Restore from Steel to stock Verizon

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
@neilrl (or anyone else who may want to chime in) Thanks to you I successfully flashed back to the de-odexed stock ROM. Not sure how it's different because it looks identical...thanks. So now I am rooted and have this ROM running with Monster and Steel on the drive to flash to at any time.

What I'd like to do before going back to steel is try to figure out how to bring the one or two stock Verizon apps that I like (universal inbox as an example) over to steel.

I went into root explorer and clicked on the system folder as you instructed but got the error message "system permissions cannot be changed because file system is read only" Any ideas on that one? I even tried to go into the MOT folder on windows explorer and paste the app into the zip/system/app folder and it would not let me.

I think once I figure this one out I'll be able to go to steel, copy the apps I really want over, and have a truly customized experience.

Also started drafting the "Noobs guide to flashing roms" which hopefully people will get something out of.

Last edited:

neilrl79

Reaction score
You need RootExplorer to be mounted as R/W(read/write)
In this screenshot it shows RootExplorer mounted as R/O(readonly) and a button to mount asR/W(read/write)
CAP201110161022.png

In this screenshot it shows RootExplorer mounted as R/W(read/write) and a button to mount as R/O(readonly)
CAP201110160840.png

In RootExplorer you want to find the .apk on you sd(internal or external) then long press on it and select copy.(to show as an example i put a copy of backupassistant in a folder i created on my internal sd calles app-backups)
CAP201110161042.png

CAP201110161043.png

Navigate to /system/app/ make sure you're mounted as R/W and hit the paste button.
CAP201110161106.png

The app should then appear in/system/app/ long press on that app and a list of options will pop up, select permissions.
CAP201110160841.png

Then the permissions will pop up and you need to set them like this:
CAP2011101608411.png

All system apps will have this same permissions... rw-r--r--

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I think I understand. I think part of the issue is I am trying to do everyting within the .zip files folder structure. I'm going to get the .apk in windows explorer and just stick it onto the root of the sd card and copy and paste from there.

This is a tremendous procedure thanks as I know others can benefit from this!