Don't let your guard down.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know that that's really proof of anything. I see posts like that all the time and they almost always boil down to a damaged touchscreen or improper charger. Plus the guy made one post and never came back, so either it wasn't that big of a deal or the hackers got to him...

tappin and a talkin

OP
N

nibblit

Reaction score
I don't know that that's really proof of anything. I see posts like that all the time and they almost always boil down to a damaged touchscreen or improper charger. Plus the guy made one post and never came back, so either it wasn't that big of a deal or the hackers got to him...

tappin and a talkin

That was merely one thread I found. My buddy Mike had to deal with security issues IRL. Had his identity stolen, which led to a maelstrom of financial headaches. Security experts will tell you that one of the best ways hackers (crackers) can breach your hand-set is by knowing what apps you're using. So, I was a wee bit concerned when I saw folks postings pics of their home screen. Never hurts to use common sense.
:)

Sent from my marginally bricked D2.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

tappin and a talkin

That was merely one thread I found. My buddy Mike had to deal with security issues IRL. Had his identity stolen, which led to a maelstrom of financial headaches. Security experts will tell you that one of the best ways hackers (crackers) can breach your hand-set is by knowing what apps you're using. So, I was a wee bit concerned when I saw folks postings pics of their home screen. Never hurts to use common sense.

100% agree. People wonder why they got their accounts hacked into and things like that is because most likely they weren't using a trusted source. Entering personal information into any website is always going to put you at risk, but if the user is unaware of what kind of site they're at or what they're signing up for anything can happen.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

I tend to disagree with you on the knowing what apps you use thing. I have no idea how that would possibly be able to help anyone other that possibly giving them an insight as to what interests you so that they can get you to download a fraudulent app that will attempt to steal your information. And that's still a big stretch. I'm not saying its impossible for someone to rip you off on your phone but you would basically have to be leaving your defenses wide open. I don't hand out credit card information to anyone including the marketplace. I use prepaid cards for that. Ralistically all you have to do to defend yourself is only download apps that have a good reputation among users, pay attention to the permissions that an app is asking for, and don't throw your personal information around.

tappin and a talkin

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

I tend to disagree with you on the knowing what apps you use thing. I have no idea how that would possibly be able to help anyone other that possibly giving them an insight as to what interests you so that they can get you to download a fraudulent app that will attempt to steal your information. And that's still a big stretch. I'm not saying its impossible for someone to rip you off on your phone but you would basically have to be leaving your defenses wide open. I don't hand out credit card information to anyone including the marketplace. I use prepaid cards for that. Ralistically all you have to do to defend yourself is only download apps that have a good reputation among users, pay attention to the permissions that an app is asking for, and don't throw your personal information around.

tappin and a talkin

I would love for someone to steal my identity, when they couldn't get a candy bar and a soda at a convenience store they'd be trying to give my identity back to me LOL :icon_eek:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

I would love for someone to steal my identity, when they couldn't get a candy bar and a soda at a convenience store they'd be trying to give my identity back to me LOL :icon_eek:

Lol I know how that is. One look at my credit score has them running for the hills.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Mine has ME running for the hills!! :(

tappin and a talkin

Lol I know how that is. One look at my credit score has them running for the hills.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
N

nibblit

Reaction score
I have no idea how that would possibly... I don't hand out credit card information to anyone including the marketplace. I use prepaid cards for that... and don't throw your personal information around.

tappin and a talkin

Viewing what apps a person uses gives crackers intel. C'mon, I don't think like an evil person.

Also, you're incredibly astute for using a pre-paid purchasing card. Most people don't know to do that. Sadly, too many folks DO throw around their personal information. I've never seen anything more dumb than behavior described in the article below. Hey! My fingers are getting tired. I need to stop replying. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/12/13/end.of.privacy.intro/index.html

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

tappin and a talkin

My score has a minus sign in front of it LOL :)

OP
N

nibblit

Reaction score

ROFL!!!
aefcaf20-944b-b482.jpg

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its no biggie i'm not trying to start anything its just that a handfull of people are incredibly reckless with the way they deal with security and that makes other people around them feel like its a genuine threat, which frankly right now its just not. Imo the only thing you need to protect yourself is common sense, and some people just choose not to use theirs.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

My score has a minus sign in front of it LOL :)

Lol classic

tappin and a talkin