driod GPS has me at the wrong location

brandyrich

Reaction score
Already have that app. I used it to determine that I was approx. 3 degrees off. It showed that I was connected to at least 4 sats at any given time.

pc.huff

Reaction score
Well, mine started messing up today but its a little worse for me.

I'm in Irving Texas and my GPS says that I'm in Eilendorf Germany!! WTF?!:icon_evil:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just signed on to my iGoogle page and gps found me right away, no problems. I also signed on to maps and it pinned my location exactly.

I also keep cell tower location turned off.

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
With the use wireless network option selected, it shows me as being 1000 feet across the street and in a residential neighborhood.

With use wireless network option deselected, it pinpoints me exactly where i am. If i use my Garmin GPS Unit side by side, it verifies my position.

While i tried running around for a while with the wireless network option turned off, apps that use GPS data were slow and at times non-responsive to my request for locating me.

I guess its a two way street. Fast and Semi-Accurate aGPS + GPS or slower and pin point accurate GPS.

I just wish there was a way to tell an app which one to use and it not be a system wide decision.

jaste

Reaction score
This article may help explain part of the problem:

The Browser Geolocation Wars: Skyhook’s CEO on Why Google Maps is Misreading Your Location | Xconomy

So the Driod can geolocate by three methods: tower location, Wifi location databases like Skyhook's, but not Skyhook's, and GPS. I have seen the Droid switch to each of these and it's reflected in the accuracy, tower is in miles, wifi hundreds of feet and GPS tens of feet. I think it works amazingly well, considering.

There was a guy in another forum who moved and his Droid shows him still at his old address - do ya think he brought his access point to his new address? Don't know how you go about getting that updated.

Audiophile

Reaction score
Hey I just had a very weird GPS problem with my Droid too. Like other people, it put me in another country. But not only that, I could tell that what I was looking at was the GPS of a plane traveling at 500 mph over canada. Very odd that my droid would be reading the GPS of a plane....