Driving and texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I'd love to see a 'driving mode' on my phone, leaving the ability to send and recieve calls intact while disabling texting etc. Of course, I'm biased, I have to be in phone range at work on the off chance I get a call or have an emergency. Still, if they can manage the airplane mode that disables all wireless, and the music-only that leaves Bluetooth on but turns off communications...

you lack the self discipline to not text unless you have the ability to turn off texting while driving? While I don't think it's that big a deal, if I feel something is bad for me, I don't expect someone else to come up with something to prevent me from making bad personal choices, I simply don't.

peterpressure said:
Actually: "In early 1930 the Massachusetts registrar of motor vehicles proposed a regulation to prohibit drivers from playing radios while a car was in motion. (The city of St. Louis introduced similar legislation.) It all came to a head on February 26, 1930, when the Massachusetts Public Works Commission held a hearing on the question. Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, that music could lull a driver to sleep, and that with open cars still common, radios distracted the drivers of other vehicles too." AmericanHeritage.com / RADIO HITS THE ROAD

Texting is just the latest prohibition that the mob rule supports.

exactly..... sheeple all need a token cause to attach themselves to.

PikaCane

Reaction score
you lack the self discipline to not text unless you have the ability to turn off texting while driving? While I don't think it's that big a deal, if I feel something is bad for me, I don't expect someone else to come up with something to prevent me from making bad personal choices, I simply don't.

Sorry, I failed to make clear that I don't have my Droid yet. All I'm looking to do is stop the incoming texts-even just the notifications. I'm still stuck with my enV Touch, which by circumstance happens to be my car music player. And for some reason unbeknownst to us mere mortals, LG thought it was a wonderful idea to pause the music player on incoming messages, and force you to manually unlock the phone and clear the notification. :icon_evil: I don't read the message and I certainly don't initiate them. I know it's an odd set of circumstances.

Admittedly, I do have 'driving!' saved as the top quicktext so if someone is insistent, i can reply with about three clicks. But that's a desperation move.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

DeathXlife

Reaction score
Paul's Law, the anti-texting law in Arkansas, was named after the man killed by a texting driver. Later, the person responsible for the accident committed suicide. I worked with his father, who is a doctor here in Arkansas. knowing him before and after the incident, the changes in him were heartbreaking. There is nothing anyone has to say important enough to risk texting and driving.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

Sorry, I failed to make clear that I don't have my Droid yet. All I'm looking to do is stop the incoming texts-even just the notifications. I'm still stuck with my enV Touch, which by circumstance happens to be my car music player. And for some reason unbeknownst to us mere mortals, LG thought it was a wonderful idea to pause the music player on incoming messages, and force you to manually unlock the phone and clear the notification. :icon_evil: I don't read the message and I certainly don't initiate them. I know it's an odd set of circumstances.

Admittedly, I do have 'driving!' saved as the top quicktext so if someone is insistent, i can reply with about three clicks. But that's a desperation move.

Edited for clarity.

well, I will say, the music will stop as your notification comes in, but automatically picks back up.... minor annoyance, but you don't have to mess with the phone at all and it will pick back up.

I have had notifications come through, while music was playing and navigation going in the back ground.... never touched the phone.

deathxlife said:
Paul's Law, the anti-texting law in Arkansas, was named after the man killed by a texting driver. Later, the person responsible for the accident committed suicide. I worked with his father, who is a doctor here in Arkansas. knowing him before and after the incident, the changes in him were heartbreaking. There is nothing anyone has to say important enough to risk texting and driving.

the same argument can be made about the radio according to the link posted above..... you are just the knee-jerk reactionist sheeple that seems you must find a cause to jump aboard.

the anti-texting community is, fortunately, has technological ADHD. as soon as a newer shinier technology comes along.... they'll forget about texting. Much like bans on talking on cell phones are not 'newsworthy" anymore and noone seems to push for that anymore. it's not the glamorous thing to push for anymore.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a 'driving mode' on my phone, leaving the ability to send and recieve calls intact while disabling texting etc. Of course, I'm biased, I have to be in phone range at work on the off chance I get a call or have an emergency. Still, if they can manage the airplane mode that disables all wireless, and the music-only that leaves Bluetooth on but turns off communications...

peterpressure said:
Actually: "In early 1930 the Massachusetts registrar of motor vehicles proposed a regulation to prohibit drivers from playing radios while a car was in motion. (The city of St. Louis introduced similar legislation.) It all came to a head on February 26, 1930, when the Massachusetts Public Works Commission held a hearing on the question. Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, that music could lull a driver to sleep, and that with open cars still common, radios distracted the drivers of other vehicles too." AmericanHeritage.com / RADIO HITS THE ROAD

Unfortunately, the standard "libertarian" argument in this (and many other) case fails to take into account that making that "personal decision" has potential impacts (pardon the pun) on the safety of others. One might as well argue that the decision to drive on the right side of the road should be a "personal choice."

Furthermore, there is no substantial body of research that indicates listening to the radio is sufficiently distracting to impact road safety. On the other hand there is a massive body of research that indicates talking (much less texting) on a cell phone impairs reaction time significantly.

No one argues that use of a cell phone is the ONLY form of driver distraction. It is, however, ubiquitous. (And as already noted, use of a hands-free phone is no less of an impairment.)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

peterpressure said:

Unfortunately, the standard "libertarian" argument in this (and many other) case fails to take into account that making that "personal decision" has potential impacts (pardon the pun) on the safety of others. One might as well argue that the decision to drive on the right side of the road should be a "personal choice."

Furthermore, there is no substantial body of research that indicates listening to the radio is sufficiently distracting to impact road safety. On the other hand there is a massive body of research that indicates talking (much less texting) on a cell phone impairs reaction time significantly.

No one argues that use of a cell phone is the ONLY form of driver distraction. It is, however, ubiquitous. (And as already noted, use of a hands-free phone is no less of an impairment.)

there was, once upon a time, a mountain of research based evidence that said pot made people crazy..... its called propaganda..... and it works. There WAS research that said radios (and even wipers) distracted drivers and pushed for the banning of both.

so at this piont, we have simply found the new "pot" and "radio" propaganda push.... it first went after talking on cell phones, but anti-cell phone (while driving) laws changed what we do.... now we text....

so ask yourself, does this law actually encourage safer drivers, or encourage drivers to get sneakier (potentially unsafer) in order to do it.

prohibition didn't stop the consumption of alcohol.

now a snippet I want to address more specifically

jsh1120 said:

personal liability, or lack of, has nothing to do with my argument.... I want LESS GOVT. I don't need big brother to pass a law that says I have to wipe my ass 3 times before I get off the pot.

same applies here.... we don't need a double law.... it's been pointed out time and time again on here, that wreckless driving laws already exist that take care of all of this. It won't stop all wrecks "caused by texting" anymore than a law specific to texting will.

simply choosing to drive affects you as it is... outlaw driving

my argument is less government, not less personal liability.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm closing this thread because it has turned into a political debate and political discussions are not allowed in the Droid Forum.:closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.