Droid 3 SIM unlock discussion

leobg

Reaction score
I decided to open up this thread since D3 is a global phone that sports 850/1900/2100MHz WCDMA and quad band GSM support for outside USA GSM/WCDMA carriers.
Much like Droid 2 Global it likely has the US carriers banned. Since we know how bad the situation with Droid 2 Global was with Verizon custom SIM locked handsets, I believe this thread will be useful for people who plan to use the phone outside US on a GSM/UTMS carrier.

I totally like the specs of D3 and seriously consider upgrading my D2G. For use in Canada primarily.

I, and I believe, quite a few others, will highly appreciate any information regarding the ways to SIM unlock the phone for use with other (non-US) carriers.

dancingcrab

Reaction score
I am going to the UK on 19th, and hope to have my new D3 (arriving Monday) unlocked by then so I can stick my pay-as-you-go SIM in. My understanding is that I should call the VZW Global Travel Program team on (800) 711-8300 and request a code. Can anyone confirm this?

This is my second year using this line, no late bills, and the primary line has existed for over six years.

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Verizon global support will most certainly be able to unlock the phone if the account criteria is met.

It's more interesting to know if 3rd party unlockers will be able to generate unlock codes, so people with prepaid verizon accounts or no verizon accounts at all will be able to unlock the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

alext77

Reaction score
Got my D3 yesterday morning, and tried calling in the afternoon. Verizon wireless global "technical support" does not have the procedure written up to unlock this phone for 3rd party SIM use yet.

She encouraged me to call back closer to, or after the general release date, and they would probably have the procedure then. I suspect the procedure relates to the generation of the unlock code on their end, since I put my Virgin Mobile UK SIM in, and it prompts me for a SIM unlock code after turning it on.

Just for smiles, I put my phone's IMEI # and details in to one of those "we'll get you an unlock code in 24 hours guaranteed or we'll give you your $8 back" websites. We'll see how smart they are.

Oh well. FWIW I've had a Verizon Wireless account in good standing since the days it was called Bell Atlantic Mobile ;-) I too am also headed to LHR - but on the 20th from ATL.

I am going to the UK on 19th, and hope to have my new D3 (arriving Monday) unlocked by then so I can stick my pay-as-you-go SIM in. My understanding is that I should call the VZW Global Travel Program team on (800) 711-8300 and request a code. Can anyone confirm this?

This is my second year using this line, no late bills, and the primary line has existed for over six years.

dancingcrab

Reaction score
Got my D3 yesterday morning, and tried calling in the afternoon. Verizon wireless global "technical support" does not have the procedure written up to unlock this phone for 3rd party SIM use yet.

She encouraged me to call back closer to, or after the general release date, and they would probably have the procedure then. I suspect the procedure relates to the generation of the unlock code on their end, since I put my Virgin Mobile UK SIM in, and it prompts me for a SIM unlock code after turning it on.

Just for smiles, I put my phone's IMEI # and details in to one of those "we'll get you an unlock code in 24 hours guaranteed or we'll give you your $8 back" websites. We'll see how smart they are.

Oh well. FWIW I've had a Verizon Wireless account in good standing since the days it was called Bell Atlantic Mobile ;-) I too am also headed to LHR - but on the 20th from ATL.

Small world - I just moved to SF from ATL! And I'll be getting into the UK on 20th.

Please keep us updated regarding the SIM unlock - thanks!

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
... especially the $8 website! Thanks

alext77

Reaction score
Just got an email from the website....unable to generate an unlock code for you, although this model is typically un-lockable.....we are refunding your $8 and will send you the unlock code with our compliments as soon as we can generate it.

May I request everyone that gets a Droid 3 call the Verizon Global Traveler Desk and request a SIM unlock code when they get their new phones? Just want to make sure that this stays on their radar in whatever service desk system they track these calls in.

... especially the $8 website! Thanks

dancingcrab

Reaction score
May I request everyone that gets a Droid 3 call the Verizon Global Traveler Desk and request a SIM unlock code when they get their new phones? Just want to make sure that this stays on their radar in whatever service desk system they track these calls in.

Will do.

10char

DroidXY

Reaction score
Hey,
if I buy the phone at full retail price without contract, is it then locked for sim cards as well? I cant find this information anywhere.
I'm thinking about buying it and take it home to europa. Thats why im asking.

dancingcrab

Reaction score
SIM unlocked! Just call the global team. The lady I had, who was great, had to talk to her supervisor to get access to unreleased Moto codes, but they can do it.

Very happy with this phone :-D

alext77

Reaction score
Same here! SIM unlock codes have been loaded in the Verizon system for those customers that qualify.

However, my two foreign SIMS failed to find a network (both work properly on my other unlocked phones while in the USA - they both roam on T-mobile's network). Does Verizon typically program their phones NOT to use the 850 and 1900 Mhz bands?

edit: NM, apparently this is done via a separate mechanism which specifically disbars US GSM carriers using an MCC list (Mobile Country Code). Same story as the Droid 2 Global. 850 and 1900 Mhz frequencies DO work OUTSIDE of the United States ;-)

Last edited:

Raptor007

Reaction score
What is required to qualify. My phone was a full retail purchase so I should be able to, right?

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
What is required to qualify. My phone was a full retail purchase so I should be able to, right?

You need to be Verizon post paid customer with account in a good standing (no late payments/etc) for the past 6 months. You are allowed to get unlock code for one device every 12 months. It doesn't matter how did you pay for your phone. If you are not current Verizon customer on postpaid account, you are not eligible to receive unlock code.

OP
L

leobg

Reaction score
Hey,
if I buy the phone at full retail price without contract, is it then locked for sim cards as well? I cant find this information anywhere.
I'm thinking about buying it and take it home to europa. Thats why im asking.

It will be locked - yes. It doesn't matter you pay full retail price. You will have to unlock it before you can use it with foreign SIM card.