Android Piracy: A Walk Down Memory Plank

its.mike

Reaction score
A buck or two isn't really worth pirating. 20 apps would only set you back $20-$30, and quite honestly I don't think there are 20 apps I'd want to pay for (I would, but with the exception of a handful I'd seek out a free alternative). MP3's, on the other hand, add-up....at $1 a piece you'd be talking a few thousand bucks to get everything you like, and it's far easier to do than pirating apps 1-off.
So stealing from a musician who puts the same amount of work into their product is more acceptable? Not to mention their are far more people who rely on record sales then just the artist involved, unlike with most apps where its one or just a few people.

Sent from my DROIDX using my fingers and magic.

devator22

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, and not intended as judgement, but to those of you who who are so eager to say that it is morally wrong to pirate apps, do you apply the same morality when it comes to circumventing the carrier's TOS regarding tethering via pdanet or using rooted wifi hotspot apps for free?

Wrong is wrong, right?

Just for the record, I agree that it is wrong to pirate software. However, I am not adverse to tethering for free.

Logic dictates that my position is ethically inconsistent.

Any takers?

As far as wireless tethering goes, Verizon claims it is not possible with the droid, yet I literally use the wireless tether app on my droid daily so I can get my iPod on the internet. Therefore, Verizon refuses to make use of obviously usable technology, so if there is someone who does decide to make use of it, it's Verizon's own fault for missing out on an opportunity.
As for wired tethering, we pay x amount of dollars a month for the unlimited and unhindered use of Verizon's 3G network. I can only speak for myself, but I do not cheat Verizon in any way, and gladly pay my $30 a month for unlimited data. By charging an extra fee, Verizon is kind of being cheap by making us pay for a service which we already pay for. By using a free tethering app, we are still using the same unlimited data which we pay for, only we are using it in creative ways.
In short, by pirating an app, we are hurting a developer and discouraging further development. But by using a tether app, we are still paying Verizon. It would be like if you payed a monthly fee to listen to music, but if you wanted to use speakers so that others could also listen, you had to pay twice as much.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
By using a free tethering app, we are still using the same unlimited data which we pay for, only we are using it in creative ways.

Such a BS justification....What you are actually paying for is unlimited data with restrictions or conditions, tethering is expressly NOT included in your $30 data plan.

Companies do that all the time, i.e. you get to check 1 bag with a plane ticket but it has a weight and size restriction.

This Green Machine

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ThisGreenMachine.com
There were a few very good points brought up. First the moral standard of pirating Software vs Music. As someone brought up earlier, you could almost say it's "worse" to rip off the musician. It is my guess that most applications on the market are made by people that are doing it on the side. They most likely have jobs and are coding in their spare time. Bands that are large enough to tour, release a CD, and are signed to a label are probably making music for a living. "Stealing" from a musician is like taking food right off his/her plate. I personally think iTunes has been one of the best anti-piracy tool every made. Similar Napster, to many, iTunes is just so easy.

The second good example was going around Verizon to get free tethering. This is a bit more understandable in terms of less moral angst. Verizon is often seen as the big corporation that charges us way too much. Stealing from the "man" doesn't seem as bad as from our brothers. Ever take office supplies home with you? Same idea.

I have donated money to devs for apps I thought were great and available for free. I want to give talent incentive to stick around. It only makes my experience better if better apps are made. So for developers I'm willing to give money even when not required. I would general not do this for musicians. Maybe I will buy a tshirt and go to a show, but I won't be donating it. Lastly, I am no saint. I would easily tether from Verizon using 3rd party apps and not feel bad. Basically for me (and I assume with most) it becomes an economic sliding scale. Does it make it more morally correct from one side of the scale than another? Absolutely not, but I have no problem sleeping at night.

gmmurphy

Reaction score
i love droidforums.net! now this is entertainment. great opinions, some of you should be writing professionally.
i sit and type on my think pad using wireless tether. i support developers by paying for apps or buying beer for those who have donation links. i bet 90% of us here can pirate apps but don't because it would be like stealing from family. for those who do pirate, i dont get it. 99 cents! come on, you have a $400-$500 handset, at least $30 for data and whatever call plan, (i pay $180 for two lines) average ill bet $100 a month and you cant pay .99cents for an application that's fun or usefull. for one cup of starbucks premium double mocha with a twist, you could have four fine applications.
as for my use of wireless tether im fine with it, (my opinion) i pay $60 for data on two phones, data is data regardless on how its used. i don't abuse it, i use it when necessary.

Moral indignation - jealousy with a halo.

- H. G. Wells

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
One question -- how can anyone feel morally outraged at use of something that a company denies it can be used for, yet so obviously it can be?

They gave wireless tethering away for free with the Palm Pre. 'Nuff said.

travelingfool

Reaction score
Well, I should have qualified my statement with the explanation that I am talking about phones that DO have wireless tethering capabilities right out of the box, like the Droid 2 and the X. I definitely see your points if your stock phone doesn't have that capability.

travelingfool

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, and not intended as judgement, but to those of you who who are so eager to say that it is morally wrong to pirate apps, do you apply the same morality when it comes to circumventing the carrier's TOS regarding tethering via pdanet or using rooted wifi hotspot apps for free?

Wrong is wrong, right?

Just for the record, I agree that it is wrong to pirate software. However, I am not adverse to tethering for free.

Logic dictates that my position is ethically inconsistent.

Any takers?

As for wired tethering, we pay x amount of dollars a month for the unlimited and unhindered use of Verizon's 3G network. I can only speak for myself, but I do not cheat Verizon in any way, and gladly pay my $30 a month for unlimited data. By charging an extra fee, Verizon is kind of being cheap by making us pay for a service which we already pay for. By using a free tethering app, we are still using the same unlimited data which we pay for, only we are using it in creative ways.

Lol, this is exactly my stance, and has been for years. I've been Tethering Blackberry's for free for quite some time. We've had voluminous heated discussions about this on crackberry.com, and it's nearly always some sanctimonious VZW rep who jumps into the discussion blathering about how wrong it is and how people are getting busted and how people are seeing bills from VZW for thousands of dollars. (I have yet to see a proof pic posted of this, so I don't believe it)

Anyhow, my opinion is that it is technically wrong, but morally right. Since I am paying for a data package already, why is is their business how I use it?

jdsingle

Reaction score
To all those making comments about taking food off of a musicians table clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. The record labels are the ones that make the money off of the CD's and mp3 downloads, the artist makes a meager share of that at best. They make their money touring.

Is it illegal to pirate apps? Yes. Is it illegal to go over the speed limit and thus increasing the chance of killing someone else in doing so? Yes. But which one is more acceptable? To most of the people on this thread I would say speeding is more "ok" than stealing an application, even though speeding has a worse outcome. Look up utilitarianism from an ethical standpoint.

Stuff like this gets annoying when people say oh no you can't do that...but it is okay for me to be over here doing something that could have much harsher consequences. Anyone that claims they have never once surpassed the speed limit, texted while driving, talked on the phone while driving, is a liar. Oh but that's different too, right?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I cannot believe anyone would ever pirate on the Android platform.

You can afford $30 a month for unlimited data service but cant afford $4 for that live wallpaper? Really?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe anyone would ever pirate on the Android platform.

You can afford $30 a month for unlimited data service but cant afford $4 for that live wallpaper? Really?

That's the point I was making earlier as one of several less incentives vs. pirating music.

But I have a feeling that many are overestimating the financial security many with these phones have. I guarantee there are plenty of smartphone users with $150+ a month phone bills living paycheck-to-paycheck. Just because people spend the money doesn't mean they really have the money. Go into your local cable office and it seems like the ones working out payment plans and months behind on their bills always have top tier package with Showtime, HBO, etc...I bet they have smartphones, too.

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
"piracy" - is very sore subject, and i'm sure that most "people" that know technology, at some point in their live used piracy to get "things"

its based on individual and their moral

but i agree with OP, a buck for really great app is nothing, plus you do get 24hrs to decide if you want it or not.