Android Piracy: A Walk Down Memory Plank

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ocdtrekkie

ocdtrekkie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ROFL

Honestly, I don't think anyone pirating apps *doesn't* know how to do that, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'm sure it's posted elsewhere on the forum too.

But yeah, when it comes to Android apps, there's no real good reason to pirate, if you are paying for a data plan, you probably can afford a $3 app.

I know SpeedX uses a neat little code block that checks if it was installed via Market, and only works if it is to prevent the backup/refund method.

2. travelingfool

travelingfool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of curiosity, and not intended as judgement, but to those of you who who are so eager to say that it is morally wrong to pirate apps, do you apply the same morality when it comes to circumventing the carrier's TOS regarding tethering via pdanet or using rooted wifi hotspot apps for free?

Wrong is wrong, right?

Just for the record, I agree that it is wrong to pirate software. However, I am not adverse to tethering for free.

Logic dictates that my position is ethically inconsistent.

Any takers?

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Verizon says WiFi tethering for the Droid doesn't exist. Therefore there's no way we're doing it, free or otherwise. They have not blocked access to PDA Net, Proxoid, or Easy Tether, from stock phones and those allow free USB tethering, unless you buy the app. Therefore, since rooting/jailbreaking is legal, unless we circumnavigate the security on the built-in USB tethering and use it for free, any program we use (including the one from the Google Code project, like I use) we're merely using a different method, but legal, method to tether.

Logically my reasoning is impeccable, though not without argument. It works for me. :)

By violating our TOS all we're really doing (yes, I know what we're really really doing) is allowing Verizon to terminate our contract. They want our money, so they're loath to do that as long as we're paid up.

4. its.mike

its.mike Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So stealing from a musician who puts the same amount of work into their product is more acceptable? Not to mention their are far more people who rely on record sales then just the artist involved, unlike with most apps where its one or just a few people.

Sent from my DROIDX using my fingers and magic.

5. droidXpert

droidXpert Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow..........

6. devator22

devator22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as wireless tethering goes, Verizon claims it is not possible with the droid, yet I literally use the wireless tether app on my droid daily so I can get my iPod on the internet. Therefore, Verizon refuses to make use of obviously usable technology, so if there is someone who does decide to make use of it, it's Verizon's own fault for missing out on an opportunity.
    As for wired tethering, we pay x amount of dollars a month for the unlimited and unhindered use of Verizon's 3G network. I can only speak for myself, but I do not cheat Verizon in any way, and gladly pay my $30 a month for unlimited data. By charging an extra fee, Verizon is kind of being cheap by making us pay for a service which we already pay for. By using a free tethering app, we are still using the same unlimited data which we pay for, only we are using it in creative ways.
    In short, by pirating an app, we are hurting a developer and discouraging further development. But by using a tether app, we are still paying Verizon. It would be like if you payed a monthly fee to listen to music, but if you wanted to use speakers so that others could also listen, you had to pay twice as much.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Such a BS justification....What you are actually paying for is unlimited data with restrictions or conditions, tethering is expressly NOT included in your $30 data plan.

Companies do that all the time, i.e. you get to check 1 bag with a plane ticket but it has a weight and size restriction.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Where did I say such a thing?

9. titans1

titans1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ah man and another thread bites the dust....lock it...

10. This Green Machine

This Green Machine DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There were a few very good points brought up. First the moral standard of pirating Software vs Music. As someone brought up earlier, you could almost say it's "worse" to rip off the musician. It is my guess that most applications on the market are made by people that are doing it on the side. They most likely have jobs and are coding in their spare time. Bands that are large enough to tour, release a CD, and are signed to a label are probably making music for a living. "Stealing" from a musician is like taking food right off his/her plate. I personally think iTunes has been one of the best anti-piracy tool every made. Similar Napster, to many, iTunes is just so easy.

The second good example was going around Verizon to get free tethering. This is a bit more understandable in terms of less moral angst. Verizon is often seen as the big corporation that charges us way too much. Stealing from the "man" doesn't seem as bad as from our brothers. Ever take office supplies home with you? Same idea.

I have donated money to devs for apps I thought were great and available for free. I want to give talent incentive to stick around. It only makes my experience better if better apps are made. So for developers I'm willing to give money even when not required. I would general not do this for musicians. Maybe I will buy a tshirt and go to a show, but I won't be donating it. Lastly, I am no saint. I would easily tether from Verizon using 3rd party apps and not feel bad. Basically for me (and I assume with most) it becomes an economic sliding scale. Does it make it more morally correct from one side of the scale than another? Absolutely not, but I have no problem sleeping at night.

11. gmmurphy

gmmurphy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i love droidforums.net! now this is entertainment. great opinions, some of you should be writing professionally.
    i sit and type on my think pad using wireless tether. i support developers by paying for apps or buying beer for those who have donation links. i bet 90% of us here can pirate apps but don't because it would be like stealing from family. for those who do pirate, i dont get it. 99 cents! come on, you have a $400-$500 handset, at least $30 for data and whatever call plan, (i pay $180 for two lines) average ill bet $100 a month and you cant pay .99cents for an application that's fun or usefull. for one cup of starbucks premium double mocha with a twist, you could have four fine applications.
    as for my use of wireless tether im fine with it, (my opinion) i pay $60 for data on two phones, data is data regardless on how its used. i don't abuse it, i use it when necessary.

Moral indignation - jealousy with a halo.

- H. G. Wells

12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    One question -- how can anyone feel morally outraged at use of something that a company denies it can be used for, yet so obviously it can be?

They gave wireless tethering away for free with the Palm Pre. 'Nuff said.

Search tags for this page

android backup refund pirate

android buy app backup refund