Attempted to install Steel Droid 4.5; now have flashing/blinking Moto Dual Core logo

tarahmarie

Reaction score
(1) I had root on a stock Droid 3.
(2) I factory reset.
(3) I installed ROM Manager and flashed CWM (didn't do me a lot of good, because I didn't have root anymore).
(4) I rooted using the One-Click method. ([ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - Droid 3 - RootzWiki)
(5) I installed Koush's Droid 3 Bootstrap Recovery and CWM via ROM Manager.
(6) I copied the SD4.5 zip to my sdcard, manually booted into CWM Recovery and installed.
(7) I rebooted after the installation successfully completed.
(8) I have a flashing Dual Core Moto logo, and nothing else.
(9) I tried booting into recovery, and I get the stock Android Recovery screen, not the CWM screen.

What do I do? I'm not an Android dev, but I know my way around OOP. I've used Cyanogen before on a previous phone; I was going to do Steel Droid on this one since there's an official release of SD for the Droid 3 and not for CM. I'm open to any suggestions, and I don't particularly care what ROM I use so long as I don't have to use MotoCrapWare (tm) by the time I'm done.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Are you still on firmware version 5.6.890?

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you're on .890, SBF/Fastboot back to stock. Root. Install SafeStrap. (Guidot has instruction threads for this over in the Hacks section). Enable Safe mode and Flash ROM (again, directions in Hacks)

If you're on .906, that's a bit trickier.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
If you're on .890, SBF/Fastboot back to stock. Root. Install SafeStrap. (Guidot has instruction threads for this over in the Hacks section). Enable Safe mode and Flash ROM (again, directions in Hacks)

If you're on .906, that's a bit trickier.

Please translate this set of instructions into "Not an Android Developer".

.890 = ?
SBF = ?
.906 = ?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:biggrin: go to settings, about phone and look for system version. its gonna be 5.7.XXX.Verizon.en.US. The XXX will either be 890 or 906.

this will tell us what system base you are on, so we will know which way to point you.

If it is .890.....go to this post here It will give you directions for "fastbooting" (which is much easier than SBFing IMO) your phone back to stock 890, rooting it and installing a ROM

If it is .906 DO NOT FOLLOW those directions. Let us know. It's a bit trickier, but can be done.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
:biggrin: go to settings, about phone and look for system version. its gonna be 5.7.XXX.Verizon.en.US. The XXX will either be 890 or 906.

this will tell us what system base you are on, so we will know which way to point you.

If it is .890.....go to this post here It will give you directions for "fastbooting" (which is much easier than SBFing IMO) your phone back to stock 890, rooting it and installing a ROM

If it is .906 DO NOT FOLLOW those directions. Let us know. It's a bit trickier, but can be done.

My phone doesn't boot. I am stuck at the flashing Moto Dual Core logo. I can't tell you what firmware I'm on.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
My phone doesn't boot. I am stuck at the flashing Moto Dual Core logo. I can't tell you what firmware I'm on.

I can get to the standard Android Recovery screen and I have AP Fastboot; can I find out my firmware from there?

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
oh yeah. poop.

how long have you had the D3? Is this a replacement?
when it was stock, did you recently get an OTA update?
I'm guessing you didn't flash the leaked .906 zip, correct?

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
how long have you had the D3? Is this a replacement?
when it was stock, did you recently get an OTA update?
I'm guessing you didn't flash the leaked .906 zip, correct?

(1) A year. A replacement of what?
(2) OTA means over the air, I think. How would I know if I got one?
(3) No clue. The first zip file I tried to install was the Steel Droid one.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
(1) A year. A replacement of what?
(2) OTA means over the air, I think. How would I know if I got one?
(3) No clue. The first zip file I tried to install was the Steel Droid one.

O.O--would the OTA update have been pushed immediately after factory resetting the phone? Like the difference between seeing Android Market and Google Play Store? If so, that update did happen.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
O.O--would the OTA update have been pushed immediately after factory resetting the phone? Like the difference between seeing Android Market and Google Play Store? If so, that update did happen.

You would have been prompted by a pop up menu asking if you wanted to download an update. Then after dowloading, it would have asked if you wanted to update the phone. During the update it would have rebooted into an "update screen" that showed a progress bar indicating how far along the update is. If you didn't see any of that, you probably didn't update. It's not as simple as a Market to Play Store conversion.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
You would have been prompted by a pop up menu asking if you wanted to download an update. Then after dowloading, it would have asked if you wanted to update the phone. During the update it would have rebooted into an "update screen" that showed a progress bar indicating how far along the update is. If you didn't see any of that, you probably didn't update. It's not as simple as a Market to Play Store conversion.

I don't remember doing that while I had the phone. In fact, I am fairly sure (but not all the way) that I never permitted OTAs because it might have killed root. So, here's the question. If I have the .906 and I use the .890 method, will that permabrick my phone?

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try powering up your phone by holding the power + x button..when you get the exclamation and android screen press both the volume buttons...scroll down to factory reset/wipe data then press your power button to select it then confirm it..then reboot

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I don't remember doing that while I had the phone. In fact, I am fairly sure (but not all the way) that I never permitted OTAs because it might have killed root. So, here's the question. If I have the .906 and I use the .890 method, will that permabrick my phone?

If you've had the phone for a year, and didn't do an OTA, I would assume that you are still on the .890 firmware. Follow Ovelayer's instructions (post right above this one) and see what that does for you. If it doesn't help, try vbhokiefan's instructions on the first page.

OP
T

tarahmarie

Reaction score
If you've had the phone for a year, and didn't do an OTA, I would assume that you are still on the .890 firmware. Follow Ovelayer's instructions (post right above this one) and see what that does for you. If it doesn't help, try vbhokiefan's instructions on the first page.

Yes, but that's not my question. If I have the .906 and I use the .890 method, will I permabrick my phone? (also, wiping cache and data didn't help)