DRAFT: Noob guide to rooting and flashing ROMs

fishacura

Reaction score
As promissed, I started working on a guide for Noobs. If I get this right maybe I graduate to the next step but for now I'm still a noob. I tried to pull bits and pieces from lots of threads and my own experience. I am hoping to get it nailed down to the point where maybe it can be a Sticky on this sub forum. Here it goes...please comment and I'll fix this to a more final draft.

CAUTION: You do any of this at your own risk and this will void most warranties from most if not all carriers. That being said, if you follow instructions it can be fun and easy and even if you run into problems, there are a lot of great and friendly people out here who are more than willing to help.

The first thing you'll need to do is root your phone. Rooting will give you access to the phone's storage. There is a terrific one-click root method found here:
Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Follow the instructions as they're laid out and you'll be fine. I actually had to use the Windows XP workaround and can attest that worked fine for me.

Once you have root, check it out. If you have your phone plugged into your pc, change the USB connection from "charge only" to "mass storage device". Go into windows explorer and you'll see two new drives out there (assuming you have added a memory card). That's your phones internal memory and installed card. Success! But you probably won't want to stop there.

The best next step is to get a few key apps to help anyone who has rooted their phone. I would start with the following:

ROM Manager (thanks koush):
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&feature=search_result

Droid 3 Bootstrap (thanks hash of codes):
Hash of Codes: Stock CM Bootstrap for Droid 3

Oh and before I forget, please try to donate to these guys! Through their hard work many of us who are new to this and even the experts are able to really use our devices the way they were intended to be used (that is the way we want to not the way your provider decides you should)

Now, before you do anything, you'll want to do a "nandroid backup". This will allow you to get back to your current phone state if you encounter any problems. The steps are as follows:

1. Open Droid 3 Bootstrapper.

2. Click the top button (Bootstrap Recovery) and wait for it to complete (note the first time you use this or any other system application it may say it needs superuser access to run...just grant it!

3. Now click the bottom button (Reboot Recovery) This will boot your phone into the boot menu

4. Use your volume keys to toggle to backup and restore and use the power key to select

5. Use the power key to select backup. This will take 5-10 minutes.

6. Reboot your phone

After reboot I also backup my phone with ROM manager. I don't know if it is necessary or not but I do it just in case.

Now you can start flashing ROMS. What does this mean? Well, think of a ROM as a new framework for your phone. Verizon's custom rom runs a lot of "bloatware" (that is programs that slow the system that you may or may not want to be running in the background). So basically, people create custom ROMS. These ROMs allow peolple to load something that has the bloatware removed for a more customized experience. The ones I am aware of for the droid as of Oct 2011 are below. I am sure there are others and certainly more on their way.

Steel Droid (seems popular and I liked it with the exception of missing my universal inbox)

Monster (very bare bones which may appeal to you)

Liberty

I am going to use Steel Droid as the example here. The first thing you'll need to do is download the ROM file which will be a .zip file. Steel Droids can be found on this site on this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...steel-droid-3-0-gingerbread-10-16-2011-a.html

1. Download the .zip file to your PC.

2. Next, connect your phone to your PC and choose mass storage device.

3. You now want to copy the .ZIP file from your PC to your phone. The drive you're looking for has "MOT" next to the drive letter in windows explorer. It's your phone's internal storage drive. Copy the .zip file to the root drive.

4. Once that is complete, open Droid 3 Bootstrapper.

5. Click the top button (Bootstrap Recovery) and wait for it to complete

6. Now click the bottom button (Reboot Recovery) This will boot your phone into the boot menu

NOTE: Control of your phone in the boot menu is as follows (Volume down - move down: Volume up - move up: Power button - select)

7. Using your volume keys you want to "install zip from SD card" then "choose zip from internal SD card" and then select the .zip file that you downloaded (in this case the steel droid .zip file)

8. Your now want to reboot. Your phone will begin rebooting. This WILL take a little while (tough to say....but LET IT GO should be 5-10 minutes!!!) Do not mess with it. It will reboot.

Congratulations, you have just flashed your first ROM. The process can be used to FLASH any rom to your phone.

Last edited:

Defiant2005

Reaction score
How to root the Motorola XT860 running 2.3.5? All OneClick programs do not work.

neilrl79

Reaction score
As promissed, I started working on a guide for Noobs. If I get this right maybe I graduate to the next step but for now I'm still a noob. I tried to pull bits and pieces from lots of threads and my own experience. I am hoping to get it nailed down to the point where maybe it can be a Sticky on this sub forum. Here it goes...please comment and I'll fix this to a more final draft.

CAUTION: You do any of this at your own risk and this will void most warranties from most if not all carriers. That being said, if you follow instructions it can be fun and easy and even if you run into problems, there are a lot of great and friendly people out here who are more than willing to help.

The first thing you'll need to do is root your phone. Rooting will give you access to the phone's storage. There is a terrific one-click root method found here:
Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Follow the instructions as they're laid out and you'll be fine. I actually had to use the Windows XP workaround and can attest that worked fine for me.

Once you have root, check it out. If you have your phone plugged into your pc, change the USB connection from "charge only" to "mass storage device". Go into windows explorer and you'll see two new drives out there (assuming you have added a memory card). That's your phones internal memory and installed card. Success! But you probably won't want to stop there.

The best next step is to get a few key apps to help anyone who has rooted their phone. I would start with the following:

ROM Manager (thanks koush):
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&feature=search_result

Droid 3 Bootstrap (thanks hash of codes):
Hash of Codes: Stock CM Bootstrap for Droid 3

Oh and before I forget, please try to donate to these guys! Through their hard work many of us who are new to this and even the experts are able to really use our devices the way they were intended to be used (that is the way we want to not the way your provider decides you should)

Now, before you do anything else, BACKUP YOUR PHONE WITH ROM MANAGER. I cannot stress this enough. I DID NOT do this and I can now NEVER get back to my stock verizon phone...this may cause me issues later for OTA (that's Over The Air) updates that the carrier puts out.

Now you can start flashing ROMS. What does this mean? Well, think of a ROM as a new framework for your phone. Verizon's custom rom runs a lot of "bloatware" (that is programs that slow the system that you may or may not want to be running in the background). So basically, people create custom ROMS. These ROMs allow peolple to load something that has the bloatware removed for a more customized experience. The ones I am aware of for the droid 3 are:

Steel Droid (seems popular and I liked it with the exception of missing my universal inbox)

Monster (very bare bones which may appeal to you)

I am going to use Steel Droid as the example here. The first thing you'll need to do is download the ROM file which will be a .zip file. Steel Droids can be found on this site on this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/st...steel-droid-3-0-gingerbread-10-16-2011-a.html

1. Download the .zip file to your PC.

2. Next, connect your phone to your PC and choose mass storage device.

3. You now want to copy the .ZIP file from your PC to your phone. The drive you're looking for has "MOT" next to the drive letter in windows explorer. It's your phone's internal storage drive. Copy the .zip file to the root drive.

4. Once that is complete, open Droid 3 Bootstrapper.

5. Click the top button (Bootstrap Recovery) and wait for it to complete

6. Now click the bottom button (Reboot Recovery) This will boot your phone into the boot menu

NOTE: Control of your phone in the boot menu is as follows (Volume down - move down: Volume up - move up: Power button - select)

7. Using your volume keys you want to "install zip from SD card" then "choose zip from internal SD card" and then select the .zip file that you downloaded (in this case the steel droid .zip file)

8. Your now want to reboot. Your phone will begin rebooting. This WILL take a little while (tough to say....but LET IT GO should be 5-10 minutes!!!) Do not mess with it. It will reboot.

Congratulations, you have just flashed your first ROM. The process can be used to FLASH any rom to your phone.

Before selecting install zip, you should go to back-up and restore and make a nandroid back-up. This step is crucial in case you end up boot-looping.

Reaction score
High FIVE!

Thank you, thank you. I'm not a noob to flashing Roms but performing this action on the D1 was effortless. I just need the steps and or video walk through to make sure all is in place before the first flash.

Again thank you.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
No problem. I'll make some tweaks and then finalize. I will then add a supplement for people trying to flash addons after installing a new ROM (something I am trying to figure out how to do).

ellis971

Reaction score
Im trying to usb tether my droid3 to my pc (windows 7) but am having difficulties. I have tried multiple driver sets; verizon, motorola, and the one provided here with no luck. My d3 will charge but will not connect for the the 1 click program included. Is there any other driver set besides the ones I've tried? Or even another approach to rooting possibly? Thanks in advanced

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
So you have downloaded and installed the motorola drivers on the pc, hooked the device to the PC via USB and it's not being recognized?

ellis971

Reaction score
Correct. I even un-installed each with complete shutdown restart of both my d3 and my pc inbetween installs.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Any chance we get a video walk through of each distinct step? Droid-life.com has been less than stellar now a days.

Via MachDroid3

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
There are many videos on the one-step root method already out there. As for the rest, it's really as simple and step by step as the above indicates. I don't have a video handy to upload or I certainly would.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fishacura,

Continue to update here, and once you have it finalized (creating backup etc), let me know and you can copy and paste into a new thread and I will sticky in the D3 Hacks section.

Thanks!

Reaction score
The one step root is simple enough to do and that part I understand. Its the bootstrap and or alternate way to get to recovery that baffle me. Too many "I bricked my D3 threads" for me to take the plunge without seeing the process. written instructions always leave something out. I don't think I rooted until I watched a root video which showed what I would see. I guess I will run stock rooted D3 with bloated apps frozen.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I hear you...I was there myself and finally took the plunge when many others before me told me to do it. I was skeptical but finally trusted them...and it worked...this is the ENTIRE reason I put this thread together which hopefully will be a sticky someday...it really is as easy as they told me....and I am SO happy I did it.

EDIT: Plus, absolute worst case scenario there is a proven unbrick method: [SBF] Droid 3 Fastboot files (5.5.959 and 5.6.890) - RootzWiki

Last edited: