Droid 2 - were my expectations too high?

paulp

Reaction score
I am asking myself if my expectations were too high for D2. I am switching from an old crappy blackberry and was expecting to be blown away by this thing, but so far I have issues.

Multitasking
I am not sure if my phone is buggy or what not, but multitasking is just not smooth. Browsing and listening to music seems to be asking for too much with D2. Music tends to interrupt when you transition from the browser to the music player or load new websites. I didn't expect that to happen with a fast cpu and lots of ram.

Listening to music
When I listen to music, the overall performance is just poor. Often the music player screen freezes and doesn't let me do anything (I can't even pause or go back to the home screen). Also when the screen locks out, music tends to skip when you unlock it.

Browser
Full site browsing experience is not what expected. Some sites just slow down and often stop responding.

I find myself resetting the device at least 2 times a day when I use it heavily. I purchased a snap on case (body glove), which I had to return since taking it off and on every time I have to take the battery out is a process.

There is a bunch of things that I love about D2, but the negatives seem to outweight the positives.

I don't know, did I expect too much?

Thanks

pool_shark

Reaction score
I am asking myself if my expectations were too high for D2. I am switching from an old crappy blackberry and was expecting to be blown away by this thing, but so far I have issues.

Multitasking
I am not sure if my phone is buggy or what not, but multitasking is just not smooth. Browsing and listening to music seems to be asking for too much with D2. Music tends to interrupt when you transition from the browser to the music player or load new websites. I didn't expect that to happen with a fast cpu and lots of ram.

Listening to music
When I listen to music, the overall performance is just poor. Often the music player screen freezes and doesn't let me do anything (I can't even pause or go back to the home screen). Also when the screen locks out, music tends to skip when you unlock it.

Browser
Full site browsing experience is not what expected. Some sites just slow down and often stop responding.

I find myself resetting the device at least 2 times a day when I use it heavily. I purchased a snap on case (body glove), which I had to return since taking it off and on every time I have to take the battery out is a process.

There is a bunch of things that I love about D2, but the negatives seem to outweight the positives.

Thanks

I wouldn't say your expectations were too high. You have every right to want a device that does everything you want flawlessly. That doesn't mean it's the case.

There are a lot of things I really like about it, but there are also things that it can't do out of the box that my old windows mobile device could do.
I miss the voice command app reading my text messages to me, I miss syncing my outlook notes, tasks, and calendar, I had to pay $14 for documents to go because quick office didn't allow me to delete rows in excel, I had to create a gmail account because the default email app doesn't delete emails from my ISP's server, I miss having all of the info I want right on my single home screen instead of having to navigate.

Unfortunately windows mobile dropped the ball and I needed a new device. I have to make the best of my situation.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Multitasking

Listening to music

Browser

Thanks

First, how long have you had it and have you turned it off at all? A simple reset probably will cure a lot of what's bothering you.

Are you running a task killer or any virus protection? If so, remove that.

If that's not the case then try a factory data reset. My guess is you have an app of some sorts that causing you some issues.

FHATDAWUCK

Reaction score
Give it some time I went from blackberry to d2 a couple weeks ago and things were awkward at first. Can't imagine going back now to previous generation phones. These new pocket laptops are the wave of the future and its only gonna get better.

Reaction score

Multitasking

Listening to music

Browser

Thanks

I took mine back. Music player was freezing on me, and there were a lot of bugs with Exchange synching.

Try Launcherpro to help with overall smoothness....

I'm waiting on an X. Found I really don't need a keyboard, as I don't text much these days.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
not asking much at all maybe you got a bad phone my first d1 bricked by the first weekend and I didn't do anything to it...I'm usually browsing the web or on tapatalk and listening to music w the occasional text with no issues

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
My music player also freezes a lot, I am suspecting is the mirco sd card that came with it. I going to get a new fast card and see will that make any difference.

OP
P

paulp

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I will try and see if I can replicate some of my issues on aother phone at a verizon store, and maybe on the X as well. Thanks.

jdon285

Reaction score
My music player also freezes a lot, I am suspecting is the mirco sd card that came with it. I going to get a new fast card and see will that make any difference.

I took my 16gb from my Droid 1 and put it in my Droid 2, it really helped with the music and some other apps. I gave my son the D1 with the new 8gb sd card and now he is having a few very minor issues.
I think it's a safe bet the sd card is lagging the phone down some or it's a weird coincidence.

feyvorite

Reaction score

What kind of card would you get that would be fast?

eternalXTC

Reaction score
I use launcher pro and so far my droid 2 experience has been fantastic and I'm coming from a Evo

SangYuP

Reaction score
I use launcher pro and so far my droid 2 experience has been fantastic and I'm coming from a Evo

I am using launcher pro plus as well and while it does make it nicer, it noticeably slows down my phone a lot. It just feels sluggish and there are still some bugs that need to be worked out.

eternalXTC

Reaction score

I am using launcher pro plus as well and while it does make it nicer, it noticeably slows down my phone a lot. It just feels sluggish and there are still some bugs that need to be worked out.

Maybe you got a dud my phone has only needed to be restarted once and that was due to installing some malacious apps. If I were you I would try to get a exchange.

jdon285

Reaction score
If you haven't already try reverting back to the stock launcher and remove all of the Widgets, it looms like they installed every widget possible on the stock launcher and might explain why so ma y processes and apps are running in the background when you're not using them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk