Droid acting crazy this morning, literally! Can't even unlock the damn thing!

s54

Reaction score
So I wake up and first thing I do is pull out the charger. Then, I try to unlock the screen. As soon as I place my finger on top of one of the dots, the phone goes haywire!

It starts to automatically and frantically pressing all the left screen dots on its own, very fast. WTF? Before I know it, the screen is locked for 30 seconds. So in the mean time I wipe the screen off very well to make sure there are no dust particles or what not that could be causing this. As soon as the 30 seconds passes, bam, it does the same thing again!

So I turn off the phone several times and even do a battery pull. Same issue repeats several times, until now. It stopped pressing the left side dots on its own, but I still cannot unlock the screen because it doesn't register any of the three left side dots, one of which is part of my unlock pattern! GRRRRR! In other words, I slide my finger from dot to dot and everything is fine until I have to point to a dot on the left side. Nothing happens. I can see the drag line pointing to the dot, but it never selects it.

At first I thought what any logical person would think - the left side of the screen is dead or something. Well, that's NOT the case. When I go to "emergency dial" menu, I can press any button on the left side of the screen without a problem (where the dots would be).

I can't access the damn phone since this morning. This sucks. I have no idea how to solve this. Seems to be some sort of software issue.

I'm running OEM firmware 2.1 with stock ROM. But I am rooted and I am running Chevy's Kernel.

Any ideas?

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
There have been a bunch of these issues in the past few days (myself including). I feel that it's either a software bug that happens/starts on a certain date or Verizon updating something?

Mine also happens when I unplug it from the charger in the mornings (10-20 mins after).

Edit: Try leaving the battery out for a minute or two, that seemed to help me rather than just pull and put back.

Edit2: In my case I am running Stock 2.1 (just wiped, still having issue)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well if it rooted you should have a nandroid for a backup restore with it see what happens.. if no backups and battery pull of 5 minutes or more does not work sbf back to 2.0.1 and try it all over sounds like a software issue..could be kernal but i doubt it..

OP
S

s54

Reaction score
I tried wiping the device and also doing nandroid backup. Both were successful, but the issue is still present. It's almost like the left side of the screen is dead. Very weird. I got fed up with this so I called Verizon and my new Droid is on the way.