GSM compatability question for Droid 4.

interestedindroid4

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing Droid 4 from Verizon wireless, as I love the phone. I have been getting mixed answers from Verizon wireless stores in regards with its GSM compatibility. I travel a lot, so I find myself overseas for 3 or 4 months at a time, for work related assignments. I understand that its a quad band phone and will work with all foreign GSM voice providers, and 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100Mhz 3G bands. Where I travel, it is mostly the 2100Mhz 3G band. I'm not really interested in the 4G aspect of the phone.

I have the following questions, I understand the phone works with foreign sim cards, but when I insert as US AT&T or T-mobile sim card, will the phone work on the GSM network in the US?

If not, I'm assuming it can be unlocked to do so, if I ask a Verizon wireless customer in good standing, who has been with the company for more than 6 months to request an unlock code by adding the device to his service.

I use primarily GSM networks, so I'm not really interested in service from Verizon, just really love the phone.

So basically, is the phone fully unlocked from Verizon, or does it not work with US GSM carriers?

I'm talking about the latest Jellybean updated Droid 4. Verizon sales clerks have no been what I can call helpful.

Thanks guys.

UPDATE: Just talked to another sales rep, and was told I can't even use a foreign sim card, and the phone is not unlockable. I dont even think they know what they are selling.

Mike253

Reaction score
..if you have Ice Cream Sandwich and above for firmware, you should be good.

I have JB on my Droid 4 and I can try out a friends ATT sim card if you wish.

GigaJake

Reaction score
The Droid 4 is locked from using US GSM networks, so AT&T, T-Mobile, and such won't work without additional hacking. International GSM networks will work automatically on ICS/JB.

I'm not a GSM user so I don't have the full scoop, but XDA seemed to have more information so the best I can do is direct you there: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1938246

Never trust a Verizon employee, you're better off getting more reliable information from a forum like this. Goodluck.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2