Driving and texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets get this back on topic - driving and texting. This is a serious issue.

PhDCow

Reaction score
I believe in personal choice. However, when your choices adversely impact others, the choices need to be limited. It's the cost of living in a society, not a vacuum.

Interestingly, in NY, the laws like these cannot be enforced as the primary offense. If you're stopped.for something else, then the law is enforced.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
They need laws for this, especially because of stupid ass teenagers who think the world can't hurt them.
Let's not kid ourselves. Teenagers may be more likely to take such risks but I've had countless near misses and they have not all been with teenagers. Age, gender, race -- none of it matters. People from all groups are guilty of it. Idiocy and self-centered-ness know no restrictions.

I'm not even sure that laws are needed. Enforcement is actually what is needed. Unsafe driving is unsafe driving no matter what it is that one is specifically doing at the time.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
They need laws for this, especially because of stupid ass teenagers who think the world can't hurt them.
Let's not kid ourselves. Teenagers may be more likely to take such risks but I've had countless near misses and they have not all been with teenagers. Age, gender, race -- none of it matters. People from all groups are guilty of it. Idiocy and self-centered-ness know no restrictions.

I'm not even sure that laws are needed. Enforcement is actually what is needed. Unsafe driving is unsafe driving no matter what it is that one is specifically doing at the time.

Age and gender has been shown to matter... why do u think a single, male, under 25yo pays more insurance than any other group? Because their age, gender and marital status makes them a bigger risk

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
Kentucky has enforced the "No texting and drive" law like a month ago. The law states that: All ages are not to be texting while Driving. People under the age of 18 are not to be talking on a cellphone. I think that is a good law in my book.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
so tell me how you can tell I'm texting when it's in my lap.... looks no different than thumbing through my droid tunes....

Limo tint and knee driving is all this is encouraging... for the win....

KevinJ

Reaction score
Age and gender has been shown to matter... why do u think a single, male, under 25yo pays more insurance than any other group? Because their age, gender and marital status makes them a bigger risk
I agree. Well, not about the marital status part (as I'm single).

When I was a teenager, I was a lot more reckless than I am now. Speeding, drag racing, etc.

But, as the old saying goes, with age comes wisdom (for most people). Actually I can remember vividly waking up on my 18th birthday thinking "oh wow, now I'm responsible for everything I do." It was a sobering thought, and I pretty much toned down everything I did (and years later I'm so toned down everyone thinks I'm boring).

Not everyone grows up, but most people do, and become responsible adults.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I agree. Well, not about the marital status part (as I'm single).

When I was a teenager, I was a lot more reckless than I am now. Speeding, drag racing, etc.

But, as the old saying goes, with age comes wisdom (for most people). Actually I can remember vividly waking up on my 18th birthday thinking "oh wow, now I'm responsible for everything I do." It was a sobering thought, and I pretty much toned down everything I did (and years later I'm so toned down everyone thinks I'm boring).

Not everyone grows up, but most people do, and become responsible adults.

well, the only thing I think about the marital thing is you calm down when you have something waiting for you at home.... kind of a tether if you will... knowing that someone is relying on you to provide...whatever, does calm people down, you know.... may not be true for everyone, obviously, but statistically speaking, single-male-under 25-driving a red sports car = greatest risk from an insurance standpoint. add a speeding ticket or wreck to that and wowsers.....:icon_eek:

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
so tell me how you can tell I'm texting when it's in my lap.... looks no different than thumbing through my droid tunes....

commen sense is key if your eyes are in your lap they are not on the road.. which makes you a road hazard

KevinJ

Reaction score

The law in Michigan is that the cops will pull you over, and they will check your phone. If they don't find you've been texting, they will give you a ticket for something else that has to do with distracted driving.

They've got almost all the bases covered here. They're going to get you one way or another.

peterpressure

Reaction score

The law in Michigan is that the cops will pull you over, and they will check your phone. If they don't find you've been texting, they will give you a ticket for something else that has to do with distracted driving.

They've got almost all the bases covered here. They're going to get you one way or another.

I never understood why reckless driving laws did not already cover all of these new laws. If they have another law to charge u with breaking, why not just use that for texting?

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

I'm going to call BS on this one right here.... please to be posting where law says a cop is allowed to snoop your phone without a search warrant...

Diordna

Reaction score
Texting while driving is pure idiotic. I drive tractor/trailer on occasion when we have to move some of our heavy equipment from job site to job site. You simply do not understand how stupid some of these kids are.

I'm behind the wheel of 25,000 pound truck/trailer as it is. Now, add a CAT 950H loader to the trailer and that adds another 40,000 pounds

I'm driving down the freeway with 65,000 pounds and all day I see these morons swerving in the lanes, going ten under the speed limit, and slamming on their breaks because they didn't see a slow down all because they were busy texting.

With my 65,000 pound rig, if that person swerves into me or slams on their breaks in front of me going from 70 mph down to 30 mph and I can't stop or move in time...the odds are they're going to be seriously hurt or die. Even a rear ending...no car will stand a chance against that rig.

Now, imagine someone from the opposite direction swerving into my lane? They won't stand a chance. And to be completely frank, if I see a car coming fight for me when I'm behind that rig, I'm not going to be trying to swerve out of the way or nothing simply because if it's a head on crash against a car, odds are that I'll make it through the crash

However, if I try and swerve out of the way and I lose control, the odds of me getting hurt or killed sky rockets.

It's going to sound callus as hell, but I'd rather go home to my family that night rather than you so I'm doing everything I can to protect myself rather than you.

And what's sad...I'd probably walk away without a scratch from that wreck.

Oh, and keep in mind...65,000 pounds is considered a "light load." We still have another 15,000 pounds before we hit the legal limit of 80,000 lbs until we need a permit.

I see it everyday. Texting and driving. Just don't do it. I want to get home to my family and I'm sure you do as well.

EDIT: Here's pictures of what a typical rigs looks like.

One with a CASE 1121 loader on the back which is bit bigger than the size of a CAT 950. Keep in mind, the 950's are probably the smallest loaders we run and those alone weigh just over 40,000 lbs. This CASE is probably at 64,000 lbs.

lowboy.jpg

Here's one with a CAT 325 excavator. Also, the 325 in considered small. We typically don't run anything below a 330. Most common will be 345's and 365's.

CAT325LoadedB.jpg

I REALLY hope my examples put a little fear into you.

At least you know you're safe lol

Status
Not open for further replies.