D2 Gingerbread update no longer lets my phone CHARGE, battery dead in 1hr

dranch

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, First post on the droidforums here. My Verizon Droid2 (non-rooted) was just upgraded to the new GingerBread OS and now: - ** The phone WON'T charge at all! It says it's charging but the battery percentage doesn't increase (even overnight!). This leaves the side "white" LED charging light on and I wonder if that's dangerous. I have to power it down then plug it in to get it truly charge the battery** - The backside gets very HOT (it seem the "com.motorola.service.ma" (truncated name) process is hammering the CPU (Settings --> Battery & Data Manager --> Battery Usage), I cannot fully expand that string to see what it is. I can drop to the shell but I can't sift through the output of say "ps | more" or "ps | grep service" as I always get "permission denied" errors. - This 100% CPU process chews through it's 100% battery in about an hour. I can't force stop that it nor can "Open Advanced Task Killer" kill it On a lark, I put the phone in airplane mode and now noticed that it isn't getting hot. I suppose that's good but that doesn't make this a very good phone without a wireless connection! New Gingerbread OS: System version: 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US Android version: 2.2.3 Other annoying changes (any recommendations to RESTORE these items): - Initial "dot" lock screen was swapped out for a numeric PIN unlock system. Is the Dot auth system gone? Cant' find it - New color scheme - very dark, I'm not a fan - Imo IM app auto-starts now though it never did before (disabled to start too) upon reboot - initial locked screen no longer shows the % of battery charge - On two screens to the left of the main screen where you can disable the Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, and Airplane mode, it shows "Problem loading widget" though there isn't any widget on that page This is a very new update and some older posts found via Google, etc. talk about the phone doing massive updates to it's contacts calendar to add in new pictures from Facebook, etc. This could be a one time thing but that does NOT excuse not being able to charge! Help! --David

OP
D

dranch

Reaction score
Just as an update, the phone eventually got past whatever was creating the 100% CPU issue. With the CPU returning to idle, the phone now can again charge it's batteries. The Gingerbread update does seem to have improved the following:
  • longer battery life
  • When sending DTMF phones while on a call are now much more responsiveThe fluidity of swiping from one screen (left or right) to the next is smoother
The rest of the issues remain though and to me, the upgrade is generally a minor improvement in some areas and slightly annoying in others.