razr won't turn on (only 2 weeks old) :(

OP
M

michee714

Reaction score
Update on Razr that won't turn on

So I did have to get a replacement phone... it turned out to be a hardware problem with the screen...was not the power button. They said it was nothing that I did wrong. Thanks everyone for your help! Greatly appreciated!

h0ckey18

Reaction score
What is this crap?

:mad: im heated! i too just got my droid razr for christmas yep two weeks ago. ive read some of your thoughts on how to fix it still wont work!!!. i like your jokes about the battery lol nice. i was just wondering if anybody that went to verizon if they actually fixed it. please help i have job applications im waiting for calls for. and this has really not helped me in that situation.
:hail: any help is appreciated greatly. thanks fellow droid users who also have experienced the only but pretty serious problem ive found with this phone.

h0ckey18

Reaction score
okay

im completely okay with getting a new droid razr if it wont turn on which im okay with. the thing im worried about most is if it will delete all of my data and contacts and things like that? next is if i dont have insurance on it yet, will that be a problem? because technically i didnt really destroy it or it got stolen the thing just shut off on me.

jimfollett1

Reaction score
Have you tried a soft reset yet ? (Basically the equivalent of a battery pull...)

Volume DOWN and the POWER button...hold em for about 10 seconds.

Same problem here, phone died when I tried to charge it from computer on 5% battery.

Did this trick 4 or 5 times (pressing DOWN or UP with POWER), finally worked. No, not really, it booted to "locked" screen, then went to Black again (with white light on).

Any ideas?

jimfollett1

Reaction score
Right, 3 hours of charging on the computer later, it's on. Strange, but I left it charging and dead over night to no success previously.

It's pretty obvious from the number of responses on just this forum that Motorola (read Google now) have a problem with their firmware here (BTW their recent 170MB patch made my phone unstable in general). Let's hope they can really sort their act out and start competing with iPhone by creating a more reliable product.

Necrious

Reaction score
Dead Razr

Ok, just had this problem. Phone died at school plugged into my car charger for 30 minutes to get home. Plugged it in at home. Me and the wife got ready for bed and I read a book for a while. All-in-all about 4 hours on a charger. Unplugged it from the wall and into my computer searching Blackl to see if I had to buy a new phone. had been trying soft reboot for the previous 4 hours. And as it is plugged into the computer it started for me at 5% battery life from 4 hours of charging on and off. This thing needs a car battery to kick start it in the morning, eh?

Died right after I posted this. :-(... Maybe I'll give it a day to recharge...?

Last edited:

Necrious

Reaction score
Ok, total recharge time. Had it plugged into car charger from 8:30p-9:30p, Had it on a wall charger from 9:30p-12:30a. Hooked it up to my laptop from 12:30a-2:30a. Took it off the laptop and hooked it up to the wall charger. And the light turned red for me. 8 Hours later still didn't have a full charge on it. Total Charge time: 12.5 hours for a full charge from dead.

gun1tsneak3rs

Reaction score
Does anyone one know why they do this? I set up a bunch of smart actions this morning, which I think might have caused the crash. One of the actions I set was to increase volume to to 100% when I get home. Nothing started my phone, i tried like everything...every button. So I decided my maybe I had to leave this zone and enter a new one so the smart actions would kick in. No dice. But after spamming the volume and power for like 5 minutes, it booted up. I am pretty sure I held the Increase volume and power button, simultaneously. I dont know what the hell it is...but this is my second phone...i got it yesterday. **** this im buying an iphone...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just one thing: the USB charger is not meant for deep charging and from what I've seen does not work well for bringing back up an extremely low battery.

MSC

Reaction score
My phone did the same thing. Not really sure why the battery went dead so quick. I set up the smart action the day I got it and have never had issues. Been home all day and had not used the phone once since I took it off charger ( completely charged). I used the soft reset tip and that worked but when it came back on the battery was all the way down to 10%. Which is weird b/c I have not used the phone at all today. I was on the phone all morning yesterday and I did not lose that much battery power.

newbee

Reaction score
Razr won't turn on.

I too had this issue with my Razr not turning on. This is the second one after being replaced for same reason. I read Sawmill's response on a soft restart and tried it. IT WORKED!! Thanks. First time did not work. Tried second time holding in volume button first then applying on/off button, holding both for ten seconds. Works fine all info still there.

Thanks Sawmill!
Hope this works for you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I too had this issue with my Razr not turning on. This is the second one after being replaced for same reason. I read Sawmill's response on a soft restart and tried it. IT WORKED!! Thanks. First time did not work. Tried second time holding in volume button first then applying on/off button, holding both for ten seconds. Works fine all info still there.

Thanks Sawmill!
Hope this works for you.

First, did you our anyone else who had this problem charge the phone while powered OFF? Second, Did you fully charge the phone while OFF the very first time you charged the phone BEFORE playing with it our activating it?

I suggest you power of the phone and allow it to charge fully (100%) while OFF and this may resolve your problems. Also, USB on a computer as someone else suggested, doesn't put out as much current as the wall charger and if you are trying to charge from USB you should at least set it to"Charge only" mode on USB. Better still, power it of before plugging in or after plugging in hit the power button and select "Power off".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

huskur

Reaction score
Does anyone one know why they do this? I set up a bunch of smart actions this morning, which I think might have caused the crash. One of the actions I set was to increase volume to to 100% when I get home. Nothing started my phone, i tried like everything...every button. So I decided my maybe I had to leave this zone and enter a new one so the smart actions would kick in. No dice. But after spamming the volume and power for like 5 minutes, it booted up. I am pretty sure I held the Increase volume and power button, simultaneously. I dont know what the hell it is...but this is my second phone...i got it yesterday. **** this im buying an iphone...

Good luck with the iPhone! I have been down that road before. Droid>iPhone

Had droid from inception day. Decided to see what the hype on the iPhone was. After 2 months....c-ya iPhone!

Last edited by a moderator:

ultra09hd

Reaction score
im completely okay with getting a new droid razr if it wont turn on which im okay with. the thing im worried about most is if it will delete all of my data and contacts and things like that? next is if i dont have insurance on it yet, will that be a problem? because technically i didnt really destroy it or it got stolen the thing just shut off on me.

Warranty will cover it