driod GPS has me at the wrong location

Sean

Reaction score
Is there any way to fix this? Does anyone else have this issue?

Vladimir

Reaction score
yes if follow these steps...settings -> location & security turn off "Use wireless networks" this wont triangulate your signal and use GPS makes it more accurate :)

brandyrich

Reaction score
Wireless is turned off but the gps is still showing that i am in a different part of the state. I turned on and off the gps as well as rebooting the phone. Any suggestions?

justbob

Reaction score
GPS is very accurate, so if it has you in another part of the state, and you're absolutely sure you have GPS enabled correctly I would say you have a bad phone.

The only other explanation is that DoD has re-enabled Selective Availabillity, in which case we're all screwed since the Droid can't do DGPS. :icon_eek:

brandyrich

Reaction score
Based on that article it looks like DGPS would only put you off by feet, I am off by miles. Approx. 3 degrees off actually.

Guchi

Reaction score
by "rebooting the phone" did you turn it off and then back on? if you didnt try a battery pull try - with the phone ON remove the battery wait 30 sec the start up the phone.

brandyrich

Reaction score
Tried both. I gave up on it last night and tried again this morning. It is finally working again out of nowhere. I didnt change anything this time (not sure what was going on).

justbob

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it seems accurate enough. It was able to pinpoint my location within about 30 feet or so.

brandyrich

Reaction score
I just checked mine and it seems accurate enough. It was able to pinpoint my location within about 30 feet or so.

Most of the time mine is as well. I am not sure why it was acting up this time.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine shows my exact location on the map, but the name of the city is wrong. The city name that shows is actually on the other side of the state. I have reported the problem a few times through Google Maps and still haven't heard back from them. It randomly does this, and it's very strange that the actual location is correct with an incorrect city name. Anyone experienced something like this? I'm in NC.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My GPS isn't picking me up either. Maps has my location as my geo-location for the cell tower. Wonder what's going on.

atlwxman

Reaction score
Working fine for me here in northern Virginia. I am inside my house and my location dot is right on the roof.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I sent an error report to Google. Hopefully it helps

edit: I disabled 'use wireless networks' in My Location setting and my gps immediately picked me up. It wasn't working with this enabled however. Odd. But if I try again to locate my GPS location with 'use wireless networks' enabled, it reverts to the same problem. WTF?

Last edited:

radioz

Reaction score
For those that are having trouble with you GPS locations, try installing the app called 'GPS Status' (it's free).

It turn on your GPS and start the app. It will tell you how many satellites are available and how many it can recieve. Maybe you are in a building that interferes with the signal.

Try moving outside clear of obstructions to see if your position gets corrected?

Good luck.