Droid 4 With CWM Rom Manager and Safe Strap

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Hacks' started by Hooks405, Feb 12, 2012.

1. *86eyerok*

*86eyerok* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear that man. I hope people will learn from my mistake of flashing the nandroid backup and wait to be able to flash the stock rom first before attempting this.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

2. tdpolo26

tdpolo26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    your second d4 bricked tooo.... aghh that stinks..... i wonder if there is something in the bootloader doing this... i am def not going to mess with it now for a while.

#26 tdpolo26, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. *86eyerok*

*86eyerok* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh man! Second one? It hurt doing it the first time. There is no way I could do it a second time, ain't worth it to me.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

4. tdpolo26

tdpolo26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    motorola reads this forum and news about the vulnerabilities i wonder if they are starting to catch on

5. orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I read thelink and it says safestrap is based on clockwork, so maybe your additional installation of cw is causing the problem? I'm trying to figure out where you guys went wrong. The op didn't mention installing cw, maybe since its based on cw he referred to it as that. I remember reading that if you use safestrap you cannot have another type of recovery program on your phone.

6. Frio500

Frio500 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I installed safestrap last night, And I thought I'd share some of my random stupidly while I threw caution into the wind and messed around with it.

After getting into the recovery I made a nandroid backup while safe mode was disabled. After that I decided to enable it (whats the worse that can happen right?)

So I went ahead and enabled it, and restarted my phone. Found that my stock rom wasn't there anymore. Which makes sense.. Since It's either being bypassed or copied away to another location. (If only I knew that at the time.) After freaking out for about an hour trying to figure out how I broke my phone by enabling safe mode I learned that all I did was move it so I could install my own rom while keeping stock safe. Neat, but I wasn't sure how to reverse the effects. Restoring my nandroid backup proved a waste of time, I ended to going to the advanced settings and disabling safestrap, which completely removed everything, and when I restarted my phone my stock rom loaded unaware that it was previously lost into the abyss.

7. orangechoochoo

Ratings:
    +12
    that's how safestrap works. Safemode in safestrap boots into whatever custom rom you install, if none is present it doesn't know what to do so you get a black screen.

Turning off safemode/disabling safestrap loads your stock rom.

So the terminology may be unfamiliar. Safemode= boot into custom rom while your stock rom is "safe", not safe as in you are safe because you're back to the stock rom. Safemode off/disabling safestrap boots the stock rom.

In this type of system it seems like a backup is unecessary since booting into a custom rom keeps your stock rom safe and to get back to stock you have to be out of safemode or have safestrap disabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be my understanding.

8. Hooks405

Hooks405 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats how its supposed to work, after you enabled safe system the recovery still booted the same way correct? So you had the option to disable it and it went back to stock rooted?

9. orangechoochoo

Ratings:
    +12
    I didn't do it, this is what I gather from reading posts on Hash's website.

Safemode does not load recovery, it loads a custom rom. I'm not sure if recovery is saved as a zip, maybe that's why you can't install recovery in safemode.

10. Hooks405

Hooks405 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I toggled safe system and it said backing up, it completed successfully and booted to a black screen cause we have no rom to install. I then did a hard reboot and disabled safe system and rebooted to my stock root with no recovery i then reinstalled recovery and am awaiting a rom.

11. orangechoochoo

Ratings:
    +12
    Now the hard part is waiting for a rom :)

12. Hooks405

Hooks405 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems like enabling safe system changes the folder the phone boots from and leaves original stock root untouched when you disable safe system it removes the recovery and boots like it should

Search tags for this page
cwm droid 4
cwm for droid 4
cwm on droid 4
droid 4 cwm

droid 4 rom manager

droid 4 roms

rom manager droid 4

rom manager for droid 4
rom manager safestrap
safestrap vs rom manager