Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

chriskan

Reaction score
Of course, there was a mess up when I activated my SIM before I left - for some reason, it didn't take. Had to call Verizon Global Support on a colleague's global Blackberry to get it straightened out.
Any idea what the problem was? Was international roaming just not activated on your line?

When I phoned in to activate my SIM while back in the US, apparently, the SIM wasn't activated, only the international plan was turned on. I could see the foreign networks when I was in Amsterdam, but the phone wouldn't connect. A call to Global Support fixed the issue. I also signed up for the pro-rated global data plan. So, for about $15, I get a week worth of unlimted data access whle oversees.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

chriskan

Reaction score
But, bottom line, the Droid 2 Global can connect to foreign networks using Verizon's SIM card.

Good to know that a Verizon SIM will work on foreign networks.

Chriskan: If you get a chance to unlock your phone while overseas and please try it with a foreign SIM, it would help a lot of people, including myself, not living in the US but want this phone. Thanks in advance.

On that note, has any one got a foreign SIM working on an unlocked D2G yet?

I'll try. I should be able to get the phone unlocked, as I've been using a global non-smart phone for 2 years now, so my account is in good standing. I'll also try and pick up a foreign SIM card to try it out and will report back.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

r314bd

Reaction score
I'll try. I should be able to get the phone unlocked, as I've been using a global non-smart phone for 2 years now, so my account is in good standing. I'll also try and pick up a foreign SIM card to try it out and will report back.
No worries if you can't. After looking through the user guide it seems that VZW has restricted use of the 850/1900 MHz GSM/UMTS bands (EDIT: in the USA only), even though the device has the hardware to support them.

Hopefully someone can figure out a workaround

Last edited:

craigg

Reaction score
My guess is that there is more to the unlocking then just entering the sim unlock code. I can't see them advertising the D2 Global as a quad band global phone yet they are locking out 850/1900MHz roaming. While those two frequencies are primarily used in the USA they are also used in Canada, South America, and parts of Australia. They may be used in other areas too that I'm not aware of. I see no practical reason for VZW to restrict the radios of a global phone and I truly hope that they step up to the plate soon with a solution to this issue.

craigg

Reaction score
While I can live with roaming on 900 / 1800 assuming it works with any SIM card, I do hope they correct this issue to enable the phone for all bands. Legally they are opening themselves up to litigation by advertising the phone as a quad band global phone.

It's issues like this that make me wish that the carriers would get out of the phone business and companies like Motorola would just sell unlocked, unbranded, non crippled phones at a non subsidized price.

mk_cn

Reaction score
Anyone going abroad with a SIM unlocked Droid 2 Global soon?

We haven't been able to determine whether the Droid 2 Global will actually work with other GSM networks since in the USA no GSM networks appear as available after running a network scan.

It's possible that VZW somehow has a carrier lock in the USA in spite of the SIM being unlocked, but that it will still work on foreign GSM networks.

I'm not going abroad for about a month but if anyone has the opportunity to test this abroad for us sooner that would be awesome.

Hope it will be simple. Buy a new Droid 2 Global, working aboard, no need to unlock and the foreign SIM card can just work.

CellZealot

Reaction score
I just got one of these...beautiful phone and a very powerful device.

We'll have a few things we may be pulling out of our hat for this phone as well as the Droid Pro...some of which will very quickly breach the rules of this forum to discuss.

;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then just discuss it with me CZ..... J/k.

ddckylec

Reaction score
I've been in hong kong working off the gsm network called"3".

Droid 2 global workslike a charm with their sim card.also used pccw gsm network, it also worked. Just have to manually your in the apn setting depending on the sim network you use.

I had to unlock the sim with a code from verizon.

webcenter

Reaction score
I've been in hong kong working off the gsm network called"3".

Droid 2 global workslike a charm with their sim card.also used pccw gsm network, it also worked. Just have to manually your in the apn setting depending on the sim network you use.

I had to unlock the sim with a code from verizon.

Does mms working perfectly on 3 hongkong & pcc gsm network? I wonder it. Hehe.

Sent from my Desire HD using DroidForums App

calikool

Reaction score
does anyone know if the droid 2 global would work if you replace the verizon sim with a t-mobile or at&t sim?

OP
S

Soucouant61

Reaction score
does anyone know if the droid 2 global would work if you replace the verizon sim with a t-mobile or at&t sim?

People have said that Verizion has somehow blocked T-Mobile and AT&T from working on the phone. However, word is that the Droid community is working on a hack to break this.