Driving and texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I'm going to call BS on this one right here.... please to be posting where law says a cop is allowed to snoop your phone without a search warrant...
I will accede to your BS call, mainly because I am guilty of listening to the police talk about it. The actual law doesn't say anything about it. It just goes to prove my point that the cops don't even know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.

But can't they grab your phone under the "area of control" excuse they can use? If you get stopped for something, and they see something in the car (gun, contraband, drugs, etc) they can search the car without a warrant.

And when I made a comment earlier about the cops not having to follow the law? They don't...
Sec. 602b. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not read, manually type, or send a text message on a wireless 2-way communication device that is located in the person’s hand or in the person’s lap, including a wireless telephone used in cellular telephone service or personal communication service, while operating a motor vehicle that is moving on a highway or street in this state...

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an individual who is using a device described in subsection (1) to do any of the following:

(d) Carry out official duties as a police officer, law enforcement official, member of a paid or volunteer fire department, or operator of an emergency vehicle.
So "officials" get a free pass. They can text to their hearts' content.

Hmm... I wonder if I'm exempt when I'm out storm chasing/spotting for the Weather Service..... :)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I would find it a tough call to take my phone that I "was shuffling through my music" on, not tming someone. Its like if/when a cop asks to search my vehicle...the answer is always no, no matter if I'm guilty or not. Get a warrant.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
so tell me how you can tell I'm texting when it's in my lap.... looks no different than thumbing through my droid tunes....

Limo tint and knee driving is all this is encouraging... for the win....

commen sense is key if your eyes are in your lap they are not on the road.. which makes you a road hazard

I hear ya.... in fact, I hope you realize, that this law is actually doing the opposite of it's intent...

this is a classic case of a law 'sounding good' because "after all, it's all in the name of safety" however, common sense, as you say, says that the natural result of dropping the phone down to your lap is actually worse....

common sense says this law actually makes things un-safer (is that a word lol)

scf

Reaction score
Common sense is not all that common.

That's one hell of a video. Sobering.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i admit i text at stops when driving, but it doesn't make it right.

However, unlike most phones, we have the "voice-to-text". I may have some trouble with it sometimes, but it's the safest option I have if the text is important enough.

Just because we have such a great feature doesn't make it legal. Just keep the phone in your pocket or in the holder until you've arrived to point B. It's already been proven that texting while driving is worse than drunk driving, please everyone, be safe and don't endanger yourself and especially others on the road.

fbell

Reaction score
I live in Illinois and just had a young girl rear end me going 40+mph beacuse she was texting. No serious injuries but she totaled her car and did less than $300 damage to mine. The injuries could have been much worse. It's nice to have laws about texting & driving, but the police have to enforce them.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
But can't they grab your phone under the "area of control" excuse they can use? If you get stopped for something, and they see something in the car (gun, contraband, drugs, etc) they can search the car without a warrant.
)

BS on the Gun call for some...In VA it's legal to have a loaded handgun in plain view without a permit.....Same in PA with a permit. Just because I have a gun in my car or in my possession does not give an officer the right to search me or my vehicle without a warrant. Some of us are licensed to carry....

peterpressure

Reaction score
I live in Illinois and just had a young girl rear end me going 40+mph beacuse she was texting. No serious injuries but she totaled her car and did less than $300 damage to mine. The injuries could have been much worse. It's nice to have laws about texting & driving, but the police have to enforce them.

How do you enforce it? Should the cops have been in her car to tell her to stop? What about all the folks who text and drive and have never crashed, not even once. Should they be forced to stop?

Texting bans are unenforcable. We already have reckless driving laws for people swerving and not staying in lanes. Lets enforce those laws instead of making new specific stupid ones.

Let the cops keep the real crime off the streets, not thought crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.