Droid 2 bricked, tried everything, hardware issue?

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
So I bought a used Droid 2 on eBay which according to the seller had "Android Software Issues". The pics of the bootloader screen looked like an easy fix for me, since I've been bricked on my Droid X several times and been through the RSD flashing process a number of times. When the phone came in, I went through the standard flashing process to flash a clean full SBF, but can't get past the bootloader screen that says:

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Now, as I was doing a battery pull between one of the many flash attempts, I noticed that the water indicator sticker was red, meaning that the unit had been exposed to water. Can it be possible that the hardware is bad?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Thanks Hook. I think I tried that before, but I'm going to do it again step by step. I'll let you know what happens.

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Ok, did the TBH Triple Threat, and it got rid of the MEM_MAP Blank Service Req'd message. Now it's back to the bootloader with the following message:

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode: USB

RSD takes the phone through the 99% mark, and the programming seems sucessful, but after it goes to the M boot screen, it goes back to the bootloader. RSD gives the following error in it's error log file:

ERROR: Flash failure: Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode (Error Code: be),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=No Direction, Command Value=0, Code Group Number=257
File: D:\GitProjects\hdt_windows_flash\flash\code\flashdll\FlashHdlr.cpp
Device ID: 0

I'm going to try a battery pull and reflash....but it seems like I've done that a thousand times already. Thanks for any help you can give!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a Milestone 2?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score

To tell you the truth, I don't know. Bought it used on eBay, didn't come in box. Didn't think about it possibly being a different build. Milestone 2 is the Global one, right? I'll try to find some Milestone SBF stuff...

Thanks, and good observation!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

To tell you the truth, I don't know. Bought it used on eBay, didn't come in box. Didn't think about it possibly being a different build. Milestone 2 is the Global one, right? I'll try to find some Milestone SBF stuff...

The Milestone 2 has the large screen like the X?

Anyway if it is a Milestone 2 you still can't use it with Verizon.

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score

Looked up on Moto's site, and the Milestone is apparently the same as the Droid 2. That's what I was thinking but now I'm not so sure...they don't list a Droid 2 on there. Maybe that's just the Verizon name for it?

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score

Ok it's definitely not the Global. Still plugging along here. Thinking more and more it's a hardware issue. Any of you know if the hardware can make this happen?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sorry for the delay in getting to you. I haven't had much free time lately.

What VERSION is listed on the bootloader? :) That might help us diagnose what you need to have.

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting to you. I haven't had much free time lately.

What VERSION is listed on the bootloader? :) That might help us diagnose what you need to have.

I've tried both the 2.35 and the 2.37 bootloaders.

Could it be hardware related? I've tried everything man. Every combination of bootloaders and sbfs. I've read where others who had water damage had similar problems. I'm wondering if that could be the problem here.

Thanks for any help you can give.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
So you have a regular D2. If it's been immersed and you're having these problems then you most likely have a ruined device. I hope you didn't pay much for it because about the only thing it's good for right now is parts. :(

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Before we give up completely, however, what version of RSD Lite are you using? What version of Windows are you flashing from?

That BP error is usually a USB fault. But if you've been using RSD Lite successfully on another phone and you keep getting those errors, I'm giving it at least an 80% chance of being bricked.

OP
M

msjohnson2868

Reaction score
Before we give up completely, however, what version of RSD Lite are you using? What version of Windows are you flashing from?

That BP error is usually a USB fault. But if you've been using RSD Lite successfully on another phone and you keep getting those errors, I'm giving it at least an 80% chance of being bricked.

I'm going to try flashing from another computer before it's parts. That's what I was thinking...that the computer wasn't hooking back up to the phone after its reboot. I have flashed my Droid X a number of tomes from this computer with no issues.

As for the version of RSD Lite, I think ive tried them all. 4.7 4.8 4.9, patched, unpatched, all of them. I can get it to say software update successful, but when it goes to reboot, I see the moto logo, then back to the bootloader, and the BP fail error.

Is the D2 flash process any different thn the DX? As far as I've read it seems to be the same process. Maybe I'm going wrong there. ???