tell verizon about it and maybe get a replacement?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
So are u saying I should tell verizon about it and maybe get a replacement?

No, I guess not. At least personally, I wouldn't return the phone for this problem. I returned mine because the WIFI wouldn't turn on anymore.

That being said, if the problem bothers you then you've gotta do what you gotta do. Talk to Verizon and they'll probably send you another phone. HOWEVER, I have to warn you. This is my experience with the Droid 3:

1) 1st brand new Droid had one pixel that wouldn't turn black so I returned it for another new one...
2) 2nd brand new Droid had at least a dozen of the same pixels. Also, a couple of the keys on the physical keyboard required extra pressure or they wouldn't work. I kept the phone anyway and just dealt with it until the WIFI wouldn't turn on anymore so they sent me a "certified new" one...
3) 3rd one works great. Keyboard works perfectly, pixels perfect, etc. The only problem is that the screen touch sensitivity doesn't work so they are sending me another "certified new" phone...
4) 4th phone arrives today...

Now, I'm not one to return products. Yes, I returned the new one because of the bad pixel but hey it was a new phone with a bad pixel. What would you do? I kept my second D3 despite the problems. Only when the WIFI gave out did I give in. Note also that I had my original Droid for over a year without any problem. I'm just trying to tell you that I'm not a crazy person. I don't like returning products without good reason. The moral of the story is that you may find yourself in a seemingly endless "certified new" cycle so consider this possibility when making your decision.

EDIT: Just got my 4th phone and set it up. Finally, perfect. Well, the problem mentioned in this thread is present actually. When I plugged it in using the OEM charger, the touch screen was jumpier than normal. It is kinda hard to notice though. Not a problem for me.