Driving and texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
hook it is funny you said stand on front of a car lol i used to stand on my hands on a hood till a buddy pushed gas to fast and sent me thru his windshield lol

around when seatbelts wasnt so how many cc's is your walker lol just a j/k

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
When I took my driving test the examiner engaged me in conversation throughout. I was nervous but I figured a) he was just trying to put me at ease or b) it was part of the test and it would look bad if I was afraid to answer, so I did (didn't take my eyes off the road, though). When I got back to school everyone said "you shouldn't have talked, you failed"-- I passed (1st time). Concentration is relative.
I can't imagine texting while driving, though. Answering calls (Bluetooth), yes. Making them (when necessary), yes -- when the car isn't moving (till I get proper Bluetooth calling, at least). Talking to passengers? Always have.
But texting? Why?

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

You know a whole generation of us grew up without even seatbelt laws. Heck I use to stand on the front seat of the car, rode in the back of pick up trucks. Child seat? Never even heard of.

We survived. Does it occur to anyone that many of these laws are really made up not in the best interest of public safety but in the interest of the almighty dollar.

When I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet but I do so by choice, not because my state forces me to.

There are too many driving laws on the books these days. Laws that say it's OK to have a drink but don't go over .08. Well, one drink does that. Why not just make it plain illegal to drive while drinking?

Yup, "we" survived. That's why "we" are posting here. However, in 1955, the traffic fatality rate was was almost FIVE TIMES higher than it is today. Yup, those were the good old days.

And congratulations for wearing a helmet when you ride. Unfortunately, many of your fellow riders don't. Texas, for example, has experienced a 25% rise in motorcycle fatalities since repealing its helmet law in 1998. And that doesn't take into account the number of injured riders whose care I help pay for through my insurance rates. Other states have similar experiences.

Finally, it is "plain illegal" to drive while drinking. That, however, is different from drinking and THEN driving. Unlike texting or talking on a cell phone, the effect carries over even when you do it by the side of the road.

peterpressure

Reaction score
There should be a law preventing women from wearing tight clothing or short dresses as this is distracting too. A law to prevent cameras on top of traffic signals because now we got to look out for those too, even when we check our speed limit. Mater of fact, that speedometer thing is a distractions as well. I'd like to see a law that prevents giant signs dedicated to LeBron James.

So here's what I surmise some of you guys think:

1. Do not talk to passengers.

2. Do not touch the radio/stereo/bluetooth.

3. Don't look at the GPS

4. Eyes on the front and only briefly on mirrors.

5. No phone calls, hands free or otherwise.

You know a whole generation of us grew up without even seatbelt laws. Heck I use to stand on the front seat of the car, rode in the back of pick up trucks. Child seat? Never even heard of.

We survived. Does it occur to anyone that many of these laws are really made up not in the best interest of public safety but in the interest of the almighty dollar.

When I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet but I do so by choice, not because my state forces me to.

There are too many driving laws on the books these days. Laws that say it's OK to have a drink but don't go over .08. Well, one drink does that. Why not just make it plain illegal to drive while drinking?

I think this is probably going to get political here so I'll stop now. I know my state will never take away my right to use a phone with a hands free device and that's the way it should be.

Thank you for giving me a shimmering glance of sanity in this thread in a sea of idiocy.

For the record I have texted while riding a motorcycle in the breakdown lane during rush hour. Who did this action harm?

peterpressure

Reaction score
And congratulations for wearing a helmet when you ride. Unfortunately, many of your fellow riders don't. Texas, for example, has experienced a 25% rise in motorcycle fatalities since repealing its helmet law in 1998. And that doesn't take into account the number of injured riders whose care I help pay for through my insurance rates. Other states have similar experiences.

Why is it any of your business what riders put on top of their heads when they ride? NH, Illinois and Iowa do not have any helmet laws and I know NH actually has lower insurance rates than my home state of Massachusetts.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I am sending this from my droid.... while driving.... not at a stop light....

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!11

no wait, I'm not wrecking.... again

Mateles

Reaction score
Cell phone or not, too many people are terrible drivers and don't take it seriously enough. I think all drivers should be retested (road and written) every couple years.

More bad drivers off the roads (+ less drivers overall = less traffic)
More jobs created by the DMV to keep the wait reasonable
Incentive for better public transportation

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Cell phone or not, too many people are terrible drivers and don't take it seriously enough. I think all drivers should be retested (road and written) every couple years.

agreed and or random drug test like us semi drivers go thru. or maybe even a logbook that might be in vane would only be about 20 drivers left in the world

peterpressure

Reaction score

Watch out man, what you just did is tantamount to attempted murder according to the current mob in power.

jasonppp

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

and you will be one of the fools we read about in the paper

Abadus

Reaction score
I don't care if you wear a helmet or a seatbelt. I always wore mine when riding and I always buckle up. The problems start when some moron is texting and hits me.

I agree though that the speedo is a distraction. I use cruise as much as I possiably can. It also helps me not speed.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Interesting thing just happened to me an hour or so ago...

I was driving around, minding my own business, and happened to be texting someone (note: I was driving kind of slow). A city cop pulled up to the stop sign and he saw me, but didn't give me a ticket. I even waved to him, and he waved back. So obviously he didn't care what I was doing.

Oh yeah, forgot to say.... I was driving my lawn tractor, cutting the grass. :D

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Why is it any of your business what riders put on top of their heads when they ride? NH, Illinois and Iowa do not have any helmet laws and I know NH actually has lower insurance rates than my home state of Massachusetts.

A number of factors go into the calculation of insurance rates. The nature of insurance, however, is pooled risk. And every motorcyclist kept on life support because he/she was stupid enough to ride without a helmet costs me money.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

+1000, there are WAY to many people that shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel at all, especially here in TN...

Status
Not open for further replies.