Tethering DROID 2 to laptop for internet access

peacemover

Reaction score
Is there a way to tether the DROID 2 to a laptop and use the droid's 3G or wifi to access the internet on a laptop?

If so, how would this be done?
Are there any security risks?
Browsing speed?

Thanks much!

cellu1

Reaction score
Have you searched "tether" on the market? Lots of options there.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

louy99

Reaction score
You can use pdanet off the market. I have used it and it works well. But your phone has to be connected to your laptop with the data cable

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

samiusmc

Reaction score
If you root the Droid 2, you can wifi tether it for free.

holmes6

Reaction score
The official option is to add wifi hotspot to your phone for $20/month
Other options may be against the terms of your contract

In Fission ROM you can use FRM to install "3g hotspot" and "tether patch". I've confirmed this works well and doesn't generate any charges from vzw. AFAIK you will not encounter any problems as long as your data usage isn't high, YMMV

Last edited:

sdmayhew

Reaction score
downloaded PDAnet and up and running in 10minutes

program rocks! gladly paid the $15.95 for the full version. This means I now have 2 Verizon modems in my house. will just have to watch how much data I use with it. :icon_ banana:dancedroid

Last edited:

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
program rocks! gladly paid the $15.95 for the full version. This means I now have 2 Verizon modems in my house. will just have to watch how much data I use with it. :icon_ banana:dancedroid

$16 for that? Holy cripes! You can get it free you know? Or way cheaper than $16. Gosh. As long as it works for you and satisfies you.

sdmayhew

Reaction score
yes I downloaded and installed the free version. the direct fee to PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android is $15.95 discounted from $25. When something works out of the box with support I am not shy about giving money to a company. especially a application that does not require hacks or special work arounds. pay it forward to the open source gods :)

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
True, you have a point. But every app I have has full resources and support. Every one of my apps were less than $5 or free. Haven't had an app that I needed to tweak and work around a problem.

OP
P

peacemover

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies. The basis for my question was that when I travel, I do not always have wifi access, unfortunately. I could get one of these wireless laptop cards, but the prices for the plans on those seems pretty outrageous, especially for the limited number of times where wifi isn't available.

My question, more specifically, was about using the 3G connection of the DROID 2 to provide internet connectivity to my laptop. I am still not clear as to whether this is possible and how it would best be done. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

sdmayhew

Reaction score
I download the pdanet app. installed it and was surfing the web using my Droid as a wireless modem within 30 minutes.
You will need your USB cable to tether your phone to your laptop

The speed will vary quite a bit. at home I was 300kb down and up. At a diff location I got 2gb down and 100kb up

macman4

Reaction score
Peacemover, I am wondering the same thing. My wife and I are driving to Fla. next week and would like access to the Internet on the way down.So if what sdmayhew says, download and install pdanet, hook are droids to the laptop, via the USB cable and have a modem so we can connect. Is this correct, and without any extra charges?

turnpike

Reaction score
another thing that i do for protection is i use PDA.net on my laptop that has windows 7..then i use connectify so i can password protect my wireless connection

N4UPD

Reaction score
Easytether pro is another good app and it works on non rooted droid 1 .Works great.