Droid 2 Software for laptop?

mindytyson3

Reaction score
is there a software to put on my laptop for the droid 2? i have a blackberry pearl and i downloaded the blackberry desktop manager for it on to my desktop of my laptop so didn't know if there was something like that for the droid 2. thanks.

lee_pedro

Reaction score
I too am wondering about this....

When I plug into my computer it installs a few things and launches Motoconnect. Then, the phone shows up as a set up CD? Does it do all of that to get you to the driver you need to install? There are two End User drivers in the folder but I have not tried installing either of them yet. I am assuming that once you get the right driver installed that the phone shows up strictly as a USB storage device if you have it set to that?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is the moto connect software....never used or needed it with my Droid or X.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol, it's always fun converting from a Blackberry to a Droid.

Nope, no desktop software. Well, how do I back up?

It's a google phone so your contacts are backed up in your gmail account. You probably want to utilize gmail now as much as possible. If not you can still use other mail but your contacts are always in gmail.

Same thing with calendar. It's backed up by Google Calendar. Purchased apps are also backed up by Google, they will always be in the download section of the Market.

Now you might want to consider a good back up for your unpaid apps as Google doesn't back up free apps. Those you would have to reinstall, I recommend MyBackupPro.

You're going to have to change the way you think about smart phones to be able to make the adjustment. There will be a learning curve so be prepaired for it.

This ain't no Blackberry. :)

lee_pedro

Reaction score
I was used to seeing my LG show up as a mass USB storage drive when I plugged it in. This phone shows up just like an installation CD would when I plug it in to my computer.

Do I just need to install one of the drivers in the folder? Or, will it not show up like I'm used to?

Thanks guys

lee_pedro

Reaction score
See pic for what I get when plugging into my computer.

**edit: sorry for the double posting there.

scoder

Reaction score
Verizon's USB modems do the same thing. Plug it in and a virtual CD drive shows up with drivers and installation software.

RemyL75

Reaction score
There is the moto connect software....never used or needed it with my Droid or X.

That's news to me. I never heard of a moto connect software. What does it do?

MotoConnect (I think this is the right name for it) lets you connect to your device VIA USB or WiFi and you can play music from your device, add/remove files from the MicroSD card, manage contacts, etc.

I know this software exists, because my wife's Devour has it and every time i plug it into my computer to charge it or add songs, the software web page pops up. I am just not sure of the name.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

That's news to me. I never heard of a moto connect software. What does it do?

MotoConnect (I think this is the right name for it) lets you connect to your device VIA USB or WiFi and you can play music from your device, add/remove files from the MicroSD card, manage contacts, etc.

I know this software exists, because my wife's Devour has it and every time i plug it into my computer to charge it or add songs, the software web page pops up. I am just not sure of the name.

But it's not like Desktop Manager where it backs up your data. Sounds like an interesting tool. I'm kind of amazed I never heard about it.

RemyL75

Reaction score
MotoConnect is just a driver installation/updating program for the PC.

The previous poster is thinking of MotoPortal or something like that. It comes with the Milestone, also and helps manage music and contacts and some other things.

Yes, that's the name, Thank you scoder. Moto Phone Portal. Sorry about that.

The reason you haven't heard about it is because it's usually installed on earlier phones with MotoBlur (Cliq, Devour, Cliq XT, etc). As for your contacts, they are backed up in the gmail account you entered/created when you set up your phone.
As a redundant backup, I have a program called Google Calendar Sync. It syncs my contacts, calendar, etc with Outlook and from there I can back it up (just in case Google has a hiccup one day and I lose my information) or edit it. And any changes I make on one will reflect on the other. Do a google search for it if that interests you.

ShinySideUp

Reaction score
See pic for what I get when plugging into my computer.

**edit: sorry for the double posting there.

Hey! I get the same thing. And then my laptop does an involuntary hard reboot.

I posted elsewhere the details ... but I can't get the thing to play nice with my laptop.

HELP!

OP
mindytyson3

mindytyson3

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your help! I wrote everything down! I am trying to learn everything I need to know before I get my Droid 2!