Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

rjorge3

Reaction score
Check which operator has bettero coverage/prices.

As for switching between the Verizon and the foreign sim in the phone - all you need to do is to switch from CDMA to GSM/UTMS in the wireless settings menu. It will alter between the two accounts.
Of course if you use Verizon's SIM - it will always use your verizon account and number (but with roaming fees)
Oh I see, most likely I will be using an Orange SIM which is far cheaper than the roaming charges if I keep the Verizon SIM, and they will asign a new local number while I am in the Dominican Republic.

So when I come back to the state, you are indicating that all I have to do is remove the Orange SIM and just adjust the CDMA to GSM/UTMS settings, right?

leobg

Reaction score
You can leave the sim inside. As long as radio is set to cdma, gsm radio as well as the sim are dormant. And when radio is in CDMA mode - phone is Verizon. When in GSM mode - phone is whatever SIM in it is.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Last edited:

Soladzur

Reaction score
Hi.

I plan to use D2 global in local GSM and CDMA networks outside of US?
GSM: it's not accepting local sim cards, asking for "Sim unlock code". CDMA: didn't try still.

Does this mean it's locked? Is there a solution to unlock it? Will it help it to use locally?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hi.

GSM: it's not accepting local sim cards, asking for "Sim unlock code". CDMA: didn't try still.

Does this mean it's locked? Is there a solution to unlock it? Will it help it to use locally?

From what I understand it needs to be unlocked while in the US.

leobg

Reaction score
No - not necessary to be in US. I unlocked mine with code purchased on the Internet while outside US. It is just a matter will code work or not.

Soladzur

Reaction score
This unlocking code that is being offered by some sites. It unlocks only GSM for usage with every operator over the world?

what about CDMA? Is there any limitation to change CDMA operator?

No it was never activated in Verizon.

camus11

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Italian and I've bought a Droid 2 Global unlocked from U.S.
Phone works well with my Italian H3g SIM, also in HSPA network, I've only to set APN manually the first time.
I have a question: if I root the phone will I lose unlock procedure?

zero7404

Reaction score
unsure about the cdma portion of the phone, but if the device is not defective, it should be unlockable with the correct code. i am a bit concerned about why there are 2 codes issued per device. it should really be just one code.

so if theres nothing wrong with the phone, and the code is known, then the phone can be unlocked outside the US.

but from what i hear about the d2g and dpro, some cannot be unlocked at all ... as was the case with my first one. those who buy it without verizon service should get it unlocked within 30 days, otherwise return it and buy one thats already been unlocked.

sent via wireless device

rweb

Reaction score
No, this are completely different actions, no dependancy.
I rooted mine after unlocking it, no problem at all.

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
Hi.

You need to get the SIM unlock code from VZW. However having that will not unlock GSM mode for use in the states tho. It will only do you good for when you put a foreign SIM in it outside the states.

Soladzur

Reaction score
You need to get the SIM unlock code from VZW. However having that will not unlock GSM mode for use in the states tho. It will only do you good for when you put a foreign SIM in it outside the states.

Thank you. As I will not use it in US - that's ok. I believe buying unlock code on some website will do the same for the GSM mode.

What about CDMA module. Did anybody try to flash D2G to work in another CDMA network in another country? Does it have any kind of lock for CDMA as well?

zero7404

Reaction score

after the phone was unlocked at the store, i did a factory data reset, then rooted. that did not affect the sim unlock, so i am guessing its a one-time, permanent unlock .... ?

i'd like to make sure this is the case ... if its not, i should avoid loading a different rom on the phone in the future ...

camus11

Reaction score

after the phone was unlocked at the store, i did a factory data reset, then rooted. that did not affect the sim unlock, so i am guessing its a one-time, permanent unlock .... ?

i'd like to make sure this is the case ... if its not, i should avoid loading a different rom on the phone in the future ...
This is interesting, so doing a factory data reset, rooting and installing a custom rom doesn't affect sim unlock?

zero7404

Reaction score

This is interesting, so doing a factory data reset, rooting and installing a custom rom doesn't affect sim unlock?

i didn't say i installed a custom rom, just reset and rooting -- rooting is not adding or removing or modifying the rom. it's just granting superuser permission, just like with a linux OS or Windows Admin priviledge

leobg

Reaction score
Radio unlock is not related to rom flashing/rooting/etc. Once radio is unlocked it stays that way.
Some ROM's may lack SIM pin code unlock feature, but this is not the same as SIM locking/operator locking.